SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:47 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,648 Posts
Question
Which umx plane?

Hi all im getting a micro for Christmas and i wanted a umx or something with as3x
im a fairly good pilot i started with a champ the got a corsair now i build fast depron planes with ailerons and elevator. I was thinking a gee bee because it looks awesome and i wanted something really scale to fly on occasions would this be suitable for me? Or a carbon cub or I was looking at the Eflite Ask 21 glider but what do you all think?

Cheers Ben
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:54 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
You haven't gotten a UM T-28 yet? It's not AS3X but it's scale and a great little flyer in low winds. Love mine for doing touch-and-goes and all-around flying. I'll let others chime in about the AS3X planes. Quite honestly, at least some of the AS3X planes seem to be working-out some of the bugs, such as with the servos. The ASK-21 has yet to be released. It's suppose to be due out later this month but it's due date has been slipping all year. I decided I'll let some others be the "Beta testers" for this one. I'll probably get an AS3X bird once they're a little more proven. I'd hate spending the extra money and getting a dud. Even if you get something else, such as a Gee Bee, the UM T-28 is a nice little plane to have ready for some fun flying.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:28 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,228 Posts
Yes, you can leave AS3X for later. Id say T-28, or maybe even the AS3X spit, or one of my personal favorites, the Mossie.
The GeeBee you'll find is not a relaxing easy scale plane. Its a scale plane that can be a challenge for anyone. Also, with the Spit or T-28, all the batteries you get from them also work on the corsair and champ, only difference is that the Spit will require 25C batts.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:29 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,133 Posts
+1 ^^^^^^

UM-T28 is a great model.

I just got the UM Spitfire. It is a good "scale flying" model as well. Better aerobatics than the UM-T28. Not as easy to land.

If you are landing on a hard surface, I would suggest the Beast3d or UM-T28.

For grass landings, go for the UM Spitfire.
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:35 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,228 Posts
Yeah, UM t-28. You can get lights from sf design solutions for it, you can put a 808 cam under it for aerial video, its a workhorse of the skies. Its a dog that can do a bit of every trick to please you.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:28 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
What TX are you using? If you have no problems flying the Corsair, then the the New AS3X Sbach would be a good next step. The T-28 is kind of a step back from the Corsair or 4 channel scratch builts.

Based on my experience with my converted AS3X Sbach, the new plane should be easily flyable with a DX5, as it doesn't really need expo.

The Polecat is another plane that flies great without Expo or dual rates. Most of the other micros benefit from some Expo or dual rates.

I wouldn't use the RTF TX for any of these planes, if that is your plan. That just isn't a good idea.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:56 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
There are enough UM's out now, I'd make sure to get one that was good at what I was interested in doing for now. For me, since I love touch-and-goes off of pavement, usually fairly leisurely flying with a few maneuvers and capable of low-and-slow fly bys, the T-28 is perfect. It's also a pretty tough little bird, if you're not too ham fisted with it. If you like tearing-up the skies, speed, aerobatics, other planes fit the bill. "Flyer....know thy self."
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:10 PM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
What TX are you using? If you have no problems flying the Corsair, then the the New AS3X Sbach would be a good next step. The T-28 is kind of a step back from the Corsair or 4 channel scratch builts.

Based on my experience with my converted AS3X Sbach, the new plane should be easily flyable with a DX5, as it doesn't really need expo.

The Polecat is another plane that flies great without Expo or dual rates. Most of the other micros benefit from some Expo or dual rates.

I wouldn't use the RTF TX for any of these planes, if that is your plan. That just isn't a good idea.
A Dx6i is another thing on my chrissy list
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:12 PM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,648 Posts
What about the carbon cub?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:37 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
I've been following the thread on the CC, off-and-on, and almost picked one up but it's "growing pains" have scared me away for awhile. Just didn't want to shell out that much $ and end up with a bad one in the bunch. Sounds like a great performing little plane, if you don't get some bad gear. If HH gets it's QC act together, I'll probably get one eventually. It might be my first AS3X.

I'd definitely get a Dx6 or better for a transmitter, no matter what UM you eventually get. The Dx6 has been working well with my UMs.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:46 PM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,648 Posts
So not a cc? what then omg this is hard!!!!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
Ive got a CC and so far haven't had any of the electronic issues others have had. I did go into it and check everything out before it ever left the ground. Who knows, maybe I just got a good one??? I am having issues with take offs and landings which I don't think are due to pilot error (plane wants to take an uncomtrolable hard left) but otherwise the plane flys excellent. Very stable in wind for a small plane. My UM T-28 is still my favorite plane but I just bought an Sbach today so that might change soon.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:06 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,228 Posts
Dont get a CC though if you only have the rtf tx, you need a DX6i or a DX5e!!!!!!!!!! If your only using the rtf tx, the highest you can go is t-28.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:37 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,235 Posts
If you are doing scratch builds then you may want to get one of the 2S planes. I love my T-28 UM, but it may not be what you are looking for unless you want a fun relaxing scale flyer. I fly mine nearly everyday and it handles wind better than my other UM planes.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:25 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Dont get a CC though if you only have the rtf tx, you need a DX6i or a DX5e!!!!!!!!!! If your only using the rtf tx, the highest you can go is t-28.
Ive got a dx6i