HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Feb 2007
701 Posts
Underlying animosity much here!

I still love ALES despite all the brouhaha.
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:57 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,336 Posts
I have taught our guys the tape goes straight away. i guess next year they can do as they wish.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Ken, it is not what I think, it is what is legal and not. In the U.S., that is SOP and I cannot think it is changing.

I am not wanting to be the Bad American, but we go by the rule book and there is no mention of this issue. You may not like it, but I would suggest you get someone (an AMA member) to begin a rule change for all soaring, TD and ALES, and then we can see where that goes.

Currently this is how the provisional rules read at the AMA for ALES:
http://www.billingsflyingmustangs.co...2Kallevang.pdf

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:09 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,115 Posts
Cool! Thanks to all who made this possible.
Maybe I'll start competing in ALES.

Soar!
Jun
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
SHADYBOY
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2005
75 Posts
Every ALES contest I have flown in the rule is ANY restart of the motor is a 0. Shame on you for even letting go to vote of the flight group.
However I'm not surprised based on your comment below:

So, just like a horse show, the decision of the Judge (CD) is final and I was good to go. The rest is history.

That win at all cost attitude is replusive to me. We are flying model airplanes for cripes sake a little trophy means that much to you. BTW if you won a trophy you should send it back.

Mike
roseberry is offline Find More Posts by roseberry
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 2007
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Cool! Thanks to all who made this possible.
Maybe I'll start competing in ALES.

Soar!
Jun
Just get an e-fuse for your Xploder Jun.
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,772 Posts
Marc,
In Europe and at the Worlds F3J, the contestant is not allowed to touch the tape... You can only pick up the model when the timer says OK....
I was not aware that there were guys still purposely balling the tape... I would not be opposed to a competitor adjusting the tape 90 degrees to the spot, but I would have to insist that the tape layed flat... LJ
Who was the idiot that turned his motor on a second time
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Well Mike, I won, going away. But the statement above was a process out of my control (or even knowledge till it was done) and I would have lived with whatever came my way. It went my way, and those involved knew what happened. Sorry that does not conform to your expectations. I have done things right for my entire time in soaring and I look at it as a sports team getting a call that could go either way in a championship season, you get a couple when karma is on your side.

Marc
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Marc,
In Europe and at the Worlds F3J, the contestant is not allowed to touch the tape... You can only pick up the model when the timer says OK....
I was not aware that there were guys still purposely balling the tape... I would not be opposed to a competitor adjusting the tape 90 degrees to the spot, but I would have to insist that the tape layed flat... LJ
Who was the idiot that turned his motor on a second time
Larry, at our team trials that I have attended, I have never seen anyone told they could not do whatever they wanted with a tape? Whats up...

And you have to be smarter than the technology you are using, just never moved the switch back to off when motor timed out, just that simple.

Marc
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
SHADYBOY
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2005
75 Posts
Marc,

Now that I have cooled off a little, I have no doubt that you have karma points coming your way and your support and leadership in growing the ALES movement is very much appreciated by all. That said you knew it was wrong, in golf we call penalties on ourself (self officiating).

I apologize to you and the readers for coming on to stong as I was not there and therfore the exact circumstances are unkown to me.

Again I do thank you for all you do to promote the growth of this movement.

Mike
roseberry is offline Find More Posts by roseberry
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:54 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Ken, it is not what I think, it is what is legal and not. In the U.S., that is SOP and I cannot think it is changing.

I am not wanting to be the Bad American, but we go by the rule book and there is no mention of this issue. You may not like it, but I would suggest you get someone (an AMA member) to begin a rule change for all soaring, TD and ALES, and then we can see where that goes.

Currently this is how the provisional rules read at the AMA for ALES:
http://www.billingsflyingmustangs.co...2Kallevang.pdf

Marc
My lst comment was not meant to be anti American, but that in England we had the spirit of good sportsmnship drilled into us as very young children. No rule changes or additional rules are needed, if all competitors quit being smart asses, by trying to use field equipment for purposes other than those it was designed for.
I see the words-unsportsmanlike conduct- are in the AMA rules in connection with any effort to prevent the inside air pressure in the fuselage being equalised with the outside air pressure.As a CD( and I have been CDing ALES events all year) I think I might just give a zero for any such conduct I observed.You see the average competitor is reluctant to speak up about such things in case he gets called a "spoil-sport" or worse.
I am very pleased that we can be frank with one another on here without animosity, and I am even more pleased that we now have people such as Larry J. championing our cause.
Now, if the rain forecast for Sunday would change, we could hold our last contest of the year, and it will be my 5th one for the League!

Ken.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Same thing with Denny's next weekend, odds are slim, but fun could be high if it holds. Ken, I understand your sentiment, and by rights, so few folks do this, it really is a non issue. For guys that do it, they are more worried about hitting the ball than flying the landing well, it pretty much hoses them everytime.

Have a good weekend!
Marc
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:39 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,115 Posts
I think that's the plan... to get an e-fuze

Xploder? Where did that come from? From what I've seen, so many other planes should have that term of endearment. LOL If you meant that they xplode to the top spots, then yeah, you're correct.

I haven't seen an ALES competition yet. How are the landings done? I hope it's not that ridiculous 'dorking to the ground' type.

Launches are 200meters? Wow! that's high. Can it be made lower or is that up to CD/organizer discretion?

sorry for the noob Qs

Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Hobbies View Post
Just get an e-fuse for your Xploder Jun.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:36 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,232 Posts
Hi Jun, It's basically like any TD contest... except that everyone launches within 10 seconds of each other, and everyone launches and lands beside their own landing tape.
The time starts when the plane leaves your hand... you get 30 seconds of motor run or 200 meters, whichever comes first. Restarting the motor is a 0 flight.

Not a lot of walking after you get out to the flight line.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:45 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,336 Posts
Jun,

The launch height and task time is at the discretion of the CD. Some altitude limiters can be set to 100, 150 or 200m whereas others can be set to any altitude. The landings have all been tapes that are a circle and either 5 or 10 meters in length and graduated from 0 to 50 points.

ALES is simple to setup, simple to score with an iPad or Laptop and if you've never flown Man-on-Man it's a great spectator sport too! I have a scoring program at my website which explains how the scoring normalization goes too. www.TailwindGliders.com

Oh, late last year I held a clinic at our power club to introduce folks to ALES and this year we've flown 7 contests and have had as many as 16 contestants. This is in the big state geographically but very small in population.

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member