HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:18 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I wonder if the future of clone helis is improving on Align stuff by the clone corporations. Like will I be able to buy a carbon 500 that completely disassembles with 12 screws and has all the right materials/mechanical engineering for each part. That would be sweet.
until you miss a screw lol!
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Jun 2008
470 Posts
Got mine today, took over a month to get to the UK.. I got the silver grips.Tried to undo the screw to check for locktite..very tight, no binding in the bearings and nice and smooth too was i wrong just to fit the damn things and fly? Flies great by the way feels a lot better than the previous clone grips ....
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:09 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,264 Posts
The thrustbearings need grease to last. The are installed dry. Put a soldering iron on the screw before undoing them.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jun 2011
407 Posts
I'm hoping that someone here can answer this... I got one of the new Align dual tail pitch slider assemblies like the one in the first pic.

The little retainer that connects the pitch slider to the tail holder assembly is in the second pic.

I tried to use the tail holder set that came with my HK 450, but the threads in the tail holder are more coarse than the threads on the little piece in pic 2. I had to use that same piece from the HK set to thread the tail holder on. Pic 3 is a comparison.

Problem is (surprise!) that the HK part is totally out of round, and the pitch slider binds on the shaft, lol.

My question is: if you look at the pic closely - and I realize that this is tough to do - can anyone tell me which threads that the Tarot upgrade has? Are they fine or coarse?

If anyone can let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
DudeInMyrtleBch is offline Find More Posts by DudeInMyrtleBch
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,253 Posts
Best to just get this, http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Pitch-Assembly

The align parts come unloctited so the slide will unscrew without any issues. I had to do the same with my 500. Also there is no good way to unscrew one that has already been put together without one of these. http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...33ad9b734c1b76
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
Thought I'd follow up on my earlier post. In spite of the problems, I ordered another unit from Dave at Tarot-rc-heli.com hoping I had just got a dud the first time around.

The new one came in and I pulled it apart. After removing the screws, one side slid off nicely but the other one only moved a few mm. It was nowhere near as stuck as the first part and with just a little more pulling, was also off the hub.

Yay! Both sides were assembled in the correct order! There was no grease or Locktite but I wasn't expecting any. I lubed it all up and put it back together and torqued down both screws. One side was so perfectly nice and smooth and felt sooo good but the other was crunchy. If I backed the tension off the screw it was passable and I could have red Locktited it and been done but I had to mess with it.

The bearings themselves didn't seem bad so I was puzzled. I ended up using the bearings from the new one and one of the grips from the first set. With both fasteners solidly torqued down now both grip sides were absolutely flawless. Locktited it up and did a final assembly - felt so good I kept rotating the grips.

Laid up next to the Align grips with 61MM KBDD blades, the overall length is pretty much identical or within 1/2 mm.

My story should have a happy ending right there but some additional stuff still has me doubting I can use the new thrust bearing grips. I have an aftermarket parts compatibility issue.

I did a finger tight dry test install and it seemed okay. It wasn't - once I tightened up the arms and grub screw, it caused my Microheli tail pitch slider to bind PLUS, the weight on the grip prevented full travel on the slider as it was hitting the bearing on the slider.

I took a Dremel to the weight area for clearance and full slider travel. Tightened it up again and the dang thing was still binding. Called it a night and went to bed.

Took it apart again this morning in the daylight and with refreshed eyes and see the distance between the arm on each grip is closer together than the Align parts. I'm still not giving up yet. I'll try later to shave down the arms a half a mm or so each and see if it goes back together without binding the Microheli pitch slider stuff.

Argh! It might sound like I'm bitching but I really like figuring this stuff out. I like the Tarot grips and am really hoping to use them still.

-- Elisabeth

Sorry for the blurrycam pics
EKron is offline Find More Posts by EKron
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:29 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Got mine at last (post from HK was quick, the German Customs and Excise were a lot slower). WOW, pretty good, well constructed and finished as well as being a decent engineering solution. Stripped it down to grease and thread lock but one of the blade holder would not pop off (like EKron), but of persuading and off she popped, flying across the room loosing the thrust beating in the process!! Spent around an hour looking when my wife came in to ask what I was doing, explained including a description and she just said ‘its over there on the carpet’ before turning away to go and make me a cup of tea!!!! Thing is, it was, totally the opposite direction to where the blade grip flew but quite visible on the floor!! Anyway, fitted it all together and it seems to be the ‘whatever’ (insert your own positive expletive here). I now think that the little voice at the back of my head which starts up every timer that I fly my Baby will stop saying ‘your tail is going to fail at any moment’ will now shut up but it will need a few flights to tell.
Watch this space.
Now flown, SEXY!!! Tail locks quicker and after 5 flights NO play and the blade holders move smooooooooth.
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:33 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,253 Posts
After about 50 flights on mine, I don't like them. I think we are starting to make to much rotating mass. I thought it was just the temp when I had to lower my gain, but the other day and today I could not go into idle 2 without the tail going. Took the links off and everything is still smooth. So I have a old set of 450xl plastic blade grips from my old 450sa I put on and I have never flown something so solid lol! everything I threw at it came back locked. Makes me think we just keep on manufacturing more problems. If you look at some of the best helicopters out there that you never hear of issues with the tail. Their whole assembly is plastic and has zero weight it them. Logo, thunder tiger, compass, and the others extremely thin and light metal without any chunks of chinese weight mods.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,658 Posts
Gyroscopic precession

I think there's a lot of truth in that! With anything that rotates, such as a heli main or tail rotor, there will be gyroscopic precessional forces, and the heavier the rotor the larger those forces will be, gving the gyro more work to do to counter them. I really like the all-plastic tail on my 50-size nitro Kyosho Caliber, which uses a forked arm and two-part plastic grips, and has zero slop.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:20 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
That makes me feel better about ordering two of these: http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...d=4877&osCsid= They are fine with a 3200 head speed.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:31 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,884 Posts
I couldn't be happier with both of mine on a 450 Sport (silver) and a 450 Pro (black). I didn't need to change the tail gain on either of the helis and both are flying really well. One has a KST DS115MG for the tail servo and the other a HK-732MG. Standard plastic pitch linkages.

I'm just about to add another one to an ALZRC Devil 450 FAST.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Nov 15, 2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:23 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,253 Posts
It must be the orange ones lol! stay away from the orange ones
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:56 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,884 Posts
I fitted another black trust bearing tail to a 450 Pro v2 tail tonight. Both blade holders came off with a slight tug and after applying a drop scorpion bearing oil to the thrust bearings went back on by carefully doing up the blade holder hub screw. The bearings were very smooth on both blade holders. With this tail there were no problems with clearances of the blade holder weights, at full pitch.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:17 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,658 Posts
Good to see the new style slider works with the thrust tail rotor. Does the forked arm use four ball-headed bolts?

Edit: upon a closer look at your (great) pics, it looks like compact button head bolts thru small bearings. Gonna have to try this setup!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:40 PM
United States, CA, Indio
Joined Dec 2006
56 Posts
Hey BF, what link arms and slider bushing are those? Is that bushing long enough, and more importantly, concentric?
lotechgreg is offline Find More Posts by lotechgreg