Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:18 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Discussion
anyone know where i can get brushed motors?

for some reason i decided to buy 2 20 amp brushed ESC's from hobbyking but i dont know where i can get a brushed motor from, helps?
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:51 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,387 Posts
Is there a specific plane/project you have in mind?

Generally, brushed motors are run with gearboxes because their Kvs tend to be in the very high ranges. In some ways that makes them more versatile than something like a brushless outrunner because you can tweak gear ratios and get different effective Kv ranges with the same motor (assuming the gearbox has provisions for different ratios).

Tower still has some brushed motors and gearboxes listed. BP also has some brushed motors, gearboxes, and motor/gearbox combos. For faster-flying models, Speed 400 motors with small direct-drive props (6V and 7.2V winds) aren't uncommon and would work fine with your 20A ESCs.

You can also use those ESCs to control LEDs or pretty much anything that requires variable direct current. They're handy to have around even if you're not flying them.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:19 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Is there a specific plane/project you have in mind?

Generally, brushed motors are run with gearboxes because their Kvs tend to be in the very high ranges. In some ways that makes them more versatile than something like a brushless outrunner because you can tweak gear ratios and get different effective Kv ranges with the same motor (assuming the gearbox has provisions for different ratios).

Tower still has some brushed motors and gearboxes listed. BP also has some brushed motors, gearboxes, and motor/gearbox combos. For faster-flying models, Speed 400 motors with small direct-drive props (6V and 7.2V winds) aren't uncommon and would work fine with your 20A ESCs.

You can also use those ESCs to control LEDs or pretty much anything that requires variable direct current. They're handy to have around even if you're not flying them.
i dont know what im gonna use it for, just experiments i guess. mabey il throw it onto my super ultra micro gws slow stick clone. i do have 2 brushed motors from a crap toy coaxial chopper which i got off ebay, it cost $50 and never worked.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:31 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,983 Posts
I flew brushed motors for many years before brushless motors came within my price range, in fact my B-25, (93" span), only got converted to brushless within the last two years. Also my GWS C-47 is still flying with brushed, and my electric glider. So don't give up on flying brushed.

Many of the cheaper trainer planes still have brushed motors.

As for where ?, as you're in Australia, I don't know, but many model shops still probably stock some. Many RC cars may still use brushed motors, so there is a possible source. Also do a local search on Graupner Speed motors, probably the '380' and '400' series, as the '600' series may be too much for the 20A rated ESC.s, (depending on which prop and what voltage).

There are also the cheaper Mabuchi brushed motors, sometimes referred to as 380's, 400's and 540 size.

There should still be gearboxes and belt drives available if you want to turn larger props.

A couple of smaller brushed motors are still ideal for a simple twin.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:38 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,983 Posts
I even converted a glider to removable electric power, (to also keep it as a pure glider), with a couple of Speed 400 brushed motors in a simple removable pusher rig.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:47 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,734 Posts
That's a neat twin glider. I have never changed out the brushed motor in my Easy-Star; when/if I get a Twinstar, I will probably keep the brushed motors since using brushless motors requires a brushless ESC for each one -- the cost goes up rapidly.

I also use LIPOs and land when the power diminishes, so the lack of a LIPO-specific cut-off is not a problem.

howell

Also have a geared 600 which will go in a Great Planes Electricub one of these days......
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:55 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
true i can get the motors from cheapy toy rc cars, i have 2 (good brand and QC pass, but still a toy). yeah, il just go to toys r us and buy some cheap rc cars lol

oh and also i can take the motors from scrap dead servos, i just took the one out of my skyartec one. the plastic sticks holding the gears on came off
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:04 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,874 Posts
A servo motor won't swing a prop... and I wouldn't waste money on an entire R/C Car when you can get decent motors from GWS and Great Planes for under $10. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=GHA

20A speed controls should be good for up to a Speed 400.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:03 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
A servo motor won't swing a prop... and I wouldn't waste money on an entire R/C Car when you can get decent motors from GWS and Great Planes for under $10. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=GHA

20A speed controls should be good for up to a Speed 400.
i dont really want to spend 10 bucks on a brushed motor, il just keep the ESC's for experiments and random eletronic tinkering and stuff.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:26 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
I'm surprised no one hasn't mentioned Stevens Aero.

http://www.stevensaero.com/Motor-Brushed-p-1-c-108.html

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
847 Posts
lol on the free table at your local field.
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:47 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,983 Posts
colj00, if you need to know where some of the Australian suppliers are, there is a forum dedicated to Australia where you could ask some of your compatriots -

http://www.rcgroups.com/australia-307/

There are quite a few regional forums under -

http://www.rcgroups.com/regional-forums-270/
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:59 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Why do people use brushed motors in gliders? Is it because the motor is not used as much and it would be cheaper?
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
i dont know what im gonna use it for, just experiments i guess. mabey il throw it onto my super ultra micro gws slow stick clone. i do have 2 brushed motors from a crap toy coaxial chopper which i got off ebay, it cost $50 and never worked.
nahh... both my walkera helicopters are brushed motors, you can get that brushed motor here or many other places http://www.nitroplanes.com/hm-v400d02-z-25.html
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:04 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
Why do people use brushed motors in gliders? Is it because the motor is not used as much and it would be cheaper?
Other than cheap they are high KV motors and work well with the small props and the mounting is simple with the pusher pod type designs.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky