SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:17 AM
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
Help!
Which transmitter and reciever?

Hi Guys!

New in the hobby, and looking for some advice.

I recently ordered parts home for a quadcopter, and hope to get well into the hobby!

In the end i would like to be able to use this for FPV flight

Right now, all i am missing is a transmitter, and a reciever, and have NO clue what to buy. Some people say brand x is popo, and other say brand y is popo.

The parts i have ordered for the quadcopter is:

And some small parts (scews, Lipo alarms etc)

But what transmitter do people here reccomend? And what do you think of my combo above?

I have been looking at the spektrum DX8. What is the range on transmitters like this?

Regards
Hans Peder Sahl
metap0Pe is offline Find More Posts by metap0Pe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metap0Pe View Post
Hi Guys!

New in the hobby, and looking for some advice.

I recently ordered parts home for a quadcopter, and hope to get well into the hobby!

In the end i would like to be able to use this for FPV flight

Right now, all i am missing is a transmitter, and a reciever, and have NO clue what to buy. Some people say brand x is popo, and other say brand y is popo.

The parts i have ordered for the quadcopter is:

And some small parts (scews, Lipo alarms etc)

But what transmitter do people here reccomend? And what do you think of my combo above?

I have been looking at the spektrum DX8. What is the range on transmitters like this?

Regards
Hans Peder Sahl

I bought this one along with my first quad:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html

I have used for more then a year now and had no problems with it so far. Just upgrade it with a LiPo TX battery and later maybe get a FRSKY module and receiver for it.

For the price you can't really go wrong.
Gh05trider is offline Find More Posts by Gh05trider
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:51 AM
India, Telangana, Hyderabad
Joined Aug 2011
794 Posts
A very nice choice of motors (dt750s) and ESCs (F-30A). (Did you flash them with SimonK?)
I agree with Gh05trider, go for the 9x.
And buy a baclkight LCD too, it's not a peripheral, but almost necessary.
You can upgrade to FrSky module later.
vineet_p is offline Find More Posts by vineet_p
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:51 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,146 Posts
Yup- that Turnigy 9x is very popular, and works well according to what I've heard. Cheap too.

I like my Spektrum DX7, and have been using it for years. One nice thing about Spektrum is that you can buy the inexpensive Orange clone recievers from HobbyKing, and they work just fine.
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:16 AM
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Jul 2012
331 Posts
LIPO ALARM!!! Take it off your shopping list, the KK2 has a built in Lipo Alarm.
CH33ZEBURG3R is offline Find More Posts by CH33ZEBURG3R
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:19 AM
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
Thanks for the reply´s!

I am just very nervous about buing a transmitter that costs 50$ considdering most others i have looked at is around 10 times that price (DX7 and DX8).

Why the huge gap between them?

I would like to have a BIG range, like 1- 1.5 KM if possible, as i would love to fly FPV later on, on this thing.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:43 AM
Australia, VIC, Narre Warren South
Joined Jul 2012
78 Posts
I'm happy with the 9x , I did just re-flash with the open9x which got rid of the most annoying key beeps I have seen, also always you to do all the setting on the PC and upload them, easier that the menu. It realy needs to have the FRSKY module fitted to get a failsafe
Zapphoid is offline Find More Posts by Zapphoid
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:28 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Because the name brands know they can charge that kind of money for their transmitters and people will pay for them. I personally wouldn't buy something that expensive, my 9X has performed flawlessly since day 1. Sure, you won't find gimbals with bearings or anything on this one, but I wouldn't say that the quality is bad or anything. It feels solid, it doesn't bend or squeak. Everything responds well etc.

It is recommended to inspect it though, just to be safe. Oh, and a FrSky JR module with telemetry is a must on these things. You'll get proper failsafe and great range, probably around 1.5 to 2.5km or so.

Keep the lipo alarm if it's the green 2-4S version with two buzzers. Those are LOUD!
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:29 AM
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Jul 2012
331 Posts
i also have the 9x and although i haven't looked into flashing it as iv'e only had it 4 weeks, i'm very happy with it and was recommended to get it for all the things you can actually do on it,more or less the same as a $400 tx.
CH33ZEBURG3R is offline Find More Posts by CH33ZEBURG3R
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:37 AM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
yups.. 9X all the way!
i have one flashed to ER9X and i have a very expensive Graupner. the graupner costs almost 20 times more than the 9X... and since i have the (ER)9X the graupner has not been used anymore.. the (ER)9X just brings the Graupner to shame in behalf of mixing and ease of use.

a stock 9X isn't that great, but flash open source firmwarw like ER9X to it and it blasts away the big brands!

get a 9X, backlight and a life (lipo puts to much strain on the Vregs) and flash it.. you will never go back! and if it breaks over the years, it's that cheap you won't mind.. i use my 9X in the rain and in the dunes, i lay it in the sand and the wet grass.. i smoke and ashes will fall on it.. i don't mind, it's a cheap TX so if it breaks i'm down 50 bucks instead of several 100's. whilst it perferms as systems of several 100's of bucks
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
alright. Sounds like Turnigy is the way to go then.

Any recomendations off what to buy? I was thinking this combo:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Module.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html

But can i buy the module less version and just add the frsky module?

And can i use the reciever that is with the transmitter, or will i need to buy another reciever like this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...968&aff=548976

Thanks in advance.

Anything that can be bought from Europe has top priority:P
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:57 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Get the FrSky JR module instead so you don't have to open up the transmitter and solder things inside it. Doesn't matter if you pick the module-less version or not. About the module-less version, they've added some kind of plastic lip to the pins in the module slot, the plastic around the pins must be removed or the FrSky module won't fit. This is easy to do, so don't worry about that. I believe the FrSky JR module is sold together with an 8ch receiver over at Hobbyking.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts
Get this one if you want hassle free install:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8FR_II_RX.html

I use it and can confirm even idiots can install it
Gh05trider is offline Find More Posts by Gh05trider
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
Can you please link, so I am absolutely sure not to mess things up? :P
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
Also, what is the difference between mode 1, and mode 2?

Sorry for the heapload of questions. Ancious to get startet, and i will most likely hurry to much hah...