HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:57 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
I knew that Frank was a great fan of the Legionair when he lived in Huntsville but neve saw him fly a Shuttle. Was that after he moved to Colorado?
He stuck with the Legionaires, the Shuttle was reserved for me. I always liked wierd designs. (-: My Shuttle 78 was mostly complete when we moved to CO, but he took a long soaring hiatus around that time. We finished it up and he taught me to fly with it in the late 80s. I still have the wings and tail, not sure what happened to the fuse...
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Last edited by rdeis; Oct 15, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:08 PM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
There was no AMA Nats until 1976 and Frank won the 75 SOAR Nats. I was there to watch him win. Maybe Frank or someone will tell what happened to his design that should have won best original design at the 74 SOAR Nats.
I was 3, but I know some of that- I took the answer to the "History" thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=677
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:08 PM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Back on the shuttle, were the fuse dimensions the same for all of the wing sizes, or did they extend the tail?

The132 in the video has a much bigger fin than my 78 did..
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Apr 2005
395 Posts
Thought about the same thing myself. In the ad copies that Mr. Kite posted, it definitely looks like the same fuselage is used for both the 100" and 132" w. s. versions. Looking at the picture of the 78 incher, however, it's hard to tell.

The ads mention another fact that I had not known previously in that the 100" and 132" wings for the Shuttle are the same as those for the Legionaire. For Shuttle kits, since Ray already has the Legionaire kits available, all he needs to do is provide the additional parts for the Shuttle fuselages (hint, hint ).
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
493 Posts
Shuttle 78

The Shuttle 78 the tail is 24"x4.5" sheet.. only can copair with the tail of the Legion Air 100 which is 24.5" x7" build up and the Legion Air 140 which is 28"x8" also a build up one and the Rudder on the 140 is larger then the one on the 100" Legion Air....
Mr. Kite is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Kite
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:25 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
493 Posts
Shuttles

Going back to the adds it looks like the Shuttled all have the same tail.....
Mr. Kite is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Kite
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:02 PM
wlm
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2003
36 Posts
The shuttle used the same wing that the Legionair used. If you had a 132" Legionair wing it would fit on a 100" shuttle. I think the same was true for the 78" shuttle. The inboard panel
for the 100",132", and 140" as well as the 78" had the same cord length, joiner rod diameter,
same spar tube dia, and wing aligment pin location. You could change wing span easily. The wing span was done by changing inboard and tip panel lengths. It was necessay to install a
gap filler piece at the fuselage to wing joint to make up for the angle of the wing to the fuse .
How do I know? I have a 100" shuttle hanging on the shop wall and that is what I did
The adds for the shuttle rudders look strange to me. It looks as if the rudder does not extend much above the stab. That is not the case for mine. It is Cecil's usual counterbalanced rudder and extends well above the stab. The shuttle fuse length was the same for the 132",100",
and the 78" if my memory is correct. The Legionair wing was a good wing. It was light, very
flexable, and also strong. With light wing loading and 8% thickness the designs of Cecil in
the 70's kind of parallels what we are doing today with our moldys. The Legionairs flew great
and the Shuttle did the same.
wlm is offline Find More Posts by wlm
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:17 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
I think you guys are spelling this all wrong... It's S - H - O - V - E - L.... isn't it???

Cecil didn't like that joke much, but he always put up with me. I hope you guys will, too...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlm View Post
The adds for the shuttle rudders look strange to me. It looks as if the rudder does not extend much above the stab.
My '78 looks very much like the ads. The fixed part of the fin is a tiny trangular piece that sits on top of the stab, probably no more than an inch high. Everything above that is balanced rudder.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:15 PM
wlm
Joined Sep 2003
36 Posts
rdeis. I took a look at my 78" shuttle kit plans. The fin is as you describe, the rudder is about
3 and 1/2 inches tall including the fin as measured from the stab to top of the rudder. I checked my 100" shuttle and the height of the rudder top to stab is about 5 and 1/2 inches so the bigger wing span used a larger rudder.
The fuse of the 78 is the same size and length as the 100 & 132.
I think the reason the add pictures from Mr. Kite for the shuttles look a little strange to me is Cecil must have used the 78" shuttle fuse (with its short rudder) then changed to the 100" and 132" wings for those pictures. Bill
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:28 PM
wlm
Joined Sep 2003
36 Posts
Jack. You just sound a little upset that it was not your idea to make a design that gets everyone's attention when it shows up at the flying field. Missed you friday for RES at TNT. I
sure could have used "a hot dog sailplane pilot" to coach me. It was windy. Hope all is well for you. Bill
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Well, my OFB Bill... I was never upset that I didn't design the Shuttle... Where were you Saturday and Sunday... We had a windy time... I actually flew with ballast... I'm hoping by Christmas to have some stuff done so I can actually start flying again, regularly. My performance at TNT was indicative of just how rusty I really am.

Darth Hot Dawg...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:54 PM
wlm
Joined Sep 2003
36 Posts
Jack. Too windy is right. With those kind of winds TD flying is more of a chore than fun unless you are doing it on the slope. Get your chores done so we can go fly. Bill