HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by verticalspark, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:32 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
Discussion
Top of Pikes Peak

So we had a 4 day weekend before we head out for training. Well me and a good buddy decided to go to the top of pikes peak as its one of the last weekends available/good weather before we deploy.

So after loading a medium ruck with all the essentials(food, clothes, extra .45 rounds) we started the accent at 5:30. About half way up my knee started to hurt again so we took a short break, ate some snacks and some pain meds. Well it turns out the birds were hungry too so we started to see exactly how close the would get to us. Turns out they had no problems at all walking up and eating out of your hand. So when the food ran out we decided it was best to leave before the birds figured it out and turned out lives into a 60's horror film.

We arrived at the top around 1:30 where the wife was kind enough to wait (I had told her 12) in a warm car. So we did what we set out to do, climb pikes peak, strip down to our battalion t-shirt, tan boots and ranger panties and take a picture next to the pikes peak sign Im fairly certain my wife wasnt the only person taking pictures of us walking around in those skimpy little shorts. It was after all hovering around 15* and windy.

I also used the GoPro with the head mount but most of the pics came out blurry. So I may add more pics if I can find some good ones.

And I rented an apartment after ours jacked up the price. So after this next week its in the plans to order a FancyFoam 42" EPP extra in the green assuming my little stash stays hidden from the other half.

Adam
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:35 AM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,361 Posts
Pikes Peak Comments

Hey Adam,

First, thanks for your service to your country! I was in the USAF from '73 til '78 as a dental lab tech, with medic as our secondary field (yeah, I ran that confidence course while carrying an occupied litter).
I really enjoyed your photos from Pikes Peak. My wife and I were married in 1977 and traveled to Pikes Peak and other Colorado and New Mexico stops on our honeymoon. Those photos tell me that it still looks pretty much like it did back then. I also entered the RC flying hobby in '73 after flying full-sized planes and getting my private license. I didn't read far enough into your blog......did you guys fly RC from the top of the mountain? Have a good one and best regards and Godspeed on your deployment, sir!

Larry
txflyboys2
txflyboys2 is offline Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:00 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
I didnt fly anything at the top because we hiked up. When I go back to fly on top of the mountain I will drive up it Im not lazy but it was a little over 7 hour hike and I really didnt feel like carrying a plane, tx and extra batteries.

Here is some of the pics from the GoPro. A lot of them didnt turn out good enough as they were blurry.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue