SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:27 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,463 Posts
Discussion
AQM-37C Jayhawk Target Drone

I finally got around to upscaling my Jayhawk target drone 1.5x. 30" wingspan, 71" long. Used laminated 6mm sheets with staggered joints, and hs-65 mg servos with carbon reinforced wire pushrods to get the servo weight forward. I inset the nose weight into the nose section before gluing the pieces together so it is hidden. Just a single carbon tube for the wing spar, and some styrene sheet for reinforcing the bottom where landing scrapes would happen. The wingtips are slotted half way and plug into wing tabs. Turned out nice and stiff and the AUW is right at 35 ounces, same as the X-15 but with more wing area. Since this is an upscale of the original, the wing area is scaled proportionately, which means the wing is larger than scale, this is mainly to get the flight CG ahead of the lateral CG so I don't have lateral stability problems.

I like the C model because it isn't all red which allowed me to leave some of the depron unpainted to save weight, and it looks a bit different than all the others out there. Decals I made due with what I had and took some artistic license and used my sharpie for panel lines.

Right around 1000 sq inches of area.

I've found that the vinyl doesn't want to stick to the testors paint, so I had to use 3m-77 spray on them and then attach them, takes more time and you have to be more careful.

Maiden flight was great, I've settled on the Aerotech 29mm SU F-26FJ, boost isn't terribly high, but it is nice and straight and low stress on the airframe.

Video at:

RC Rocket boosted X-15 and Jayhawk Glider flights on F motors (1 min 14 sec)

Update 12/2013 I added a motor mount which inserts into the motor mount and is held in place with a screw. A grayson super megajet V2 motor and 6x5.5 motor was used with a 2100 25C 3s pack. It flies quite well on this setup, but it needs 50% throttle to maintain altitude and 80% if you want any speed. Still for the wing loading it's fine and allows me to fly it more often. On anything less than 20% throttle it will start to settle and is coming down, so plan your approach with power left and keep it level and just chop and flare right at the end.
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Dec 10, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2013, 12:42 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,463 Posts
I made an adapter that fits and secures into the rear motor pod and am going to try a grayson super mega jet motor on this and convert it to a pusher, I'm hoping the flight weight of about 37 oz won't be too high, given the wing area it shouldn't need much speed to stay in the air.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures from KSC