HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2003, 08:47 AM
Bowie, MD
Joined Aug 2003
43 Posts
Old Futaba Radio & Receiver Question

Hello everyone,

I have an older model Futaba 6NHP conquest radio and R128 receiver that works pretty good with no problems.

I was hoping to find out if I had any other options in choosing a receiver or do I have to purchase the same exact receiver I now have.

I know my radio is old, but I really don't feel the need at the moment to upgrade.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Rod
rjeffers is offline Find More Posts by rjeffers
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2003, 09:05 AM
Flying RC since 1974
Del Norte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2002
736 Posts
If it is a gold labled transmitter, it should work just fine with any Futaba shift reciever on the same channel.

Since it is an older radio, it would not be a bad idea to box it up and send it to a good radio shop like Radio South, or the Futaba service center for cleaning and a retune.

Cheap insurance.
ctdahle is offline Find More Posts by ctdahle
Old Dec 04, 2003, 11:51 AM
Bowie, MD
Joined Aug 2003
43 Posts
Thanks for the response. As far as clearning and tuning is concerned, I'm not sure I need it since I've been flying my P-51 with it for the past couple years with no glitches, etc.

I contacted Towers and they told me that I could only use a 512 PCM type receiver and that those receivers aren't made anymore. Looks like I'm stalling the envitable.
rjeffers is offline Find More Posts by rjeffers
Old Dec 05, 2003, 06:39 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jun 2003
206 Posts
Can you change from PCM to PPM

I am not sure with your transmitter but many of the older Futaba's could be used either PCM or PPM. If so, you could use a regular PPM FM receiver from Futaba or any of the Futaba shift receiver mfgs. Do you have the manual? If so see if you can change from PCM to PPM.

Bob
BobHH is online now Find More Posts by BobHH
Old Dec 06, 2003, 09:53 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
If you haven't got the manual, you can get a copy from http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/ as it's listed as available (free) in .pdf format.

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Dec 06, 2003, 10:39 AM
Flying RC since 1974
Del Norte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2002
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rjeffers
Thanks for the response. As far as clearning and tuning is concerned, I'm not sure I need it since I've been flying my P-51 with it for the past couple years with no glitches, etc.

I contacted Towers and they told me that I could only use a 512 PCM type receiver and that those receivers aren't made anymore. Looks like I'm stalling the envitable.
I wouldn't accept what Tower tells you as gospel. There are a lot of people who sell Futaba shift recievers, for example:

https://www.fmadirect.com/site/home.htm

As for getting it checked and tuned, the fact that it has been glitch free for years is not a reason to be complacent. There are in fact many wearing parts in your radio, especially in the stick assemblies. Most shops only charge about 20 bucks to check everything out. They can find a worn feedback pot before it fails and leaves your plane at full right rudder and full down elevator.

Be that as it may, it is an old radio, and you have been flying long enough that you obviously know you enjoyi it. So upgrading to a good computer six or better would be a nice Christmas present for yourself.
ctdahle is offline Find More Posts by ctdahle
Old Dec 06, 2003, 05:45 PM
Lillian, Al.
Joined Apr 2002
13 Posts
If your radio is 512 PCM, the r124dp and R127dp receivers are 512 and 1024 auto selectable. Meaning they will work with either. There should be some floating around, I've seen them on Ebay from time to time.

Did you sell your JR X3I ? Want to trade it for some airplane stuff?

Hope this helps,
Bob
bones99 is offline Find More Posts by bones99