HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Help!
Coax brushless conversion help

So I used the brushless conversion kit from wowhobbies on a walkera lm130d01 since it's almost the same as a 5#10 but it won't take off. I did everything I should have but it will only just slide across the floor at full throttle. Maybe a motor or esc is bad but I have sent them a question but I hear it takes awhile to get a response. Has anyone had this problem when converting to brushless using the 2900kv c10 motors?
gearwolf is offline Find More Posts by gearwolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Oct 2005
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearwolf View Post
So I used the brushless conversion kit from wowhobbies on a walkera lm130d01 since it's almost the same as a 5#10 but it won't take off. I did everything I should have but it will only just slide across the floor at full throttle. Maybe a motor or esc is bad but I have sent them a question but I hear it takes awhile to get a response. Has anyone had this problem when converting to brushless using the 2900kv c10 motors?
I'm not familiar with the Walkera Im130d01 but I do have an older wowhobbies brushless conversion C10 motors and ESC's in an upgraded Eflite CX2.
What I and others have found is that although a 2 cell 7.4 volt battery will work, you will get much better power and performance from using a 3 cell 11.1v battery. So if you aren't using an 11.1v battery already, give that a try to see if it solves the problem.
bebev is offline Find More Posts by bebev
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebev View Post
I'm not familiar with the Walkera Im130d01 but I do have an older wowhobbies brushless conversion C10 motors and ESC's in an upgraded Eflite CX2.
What I and others have found is that although a 2 cell 7.4 volt battery will work, you will get much better power and performance from using a 3 cell 11.1v battery. So if you aren't using an 11.1v battery already, give that a try to see if it solves the problem.
Even when they advise not to? The esc's are turnigy 6A and even hobbyking says it can but not warranted. I'm guessing no one had a fire then if people found it better with a 3 cell. Mine won't even get off the ground on a 2 cell.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:26 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,205 Posts
The brushless kits from Wowhobbies usually suck. Those C10 motors are often times wound with aluminum instead of copper. The bearings are weak, and the motors run hot. Next, no one uses 6a esc's anymore. Not even for 2s apps. When I used wowhobbies brushless kits in the past my experience with them was close to a nightmare. And I rate their customer service as the worst I have ever seen. Stick that system on 3s and go fly. I ran Turnigy 6a esc's on my 3s Cx3 for a while when it was at stock weight. After this I upgraded to the Turnigy 10a esc's and 1811-2900 motors and never looked back.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Luvmyhelis thanks for helping me out again. Your knowledge is always welcome. I'll strap on a 3s and cross my fingers. I figured the motors/esc were bad news when I would see power drops. I ordered some different escs and some BL 2030-16 Brushless Inrunner Motor 5800kv. But I will have to also look into your suggested motors. I'm probably heavier than stock now since I wanted to use a stabilization system as a test bed for a proof of concept to use for another project I have that has been having some problems. Luckily the ins board works well with a vtail mixer, which was the only thing I could test. Plus this has been a good trainer that I should've started on in the first place.

ps Thank you bebev too for your input.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Luvmyhelis thanks for helping me out again. Your knowledge is always welcome. I'll strap on a 3s and cross my fingers. I figured the motors/esc were bad news when I would see power drops. I ordered some different escs and some BL 2030-16 Brushless Inrunner Motor 5800kv. But I will have to also look into your suggested motors. I'm probably heavier than stock now since I wanted to use a stabilization system as a test bed for a proof of concept to use for another project I have that has been having some problems. Luckily the ins board works well with a vtail mixer, which was the only thing I could test. Plus this has been a good trainer that I should've started on in the first place.

ps Thank you bebev too for your input.
Funny I'm doing a very similar conversion on my hand built 5#10, I've gone though 3 motors now trying to make this work, 2 were completely my fault, dropped them, magnets separated (however I would think the should be able to take a bit more punishment!). The other's motor mounting screw stripped about 2 minutes into the process and try as I might I could not retap it.

How are the 2030-16's turn out? I'm thinking inrunners would be better in this case
nycbjr is offline Find More Posts by nycbjr
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbjr View Post
Funny I'm doing a very similar conversion on my hand built 5#10, I've gone though 3 motors now trying to make this work, 2 were completely my fault, dropped them, magnets separated (however I would think the should be able to take a bit more punishment!). The other's motor mounting screw stripped about 2 minutes into the process and try as I might I could not retap it.

How are the 2030-16's turn out? I'm thinking inrunners would be better in this case
I haven't tried them but they are bigger than the original brushed motors. I'm afraid it won't work due to the weight, but I might be wrong. I can't test it since I stripped a main gear and pinion. I really don't want to push the rpm since I've done that before and the blade grips sheared off. I am also having the same problem you have with stripping the tapped holes.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
I haven't tried them but they are bigger than the original brushed motors. I'm afraid it won't work due to the weight, but I might be wrong. I can't test it since I stripped a main gear and pinion. I really don't want to push the rpm since I've done that before and the blade grips sheared off. I am also having the same problem you have with stripping the tapped holes.
Well then these might not be the appropriate motors then lol, I'll let you know how I make out on mine!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Well then these might not be the appropriate motors then lol, I'll let you know how I make out on mine!
So I got her flying this weekend with the turbo ace motors and wow's kit, its fast, and takes off like a rocket..

only thing I can figure out is after a second or 2 the gyros (I think at least) are over compensating... the heli starts to move in a circle (maintain's altitude), almost concentric in nature.

The receiver is a rx-2452v, 3 axis from a lm130d1 (converted to a 5#d), she flew fine b4 using this receiver and stock motors.. not sure what could be causing the concentric circles.. ideas?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Quote:
So I got her flying this weekend with the turbo ace motors and wow's kit, its fast, and takes off like a rocket..

only thing I can figure out is after a second or 2 the gyros (I think at least) are over compensating... the heli starts to move in a circle (maintain's altitude), almost concentric in nature.

The receiver is a rx-2452v, 3 axis from a lm130d1 (converted to a 5#d), she flew fine b4 using this receiver and stock motors.. not sure what could be causing the concentric circles.. ideas?
Maybe you have to adjust the yaw, pitch and roll trims to stop that or it is slightly forward left heavy and you need to adjust your cg. Sounds funny talking about cg of a micro heli with 3axis gyro system but it's not the best I've seen. Also I don't know if you found this but I was having weird lag with that system. It didn't occur when I used the upgrade with a different stabilization system.

Btw what size battery are you using? What transmitter? And do you have a pic of your 5#d? Also which motor exactly did you use?

Congrats on making it fly.
Last edited by gearwolf; Oct 20, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:16 PM
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
The brushless kits from Wowhobbies usually suck. Those C10 motors are often times wound with aluminum instead of copper. The bearings are weak, and the motors run hot. Next, no one uses 6a esc's anymore. Not even for 2s apps. When I used wowhobbies brushless kits in the past my experience with them was close to a nightmare. And I rate their customer service as the worst I have ever seen. Stick that system on 3s and go fly. I ran Turnigy 6a esc's on my 3s Cx3 for a while when it was at stock weight. After this I upgraded to the Turnigy 10a esc's and 1811-2900 motors and never looked back.
I must agree
sonnier00 is offline Find More Posts by sonnier00
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,205 Posts
Quote:

Your flybar is too tight. Either due to it, or links. This is the toilet bowl effect and is always always flybar related.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Your flybar is too tight. Either due to it, or links. This is the toilet bowl effect and is always always flybar related.
Yeah I figured that out lol, still love it, whomever came up with that term decribes it to a T!

So i've been flying it with the brushless convresion kit now for about 2-3 weeks, and its now cutting out, can't put my finger on this one, its flying along, then if I apply rudder to spin, it cuts out and well crashes.. lol

I'm ready to get better motors, any suggestions?

To clarify my heli is basically a Walkera 5#10 with the electrics from a lm130d (the 4 in 1, 7.4v etc).
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,205 Posts
Get the Turnigy 1811-2900 at hobbyking. Vastly superior motor. They use copper windings whereas the ones you are using have cheapo aluminum in them. Half a dozen different issues can cause the motors to cut out.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:03 AM
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
I actually got mine to fly with a different stabilization system and it works fine, the only problem I was having was a lack of bec power since I only used 1 bec. I just popped the other one on and it runs fine. Now I have to deal with crashes, they either strip out the gears or the blades break. Are you guys using those styrofoam blades? I can't stand them. One wrong hit on a blade of grass and they blow apart.