HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:03 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,112 Posts
A bit faster than scale , but looks great on the water. About like my sportfisherman made on a lobster boat hull. It's also faster than scale but fun to run.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, FL, Valrico
Joined Mar 2011
52 Posts
Wow, rough day at the lake. A good lesson for all of us though. Hope you are feeling better today.
QuickLTD is offline Find More Posts by QuickLTD
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Mar 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Tony has told me many times to take OFF those Trim Tabs! He installed them because he had Brushless Power on the model before I took ownership. However, I just like the looks of those Trim Tabs.

Tony tells me that if I remove them the Bow will raise UP higher..
You can keep them just bend them up a bit and see what happens.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:55 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLTD View Post
Wow, rough day at the lake. A good lesson for all of us though. Hope you are feeling better today.
Oh, I feel great! It seems like I needed to get into RC Boats just for the rowing activity!

Hey, just got done testing the Current / Watts Draw using the 3.0:1 gearbox ratio with the Modified Monster Motor, Kyosho Endoplasma 16-Turn and coupled with the Great Planes Electrifly GD-600 Gearbox and the results are:

@ Full Wide Open:

23-AMPs @ 273 Watts!!!

Much better, yet it sounds very nice like it still has enough RPMs at the Propeller for FUN runs!!

Video of test being uploaded soon!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:56 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
Quote:
You can keep them just bend them up a bit and see what happens.
I just bent them upwards! We shall see what happens!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:58 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie eaton View Post
A bit faster than scale , but looks great on the water. About like my sportfisherman made on a lobster boat hull. It's also faster than scale but fun to run.
Hey Charlie,

That is one nice looking Scale Sport Fisherman you have there!!!

Lets enlarge the picture so, all can see it better!

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:17 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
Video!

Quote:
Hey, just got done testing the Current / Watts Draw using the 3.0:1 gearbox ratio with the Modified Monster Motor, Kyosho Endoplasma 16-Turn and coupled with the Great Planes Electrifly GD-600 Gearbox and the results are:

@ Full Wide Open:

23-AMPs @ 273 Watts!!!

Much better, yet it sounds very nice like it still has enough RPMs at the Propeller for FUN runs!!

Video of test being uploaded soon!
Yes indeed, in the Video I say 21-AMPs @ 260 Watts but, I did run it again and got 23-AMPs @ 273 Watts and is 11.8 Volts which is a much better Under-Load Voltage Drop comparing it to earlier measurements!!

Coast Guard Rescue RC Ship Model Current Draw Measurement with 3 to 1 gearbox ratio 10-15-2012 (2 min 33 sec)

VIDEO:
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 15, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
Speed test run using 3.0:1 gearbox ratio!

Guys,
Arrived sort of late to the Moon Port Modelers RC Club and wasted no time and drove directly to the Lake adjacent to the Club’s Field. There, I carefully took out the Dumas Coast Guard Rescue RC model ship and proceeded in performing connections and verify Rudder and most importantly the motor was active and ready.

At about 9:43am Eastern the model was launched into the East side of the lake and attained a grand total of 8 MPH top speed. I brought in the model and proceeded to Lift up the rear Trim Tabs (each one at the Left and Right side of the stern) and to my disbelief, the model with nothing more than ˝ throttle lifted UP its Bow and was riding on the rear most part of the Hull.

I was using the same Turnigy Li-POLYs that were used during the Bath Tub current measurement and I forgot to Top them off such that I suspect a higher than normal Under-Load Voltage resulted and Lower Propeller RPMs were as a result. I am pretty sure that with this 3.0:1 ratio, the Boat can attain a Top Speed of 9 MPH. This is value is consistent because with the 2.5:1 ratio it measured 12.7 MPH.

Some static Video (Tripod Mounted) will soon be uploaded so, you all can see the results at the lake.

Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 17, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:41 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Guys,
Arrived sort of late to the Moon Port Modelers RC Club and wasted no time and drove directly to the Lake adjacent to the Club’s Field. There, I carefully took out the Dumas Coast Guard Rescue RC model ship and proceeded in performing connections and verify Rudder and most importantly the motor was active and ready.

At about 9:43am Eastern the model was launched into the East side of the lake and attained a grand total of 8 MPH top speed. I brought in the model and proceeded to Lift up the rear Trim Tabs (each one at the Left and Right side of the stern) and to my disbelief, the model with nothing more than ˝ throttle lifted UP its Bow and was riding on the rear most part of the Hull.

I was using the same Turnigy Li-POLYs that were used during the Bath Tub current measurement and I forgot to Top them off such that I suspect a higher than normal Under-Load Voltage resulted and Lower Propeller RPMs were as a result. I am pretty sure that with this 3.0:1 ratio, the Boat can attain a Top Speed of 9 MPH. This is value is consistent because with the 2.5:1 ratio it measured 12.7 MPH.

Some static Video (Tripod Mounted) will soon be uploaded so, you all can see the results at the lake.

Carlos

Coast Guard Rescue RC Ship using Endoplasma 16T and Electrifly GD-600 Gearbox 10-17-2012.wmv (6 min 14 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:44 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
Heading out again super early in the morning!

Guys,

Got some newer Li-POLY (2200's) all charged up and heading back to the lake because yesterday late afternoon there were lots of ugly clouds and rain.

Will bring the Video / Camera again!

Make sure you view my Videos in at least 720p, if you have not already done so!!

Take care!
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:44 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
Friday morning 10-19-2012

Quote:
Guys,

Got some newer Li-POLY (2200's) all charged up and heading back to the lake because yesterday late afternoon there were lots of ugly clouds and rain.

Will bring the Video / Camera again!

Make sure you view my Videos in at least 720p, if you have not already done so!!

Take care!
Carlos
Guys,

On Thursday, I forgot the freaking Transmitter for the Boat Model

On Friday, I made sure it was in the car the night before!

Okay, for the Final Speed Run Test Measurements using the 3.0 -to- 1 gearbox ratio it is right at 8.1 MPH so, I don't think I will get anything more using this gearbox ratio, however, it is a very good middle ground and I will keep this gearbox ratio for a while.

Video:

Coast Guard Rescue RC Ship using Endoplasma 16T ratio 10-19-2012.wmv (2 min 52 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
52 Posts
Looking good. Watch those sharp turns. Looks like the stern skipped out on you once or twice in that video. I am sure you don't want to roll her.

How long does it take you to get to the club where you fly and use the boat?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:50 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Looking good. Watch those sharp turns. Looks like the stern skipped out on you once or twice in that video. I am sure you don't want to roll her.

How long does it take you to get to the club where you fly and use the boat?
Yes indeed!! Now with the longer Rudder Servo Arm it does not take too much to turn the model and especially going fast.

From my house, it takes exactly 21.8 miles from my door to the parking at the Club. I took advantage all this week since it is on the way to my work It is all highway speeds so, it takes me 20 minutes doing legal speeds

Moon Port Modelers RC Club is having a FUN FLY on October 27th, 2012 (Saturday) so, you are most welcomed. You do not have to bring anything as there will be FREE FOOD and DRINKS and lots of Fun. Bring Family.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:28 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
November 3rd, 2012 at Lake Eola, Downtown Orlando, Florida!

It must be the best day I have spent at Downtown Orlando, Florida during the annual Art & Craft Event that takes place all around the Lake. My friend Mark and I met up at Lake Eola and wasted no time to enjoy our RC "Electric" Boat Models.

Here are a few pictures of my Dumas Coast Guard Rescue Ship and you can see his miniature Tug with the Dumas 6-Volt Motor!

A Carbon Cub (High performance) flew all day long with a banner overhead!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Nov 03, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:31 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
Video @ Lake Eola, Downtown Orlando, Florida!

Dumas Coast Guard Rescue Ship at Lake Eola Orlando Florida 11-03-2012 (1 min 19 sec)
RCG Plus Member