HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:07 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2007
67 Posts
Discussion
Cannot discharge 1cell NiMH

I am trying to cycle my glow driver's single NiMH cell, but PL6 refuses to discharge, error code "Pack < 3V". Yes, of course, it's a single cell. I am unable to figure out how to change this. I have tried both trickle and fast NiMH presets.

What am I doing wrong?

F/w 1.10
n808 is offline Find More Posts by n808
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:24 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n808 View Post
I am trying to cycle my glow driver's single NiMH cell, but PL6 refuses to discharge, error code "Pack < 3V". Yes, of course, it's a single cell. I am unable to figure out how to change this. I have tried both trickle and fast NiMH presets.

What am I doing wrong?

F/w 1.10
Hi:

You are not doing anything wrong. Due to the design of the internal discharge circuit, the output battery has to be > 3V in order to use internal discharge. What you can do is turn on Regenerative Discharge, hook up a Pb battery to the PL6 input for power, and then use Regenerative Discharge to discharge a single Ni cell. You might ask yourself why this limitation? Of course if one utilizes a FET for discharge operations, it is possible to support < 3V, but we use a high quality bipolar transistor for this purpose. The voltage drop is higher across the transistor junction, and this is why there is the 3V limitation. But the benefits are that the unit can handle higher voltage/larger battery packs running at a higher discharge rate for longer duration without overheating. This means the design is more reliable. A FET will more easily go into thermal runaway at higher voltages at the FET junction and the circuit fails sooner.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:06 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2007
67 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I'll just use another charger for this odd single cell.
n808 is offline Find More Posts by n808
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:55 AM
United States, MA, Harvard
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
3 volt discharge limit

Hi,

I am wondering if the same lower voltage discharge limit applies to the PL6? I couldn't find it in either manual.
Capn_Crunch is offline Find More Posts by Capn_Crunch
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:34 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn_Crunch View Post
Hi,

I am wondering if the same lower voltage discharge limit applies to the PL6? I couldn't find it in either manual.
Hi:

Yes, PL6 and PL8 use same discharge technology so both have the same lower voltage limit. PL6 is still based around a bipolar transistor, it's just smaller so does lower current/wattage.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:20 AM
United States, MA, Harvard
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Capn_Crunch is offline Find More Posts by Capn_Crunch