Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:52 AM
USA, DE, Dover
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
I have the senior tele, gas hog. flys nice, runs stright on take offs. no gyros. engine is off set to counter prop torque.
cauley65 is offline Find More Posts by cauley65
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:39 PM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,361 Posts
Torque will always be the prime suspect, as it will pull a well-trimmed and aligned plane to the left on a takeoff roll. 2-3 deg. of right thrust and/or offsetting the vertical stab are often used to compensate for the left-pulling effect. The gyro idea should also work well as previously described.
As for looping, provided the wing is sound and reinforced in the center section with fiberglass tape, it should lazy-loop without a problem. I have flown Tele Sr.'s and every other size, starting in 1973 with an original German-produced kit.......that one was even more of a "stick" construction than the later slabbed versions. Nearly all had rubber banded wings. All looped, rolled and stall-turned without issue. I wouldn't advise holding full power through the loop.....I have always throttled back to about half at the top of the loop.
The ONLY time I have seen a Tele's wing fold was under experimental circumstances.........the bird was scaled up to have a ten ft. Wingspan and the fuse was lengthened and widened to hold a 2 gal. Fuel tank......it weighed 25 LB. wet and built to fly a loooong cross country flight (using a chase car w/transmitter). Disaster didn't occur due to looping though.....but while S-turning to lose altitude and over-banked/over-G'd at full throttle (it was being flown by a friend/owner&builder of the bird at the time). Consequently, around 20 lbs. Of fuel plus a 4000 mah nicad ( it was 1976) hanging below and in. The center of a 10 ft. WS is a formula for exactly what happened.........an even break in the center of the wing and a spectacular crash. Post mortem inspection revealed that the wing center section had NOT been reinforced with fiberglass tape.......only epoxied together.
So, built correctly and flown under stock parameters, the bird will handle looping without problems. If you wonder the reason for the "flying tail", that would lead me to still another account but for another post. Best regards with one of THE most enjoyable RC birds ever designed!

Larry
txflyboys2 is online now Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:54 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
I'm flying mine with a bolt on wing, tail, and struts. ~13 lbs. flying weight. Rudder and elevator are on pull-pull controls. The 5s 8000 mAH battery is almost all under the wing and it still feels a tad nose heavy. A very easy and lazy flyer. I easily get three 8 min. flights per charge. Wing struts are recommended for this version. Lots of info in this review and in some other threads here and on RCU.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463310
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:34 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
i only get about 8-10 min flight out of my 5s 5000mah pack
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:59 PM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,361 Posts
Hobby Lobby's Telemaster Electro is slightly smaller with a 6 ft. WS and lighter than the 8 ft. Sr. My electro will deliver 15-20 min. flights with time to spare, on a 3s, 4000 mah and AXI 2820/14.

Larry
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:47 AM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
I like bigger lol
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:47 PM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,361 Posts
LOL! Yep, they're sweethearts, too! I flew two modified Tele's on cross countries.....one had a 10 ft. WS and the other 14 ft. They still flew like Tele's! Hard to beat 'em!

Larry