HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:47 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Build Log
TID - WWII British Navy Tug

If you followed my last build http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368835 you’ll know this will be a slow build - nearly 2 years on the Major! Now after some upgrades to my little shop I'm ready to start my next build a WW 2 era TID tug. I cutout the frames and keel and will start cleaning them up and setup my build board next. I’ll be building the hull up to the deck line and adding the bulwarks after the frames are all covered. Thank God this build will fit on the workbench, the Major is 62” long and a bear to move around.

Hope you guys enjoy
Rmay is online now Find More Posts by Rmay
Last edited by Rmay; Jun 18, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:00 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,624 Posts
Man, we bin waitin a Long time for this !

Great looking shop ~

Clean, well lit, well organized ( unlike mine ) ...
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:09 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Time to clean up Tim

Yea I almost fell for it, then I saw the image stamp Tim after seeing your excellent work - and your shop foreman I can't imagine you work under those conditions!

Sad truth is my shop will look like that way too soon when I really start going. The Major was so big there was just no getting around haveing a mess on your hands
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:14 PM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,271 Posts
an untidy workshop...............work being done
a tidy workshop......................sat on your backside doing nothing....

that's my moto
nhp651 is online now Find More Posts by nhp651
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Or more simply put clean shop dirty mind…
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:08 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
Or more simply put clean shop dirty mind…
True, true - but I never try to mix my hobbies. Although I do have to share my shop space with my mountain bike – she gets very jealous if I don’t take her down every once in a while.

I know this subject has been talked about SEVERAL times around the forums, but I really would like to have BLACK/DARK GRAY smoke coming out the stack of my TID. I have some basic ideas in my head involving a fire box, I know Back in the day my dad kept bees and we’d use a smoker to work the bees. I was thinking of making a simple box and burn something like a cheap (or two) cigar with a small draft blower device. Dad used a few cigars in his smoker and produced a lot of dark gray, if not stinky smoke. Any ideas?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:40 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
what about those glowing snake fireworks, you know the little black pellets? they expand and glow while giving off lots of black smoke. I would think a restricted chamber would force even more smoke. I googled it really quick and it can be made from powdered sugar and baking soda. maybe even form it into thin rods to make a controlled, slow burn. burning sugar gives off black smoke and soot, and its probably less toxic than other black smoke, i.e. petroleum or rubber.
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:00 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,624 Posts
You gonna put weld lines on the decks and hull ?

Real chain on deck for steering gear ???

Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:01 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Lots of great ideas for smoke!

Tim there will be a “prop” chain drive system on deck, but the real steering system will be below deck. As for weld lines – inconclusive, some boats have no/little sign of weld lines. And still others have distinct weld lines. I’ll have to experiment to see what looks best.

I plan to use Steve Neill's http://steveneill.wordpress.com/2012...ilus-part-two/ idea for making revets on his excellent Nautilus to make weld lines.

So easy - if it doesn't look right, just sand it off
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:26 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
I can see two in this picture... As indicated:
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:00 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Thanks Apismelifera - as noted you can clearly see the weld line on several photos of the tugs. But then again with age and I’m sure a ton of paint they’re not pronounced as one would expect in other photos. I noticed on the great TID builds on other forums the hulls rarely shows the weld lines. I will be putting weld lines on mine just because I know Tim will bug the living heck out of me if I don’t
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:11 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,624 Posts
Welds !

Them weld lines are significant for this subject !

There were pioneering times for welding, the TIDS ( Technology In Developement ) were the first ships to be made in sections in seperate locations, the sections brought by rail to the assembly yards where they were joined.

Riveting was too slow, they had to put 'em out quickly as they were getting the crap bombed out of 'em every night in the cities.

History
Richard Dunston started building wooden barges, in 1858 on the bank of the Stainforth and Keadby Canal in Thorne, some 45 miles from the sea. He used locally- grown, hand-sawn timber.[1] In 1902, control of the yard passed to Thomas Dunston and, in 1910 to the 20 year old grandson of the founder. He set about modernising the business to enable the construction of iron and steel ships, but was limited by the size of vessel that could be built at the Thorne site on the canal.
Dunstons bought the Henry Scarr shipbuilding yard at Hessle in 1932, which allowed ships to be launched directly into the Humber.[2] They pioneered construction of all-welded ships in the UK, finding that they could mass produce a single design more efficiently than traditional riveting. During the war they built 159 all-welded steel tugs, the TID tug,[3] with one completed ship leaving the shipyard at six-day intervals.[1] Sections were fabricated for erection elsewhere.[4]

TID was a standardized British design for a tugboat drawn up and built during the Second World War.

The hulls were built as eight separate sections by a group of manufacturers with spare welding capacity - normal British boat construction being riveted - building capacity was in short supply at shipbuilders but other non-shipbuilding industry was available. These 6 ton sections were transported by road or rail to the shipbuilder for assembly and fitting out. Production was fast at about one hull every five days.

Henry Kaiser may have heard about this method of construction ...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:29 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Throw a barb and get a history lesson in return!

Thanks Tim, fascinating stuff. Although the acronym for TID can differ depending on the website I will bow to the Master and go with weld lines and “Technology In Development”. Had hoped to start cleaning up the frames yesterday, but . . .

well you guys all know how it goes. Maybe today!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Progress

Finished cleaning up the frames and keel today. I'll pick up some wood tomorrow for the stringers and start notching the frames and keel. Hope to have her on the build board by the weekend. BUT of course the Wooden Boat Festival in Mandeville is this weekend, so maybe
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:33 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,624 Posts
I got the meaning of T.I.D form our good freind Stu Kern ~

Whom no one has heard from since Sept. 11th of last year ...

Remember his work ?

I think we are missing him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmay View Post
Thanks Tim, fascinating stuff. Although the acronym for TID can differ depending on the website I will bow to the Master and go with weld lines and “Technology In Development”.