HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Help!
How to extract snapped M1.5 screw

Hi I understand perhaps this has been raised before, but search function doesn't work on Tapatalk app so can't find out.

I have snapped a M1.5 screw in one of the tail arms for the HK250gt kit, perhaps due to excessive thread lock.

Both ends are flush with the arm surface, so I can't get it out with a pillar.

Any one has idea how I maybe able to get it out? Or I'm better get a new arm instead.

Thanks all.
geekystar is offline Find More Posts by geekystar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:13 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,723 Posts
Off hand I would say it is time for a new tail arm.

I am not sure exactly what part you a refering to but that small of a diameter screw is next to impossible to remove when it is flush. If you had a vertical milling machine wirh a good vice and high quality high speed drills it might be possible to drill it out or use a left hand drill bit and back it out but the odds are not great.

If the part the screw broke off in you should have used heat to soften the Loctite and if the part is plastic / nylon you should not have used Loctite on it.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:24 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,104 Posts
Sure you can , but by the sounds of it , your locking compound is too strong ..
You want to lock against vibration , not removal ..
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Ha thanks guys. I tried to engrave a groove and remove with a screw driver, but the groove was too shallow and don't have small enough screw driver. So I bin it.

The problem was I didn't really have to take it apart in the first place. I took it apart after another screw exploded from the tail case, and I decided to take the whole tail apart and locktite everything again....
geekystar is offline Find More Posts by geekystar