HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,427 Posts
I just picked up my stm32f3discovery , I was lucky since there was only 42 in stock.

I would be very interested in some experimental code build using that Kenn Sebasta's fixed wing navigation code...Anyone interested to help me with that?

I believe some code for magnetometer is already present in OP codebase, lilvinz will you enable it? I heard from someone that the magnetometer on f3 discovery is very similair to hmc5883l.
Since I'm gonna use it on a fixed wing.
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSC21 View Post
Hi there,

My name is Nuno and I'm from Portugal. I'm new to OpenPilot but I have an F3 and a F4 board. I would like to use F3 to control my quadcopter built with an X525 frame. I took a look at your code, but since I'm not really used to these kind of develop board programming, I'm not able to identify the ports that you've on the board you've built. You gave us a port map but how can I identify the pins? Can you please tell me how can I identify each pin so I can make the connections and solder them? Or can you give a simple picture/ draft identifying each pin extension on the protoboard?

Thanks! Best Regards,

TSC21
The name of each pin is printed on the top layer of the discovery board.
lilvinz is offline Find More Posts by lilvinz
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilvinz View Post
The name of each pin is printed on the top layer of the discovery board.
Yes I know that... You didn't understand. You extended the GPIO pins to an external board (the protoboard that you built to connect the discovery) and used, per example, the 3x10 male pin connectores so you can connect the pwm inputs and outputs, but you didn't tell us how to identify those connections, just gave us a port map. But how do I know wich pin is each in the headers? Can you please give us an image or a photo where you identify each pin in you protoboard/perfboard?

Thanks! Cheers
TSC21 is offline Find More Posts by TSC21
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Yes I know that... You didn't understand. You extended the GPIO pins to an external board (the protoboard that you built to connect the discovery) and used, per example, the 3x10 male pin connectores so you can connect the pwm inputs and outputs, but you didn't tell us how to identify those connections, just gave us a port map. But how do I know wich pin is each in the headers? Can you please give us an image or a photo where you identify each pin in you protoboard/perfboard?

Thanks! Cheers
All information needed to build that board is included within the pinout i provide.
How you arrange those pin headers on the board is up to you.

Please tell me exactly which part is ambiguous for you:
https://github.com/lilvinz/OpenPilot...pin-assignment
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
All information needed to build that board is included within the pinout i provide.

All parts are! =S Can you give me your configuration of the pin headers please in a image or something?

The SIG's have a configuration that must be followed right? Is it:

GND/Vcc/SIG
O | O | O
O | O | O
O | O | O
.... ?

Vcc/GND/SIG
O | O | O
O | O | O
O | O | O
.... ?

or any other?

what about UARTs, Flexiport equivalent and Mainport equivalent:

UART:
_ _ _
|O|O|
|O|O|
|O|O|
||||||O| ??

Flexiport:
_ _ _
|O|O|
|O|O|
|O|O|
||||||O| ??

Mainport:
_ _ _
|O|O|
|O|O|
|O|O|
||||||O| ??

A picture with a pin map would be great =)

Many Thanks! Best Regards,

TSC21
Last edited by TSC21; Oct 25, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
279 Posts
Quote:

I would be interested to know why I can't see any connection from the ESC +5v on the print. I looks like the the male header is not bridged to anything on the bottom of the print.

Also I would like to learn why you made the U(S)ART's jumper selectable between 3 and 5 volt. Is this necessary for usage of the board to switch between the 2 voltages or is this for future usage.
Menno is online now Find More Posts by Menno
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Nov 2005
279 Posts
Quote:
All parts are! =S Can you give me your configuration of the pin headers please in a image or something?
For PWM / servo connections it is common practice to have the row on the outside of the board as negative, the middle row als +5v and the inside row is for the signal pins. That way you don't roast anything when you connect your ESC or servo the wrong way around. The direction of the servo pins can be clearly seen on the 3rd picture of this link: https://github.com/lilvinz/OpenPilot...-this-is-about

In the print shown on the photos only the inside row with signal pins is connected. One ESC on the PWM out pins should have +5volt and ground also connected to supply power to the board with the build in BEC (Although is is the part that I can't see in the photo's). It also depends on your particilar configuration. I could be that you are powering the board form an external BEC instead from a build in BEC on a ESC.

I can't tell you anything about the UART, perhaps Lilvinz wil elaborate oon this.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post
Also I would like to learn why you made the U(S)ART's jumper selectable between 3 and 5 volt. Is this necessary for usage of the board to switch between the 2 voltages or is this for future usage.
The USARTS are on arduino compatible 4 pin headers.
GND, VCC, RXI, TXO
That way you can e.g. easily connect a DSM satellite receiver bei using a 3pin servo cable and leaving TXO open.

The VCC is selectable because there are devices which need 5V (e.g. bluetooth) and there are devices which need 3V like a DSM satellite.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
For PWM / servo connections it is common practice to have the row on the outside of the board as negative, the middle row als +5v and the inside row is for the signal pins. That way you don't roast anything when you connect your ESC or servo the wrong way around. The direction of the servo pins can be clearly seen on the 3rd picture of this link: https://github.com/lilvinz/OpenPilot...-this-is-about

In the print shown on the photos only the inside row with signal pins is connected. One ESC on the PWM out pins should have +5volt and ground also connected to supply power to the board with the build in BEC (Although is is the part that I can't see in the photo's). It also depends on your particilar configuration. I could be that you are powering the board form an external BEC instead from a build in BEC on a ESC.

I can't tell you anything about the UART, perhaps Lilvinz wil elaborate oon this.
Can't I just connect the the +5V and GND rows to the +5V and GND of the discovery board?

So what you're telling me is that the configuration look like this:
_______
O | O | O
O | O | O
O | O | O
O | O | O
SIG\+5V\GND

right?

But how can I know what pin corresponds to each Servo?

1: TIM16_CH1 (PB8)
2: TIM1_CH1 (PA8)
3: TIM1_CH2 (PA9)
4: TIM2_CH2 (PA1)
5: TIM2_CH3 (PB10)
6: TIM2_CH4 (PB11)
7: TIM3_CH1 (PC6)
8: TIM3_CH2 (PA4)
9: TIM3_CH3 (PB0)
10: TIM3_CH4 (PB1)

Does this mean that the board can be connected to 10 different Channels!?
If not:
What is CH1, CH2, CH3 and CH4 in this case? What header pins of the outputs are correspondent to the discovery board pins?

What about the outputs:

1: TIM17_CH1 (PB5)
2: TIM4_CH1 (PD12)
3: TIM4_CH2 (PD13)
4: TIM4_CH3 (PD14)
5: TIM4_CH4 (PD15)
6: TIM8_CH1 (PA15)
7: TIM8_CH2 (PC7)
8: TIM8_CH3 (PC8)
9: TIM15_CH1 (PF9)
10: TIM15_CH2 (PF10)

Does this mean that the board can be connected to 10 different ESC's!?
What are those channels?

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Can't I just connect the the +5V and GND rows to the +5V and GND of the discovery board?

So what you're telling me is that the configuration look like this:
_______
O | O | O
O | O | O
O | O | O
O | O | O
GND\+5V\SIG

right?

But how can I know what pin corresponds to each Servo?

1: TIM16_CH1 (PB8)
2: TIM1_CH1 (PA8)
3: TIM1_CH2 (PA9)
4: TIM2_CH2 (PA1)
5: TIM2_CH3 (PB10)
6: TIM2_CH4 (PB11)
7: TIM3_CH1 (PC6)
8: TIM3_CH2 (PA4)
9: TIM3_CH3 (PB0)
10: TIM3_CH4 (PB1)

Does this mean that the board can be connected to 10 different Channels!?
If not:
What is CH1, CH2, CH3 and CH4 in this case? What header pins of the outputs are correspondent to the discovery board pins?

What about the outputs:

1: TIM17_CH1 (PB5)
2: TIM4_CH1 (PD12)
3: TIM4_CH2 (PD13)
4: TIM4_CH3 (PD14)
5: TIM4_CH4 (PD15)
6: TIM8_CH1 (PA15)
7: TIM8_CH2 (PC7)
8: TIM8_CH3 (PC8)
9: TIM15_CH1 (PF9)
10: TIM15_CH2 (PF10)

Does this mean that the board can be connected to 10 different ESC's!?
What are those channels?

Thanks!
You see that prefixed number right before the ':' in each line?
This is the channel number and yes that means 10 channels for input and 10 channels for output.
The pin name is between the '(' and the ')'. You will find that exact name printed on the discovery board.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
You see that prefixed number right before the ':' in each line?
This is the channel number and yes that means 10 channels for input and 10 channels for output.
The pin name is between the '(' and the ')'. You will find that exact name printed on the discovery board.
Ok thanks!

UART:
_ _ _
|O|O|
|O|O|
|O|O|
||||||O| ??

Flexiport:
_ _ _
|O|O|
|O|O|
|O|O|
||||||O| ??

Mainport:
_ _ _
|O|O|
|O|O|
|O|O|
||||||O| ??

What is the configuration of these 3X1+4X1 male pin headers?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Ok thanks!

What is the configuration of these 3X1+4X1 male pin headers?
Code:
 +3V     +5V
+---+---+---+
| O | O | O |
+---+-|-+---+---+
| O | O | O | O |
+---+---+---+---+
 GND VCC RXI TXI
The middle pin of the 3 pin row is connected to the VCC pin on the 4 pin row.
This way you can put a jumper on the 3 pin header to either select 3V or 5V
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Code:
 +3V     +5V
+---+---+---+
| O | O | O |
+---+-|-+---+---+
| O | O | O | O |
+---+---+---+---+
 GND VCC RXI TXI
This way you can put a jumper on the 3 pin header to either select 3V or 5V
OK so that means that there is a shunt between pin 3 and the middle pin between +3V and +5V right?

What is the 3rd USART for? The Receiver Port? What pins should correspond to this one?

Is that configuration equal to FlexiPort equivalent, MainPort equivalent and Receiver Port? Where is this pin in MainPort equivalent: SBUS_ENABLE (PD7)?
Last edited by TSC21; Oct 25, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Nov 2005
279 Posts
I think I got the entire 'spaghetti' board figured out. Thank for clearing that up. There is just one thing that keeps bugging me lilvinz. How do you power your board?

I guess the board can be powered in numerous ways but I just can't see any connections from the pins where you have your ESC's connected (apart from the signal wire).
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
I think I got the entire 'spaghetti' board figured out. Thank for clearing that up. There is just one thing that keeps bugging me lilvinz. How do you power your board?

I guess the board can be powered in numerous ways but I just can't see any connections from the pins where you have your ESC's connected (apart from the signal wire).
Can you explain too, please? What those 1x3+1x4 connectors correspond to? Flexiport, Mainport and Receiver Port?
I'm not able to understand what is the third connector doing, since the port map that was given is to Flexiport and Mainport? Where is SBUS_ENABLE (PD7) pin!?

"currently unused:
USART1_RXI (PC5)
USART1_TXI (PC4)

USART4_RXI (PC11)
USART4_TXI (PC10)

USART5_RXI (PD2)
USART5_TXI (PC12)"

Can this ones be extended to other connectors like the ones above?

"I2C2_SDA (PA10)
I2C2_SCL (PF6)

SPI2_NSS (PB12)
SPI2_SCK (PB13)
SPI2_MISO (PB14)
SPI2_MOSI (PB15)"

How can I somehow use those ones? What kind of connections do I have to establish if in the future I pretend to use those?