Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:50 AM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metRo_ View Post
Hi,
thanks for the work

I just don't understand what to do with SBUS_ENABLE (PD7) :s
If you had an external TTL inverter (which would up to now still be necessary to get SBUS support because the f3 integreated inversion has not been added in software yet) you would attach its enable pin here.
lilvinz is offline Find More Posts by lilvinz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacitapproval View Post

The settings changing issue is not in GCS, but the calibration of the esc's themselves. The discovery board is outputting some kind of signal to esc's when settings are saved that screws up the calibration. Hence unplugging them while making changes solves this. Maybe this is a grounding issue?
I could imagine a possible reason for that. The F3 port uses the internal flash to store settings. Writing to that flash is pretty slow and inefficient. I think writing halts the whole system (which sucks) and thus could lead to a gap in the pwm signal. Maybe it would help to add some code which disables all PWM outputs while saving a setting to flash (this would also imply not to save at all when armed).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Mar 2012
50 Posts
This sounds right. I can see the tail servo jitter during save, and for whatever reason my esc's don't like it. If you can come up with some code to disable pwm during saving, I would be happy to test it.

So, would this mean the problem does not happen with cppm? I will have to experiment with this.

BTW-- I have the leveling function in attitude working much better. So, that only leaves the saving issue for me--oh, and I haven't been able to get serial bluetooth connected through the Android GCS yet. But, I haven't spent too much time on this so far. Hopefully, I can figure it out.

Lastly, do you have any suggestions for troubleshooting my F4? I did update the ST firmware when I was playing with the board prior to flashing Open Pilot, but I wouldn't think this would cause a problem, since the chip is erased prior to flashing.
tacitapproval is online now Find More Posts by tacitapproval
Last edited by tacitapproval; Nov 21, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Mar 2012
50 Posts
I tried to set-up cppm, but GCS produced an error message. Then I saw this post on the F4 thread:

"The F3 board has serveral disadvantages over the F4 board.
So far ive run across the following:

- No HSE which means running on internal oscillator
- No RTC because it needs LSE or HSE -> no dsm, ppm, sbus because those depend on RTC (at least without modification)
- No USB vbus pin connected -> unable to detect if cable is connected
- Different I2C subsystem compared to other STM32 -> new driver is necessary"

Too bad. I guess I will have to wait and see if you can work magic with the pwm code.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:24 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Aug 2002
728 Posts
The DiscoveryF3 board is clocked with an 8 Mhz signal from the ST Link V2 interface, so the HSE is used. I'm curious if the clock setup in system_stm32F30x.c should be changed to:

RCC->CR |= (uint32_t)(RCC_CR_HSEON | RCC_CR_HSEBYP);

as I noticed this file in the supplied STM examples has the HSE Bypass bit included. I've done some experments with this bit included, and don't see any difference. It may be that when this bit is included you can use the other oscillator pin as a GPIO. I'm not sure, need to experiment more.

And FWIW, I gave up on getting the Spektrum Satellite working. I've got some code I wrote for the STM32F4, and have ported that to the DiscoveryF3, using lilvinz's IO definitions. The satellite RX works fine in that code.

After getting the port definitions straightened out, OpenPilot code crashes and resets after I turn on my transmitter. It's entirely possible that my "version" of DSM 2 is not compatible as I'm using a JR Spektrum module, and I don;t see that listed in the OpenPilot Spektrum documentation. I need to borrow a friends DX8 and compare the serial output stream from a DX8 bound satellite vs my JR module bound satellite.
jihlein is offline Find More Posts by jihlein
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
I tried to set-up cppm, but GCS produced an error message. Then I saw this post on the F4 thread:

"The F3 board has serveral disadvantages over the F4 board.
So far ive run across the following:

- No HSE which means running on internal oscillator
- No RTC because it needs LSE or HSE -> no dsm, ppm, sbus because those depend on RTC (at least without modification)
- No USB vbus pin connected -> unable to detect if cable is connected
- Different I2C subsystem compared to other STM32 -> new driver is necessary"

Too bad. I guess I will have to wait and see if you can work magic with the pwm code.
This list is obsolete.
See https://github.com/lilvinz/OpenPilot...-this-is-about for current list of features.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
BTW-- I have the leveling function in attitude working much better. So, that only leaves the saving issue for me--oh, and I haven't been able to get serial bluetooth connected through the Android GCS yet. But, I haven't spent too much time on this so far. Hopefully, I can figure it out.
That wont work. The F3 board has no USB VSENSE pin so the firmware currently does not detect if usb is plugged in or not but assumes usb to always be connected. This is the cause for no GCS over UARTs.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jihlein View Post
And FWIW, I gave up on getting the Spektrum Satellite working. I've got some code I wrote for the STM32F4, and have ported that to the DiscoveryF3, using lilvinz's IO definitions. The satellite RX works fine in that code.
I have used DSMX satellites on the F3 as well as the F4 before.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Jul 2009
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilvinz View Post
If you had an external TTL inverter (which would up to now still be necessary to get SBUS support because the f3 integreated inversion has not been added in software yet) you would attach its enable pin here.
Can you explain a little more about this? Why should I need a TTL inverter?
metRo_ is offline Find More Posts by metRo_
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:13 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metRo_ View Post
Can you explain a little more about this? Why should I need a TTL inverter?
SBUS uses an inverted serial signal. To read it with a standard USART you need to invert it. The USART of the F3 CPU has an invert feature, which could be used instead of the external inverter.
ala42 is offline Find More Posts by ala42
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Nov 2005
259 Posts
So a week later than I hoped some footage from my F3Discovery tricopter. There is still a lot of tweaking needed to get acceptable settings, but it flies.

Mind that this is an old banged up home made frame for testing purposes. I don't expect perfect results with square motorcans

F3 Discovery Open Pilot tricopter (1 min 12 sec)
Menno is offline Find More Posts by Menno
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
All you discovery F3 users may be interested in here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/phoenixpilot
The DiscoveryF3 will continue to live in the PhoenixPilot repository
(https://github.com/PhoenixPilot/PhoenixPilot)
as one of two reference platforms.
So you can expect further development on this one!
Participation is always welcome.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Mar 2012
50 Posts
Will the F4 port also continue?

edit: sorry, I just saw your post on that.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Nov 2005
259 Posts
Is participation in the Phoenix group at this stage only useful for people with adequate programming skills or can I also contribute to the project as a user?

Also I'm wondering whether a complete new GUI will be developed? This is one of the key 'selling' points for OP compared to Multiwii for instance.
Menno is offline Find More Posts by Menno
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Yeah and we're really happy to extend the set of platform the phoenix code base runs on and encourage a diverse ecosystem! And lilvinz is awesome so we're super psyched to have him on the team.

The F3 as one of the reference platforms will definitely get some work on the UI side.

As a user testing and feedback is always invaluable. It will likely be week to a few weeks before we have a consolidated release but you'll hear about it!
peabody124 is online now Find More Posts by peabody124