SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:51 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Discussion
SkeleCub - Plans and/or maybe Kit

About a year and a half ago, I drew up a skeletonized cub-ish airframe for the E-Flight 4site/Extra electronics. The intent was to make a real indoor barnstormer, with a focus on ground handling and dirty aerobatics. Many many many flights later, it is one of my favorite planes, indoor or out.

I've taken the plane to a few events now, and gotten a lot of request for plans, kit, etc. So finally I bit the bullet and cleaned up my drawings. I'll be posting the plans shortly for those interested in cutting their own. For those without access to a means of cutting, I might be able to cut sets for the cost of the foam and shipping.

Almost done with a new one cut from the revised plans. I can also post the paint templates for both schemes if there is interest.

-Adam

Skeleton Cub (1 min 49 sec)

Skelecub.MP4 (1 min 14 sec)
AJWoods is offline Find More Posts by AJWoods
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:29 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
I want one.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:22 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
i think plans would be awesome, i have plenty of depron for it
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:45 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Plans...Plans....Plans....
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:51 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,390 Posts
Ditto Ditto Ditto!
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:26 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Alright guys here's the drawing package. The page is full size 24"x12" I included both the .dxf and the native SolidWorks drawing format that you can view/edit with their free e-Drawings package.

Let me know if you have any questions I'll be taking more detailed shots to show how one goes together, but it's pretty straight forward.

I use the gear mounts from the UM T-28 with the Carbon Cub wheels, they provide the best squishyness, although you can substitute whatever you prefer. Pushrods and horns from either the 4site or the Extra both work without need to lengthen anything.

One request. Please do not kit my plane without at least letting me know about it first. Sounds pretty obvious, but it's happened twice so far.

Start cutting!

Adam
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:56 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Video of the new guy:

SkeleCub 2 (1 min 38 sec)

I tried to get this to fly as much like a cub as possible, so you've GOT to use rudder. If you try to bank and yank, the nose will walk and you will prang. For those who want a more right stick style plane, I suggest a 30% aileron to rudder mix.

-A
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
Looks great MK, a build log here would really help?
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:02 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
Looks great MK, a build log here would really help?
TODD
Yeah, Kicking myself right now for not taking pictures as I put this one together, but my discovered a dead camera battery at the start of the build :/

At the very least I'll annotate the plans and pics plane with call outs as to what parts go where. It's a pretty simple build, but it's always good to have reference material.

I know Gordon has one that's covered and painted but not assembled. Maybe he can be the build guinea pig.

-A
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:51 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,390 Posts
Thanks Adam Definitely on the build list for this winter!

I'd be interested in lasered foam if you are running off a few. If not I have an exacto and sharp brass tubing.

What's your covering? 8 micron poly? White RA microlite?

Pete
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:56 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
Thanks Adam Definitely on the build list for this winter!

I'd be interested in lasered foam if you are running off a few. If not I have an exacto and sharp brass tubing.

What's your covering? 8 micron poly? White RA microlite?

Pete
Pete, PM me an address and I'll cut one for you. Might have to wait a few days as the computer for our laser cutter gave out yesterday afternoon.

It's all microlite, white for the wings and yellow for the fuse, with shortcuts paint for the accents. I didn't have any clear on hand, so I stripped some white with isopropyl for the windows. I'm making a plug now to form the front windscreen, although last time I just bent a thin plastic sheet.

-A
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
Carefull MK or you;ll have everyone asking for a cut one, like ME. Seeing as I already modified them maybe I should cut it buy hand.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:03 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,721 Posts
Yes please, a model as nice as that needs a build thread. Useful as the parts layout is, it leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:16 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,585 Posts
Looks great and very capable in the air. Nicely done.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:57 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Hmmm given that the cutter is down for a few days, maybe I'll try doing an assembly guide from the CAD.

-A