Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Jan 2012
235 Posts
Discussion
120 degree swashplate

Hello everyone

I have a problem that i hope that someone can help me figure out.
First off to just inform you all, that i'm not new to rc flying. I have flown rc planes for a few years and have flown rc helis ( fp, co-axial).
In the near future i will buying and flying a CCPM heli.I'm going to figure this out before buying it The thing that i dont really know everything about is the 120 swashplate setting and workings. I know what and how pitch is used in heli and what it does. I have been trying to figure out how to do the settings on my DX6I through my sim (pheonix-sim) and i have gotten to the point of understanding the aileron and the elevator 120 degree settings.Like i said above i also understand the pitch.What i dont get is how to control the trottle in this setting to make it work like a 90 degree. Whereas in a 90 degree setting you can lower and raise the heli through the thottle.I know you can do that with the 120 degree , but i can't figure out how. I;m guessing i need to increase the pitch for more ...lets say power. Or is it in the pitch curve or is it in the thottle curve setting? This is about the only thing that i can't really figure out on my own
helifreak1 is offline Find More Posts by helifreak1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:54 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Hmmmm , with 120 , you have two curves .. Pitch and throttle ..

Normally they work together .. or more correctly at the same time ..
As you advance throttle , you also increase pitch in accordance with your pitch curve ..
Now this happens because
1/ Your in heli mode
2/ You have chosen a swash profile ...[ mode ]

To make it work like 90deg Swash plate ?

Just what is it you want it to do ? Be more like a fixed pitch ?
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:10 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
Collective lever controls the ESC plus all 3 servos, together. You can set the amount of motor speed control by using the throttle curve setting and the amount of movement of the servos by using the pitch curve. You can also set the throttle curve in idle up mode to a constant setting, say 80% for example, and control height by pitch alone. This seems to be the most stable way, at least for me
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:23 AM
Joined Dec 2007
6,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifreak1 View Post
Hello everyone

I have a problem that i hope that someone can help me figure out.
First off to just inform you all, that i'm not new to rc flying. I have flown rc planes for a few years and have flown rc helis ( fp, co-axial).
In the near future i will buying and flying a CCPM heli.I'm going to figure this out before buying it The thing that i dont really know everything about is the 120 swashplate setting and workings. I know what and how pitch is used in heli and what it does. I have been trying to figure out how to do the settings on my DX6I through my sim (pheonix-sim) and i have gotten to the point of understanding the aileron and the elevator 120 degree settings.Like i said above i also understand the pitch.What i dont get is how to control the trottle in this setting to make it work like a 90 degree. Whereas in a 90 degree setting you can lower and raise the heli through the thottle.I know you can do that with the 120 degree , but i can't figure out how. I;m guessing i need to increase the pitch for more ...lets say power. Or is it in the pitch curve or is it in the thottle curve setting? This is about the only thing that i can't really figure out on my own
I think you are getting confused because you are trying to set the sim up exactly like you would the real heli, and you can't do that.

In real life, you, will be using the 120 degree swash setting in your TX. This is called CCPM (collective, cyclic, pitch, mixing). It's does exactly what it says and mixes these functions together in harmony with each other.

When you raise the throttle stick, all three functions and servos will be mixed together and provide a) the particular throttle curve you have set in your TX and b) the particular pitch curve you have set in the TX. It will do this while also moving the servos for the cyclic commands you are making with the TX.

When you are connected to the sim, the sim software is doing all of the mixing, so you only use a single servo, 90 degree setting in the TX like you would for a FP heli which will disable CCPM. You have to create a seperate model for the sim using the 90 degree setup, but then you can set the same pitch, throttle, dual rate, expo, etc settings you are using for the real heli, so those are the same for both. The end result will be a heli that behaves in the sim the same way it does in real life, but not using the 120 degree setting.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Oct 07, 2012 at 07:29 AM.