I'll give it a go- Cheers!
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:43 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,327 Posts
You may also want to consider the PTFE spray that wood workers use to make the cast iron surfaces of machines like planer / thicknessers more slippy. Equally, a wipe of 'wet or dry' and squirt of Pledge may do the trick...
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:28 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,541 Posts
I would sand it till it fits.

There will be days when it will be a lot tighter. E.g. when it's hot and humid.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:30 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,077 Posts
Thanks so much for all the advice guys, it's much appreciated. I need to finish off an electric Zlin aerobat that's sitting on my bench at the moment, but will get on wtih the A2 as soon as that's done. Here's what I plan to fit at this point...
  • Ailerons - Towerpro MG16R (I have two sitting unused, they're fast and others in our club are using them successfully on Wizards, Cappuchinos etc with no issues - not sure I would trust them on flaps though);
  • Flaps - KST 135 or 145MG. These seem well priced and get good reviews, though I accept Tom's comment that they are an unproven quantity in the long run. Other than the green go-faster stripe(!) on the 135, does anyone know the difference betwen the two? The specs are identical...
  • Rudder - Parts bin! If I haven't fitted it in something else and forgotten I will just use the HS225 that hadn't gone sloppy; if not I'll use a spare 85MG or buy another MG16R.
  • Elevator - Still undecided, but probably an Futaba 3150 or another KST (maybe the high speed 115MG); with that large AMT I definitely want a higher torque digital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
To get the servos out of the wings, try heating the servo and skin with a heat gun, softening the epoxy. Then, using some floss or similar string looped around the out put shaft, give it a pull. Sometimes the opposite works too, icing the surface sometimes makes the epoxy brittle. You could try grinding out as much of the "excess" epoxy before you try the above. Last resort would be grinding out the entire servo.
Great advice, many thanks - I will definitely be using these techniques and will let you know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
Matty, by coincidence I picked up a new, (as in un-built) Acacia 2 cross tail recently, and am nearing completion.

I used KST DS 135 MG's for the flaps/ailerons after getting a good deal on ebay of around 75 for the four incl postage. I've used these before and like Big Swede, I would recommend them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-KST-DS1...ht_3457wt_1089
Thanks for the link Cliffhanger. Could you post a pic of your fuselage install so I can see how you've done it? And did you grind out the servo boxes in the wings and mount to the skins or install straight into the boxes? (there seems to be split opinions about the best install method)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet View Post
I used Kst servos in the wing of my pace vx. They seem nice, but they have no reliability record yet.

It depends on how cheap the model was to some extent. There are loads servos out there. I have done well with INO-lab servos from hobby king. The 250mg has been good on my tragi's ailerons.
The model was 450 in it's current "RTF" state, so good value but not truly cheap. I did look up those INO-Lab servos you mentioned; they do get great reviews, but seem to have doubled in price to ~$44 since you talked about them in this thread!
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 12, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:51 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,327 Posts
From a historical perspective - back in the day when servos cost and frankly weren't *that* great, even standard servos (148s!) worked fine on the AMTs on big Open class and F3b platforms. Just saying...
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:13 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,541 Posts
Matt - KST - one's got fuse lugs and one has wing lugs.
KST servos do come with nice metal servo arms.

hyperion mini servos are nice for AMTs.

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=3266
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:00 PM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Matty-Here's some pics of the servos.

I left the servo boxes in the wing intact and glued on four servo frames for the KST 135's available from Hyperflight:
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...ST-DS135-FRAME
This worked a treat, as the servo box is very rigid.

With the Futaba servos in the fuselage I glued a plywood plate on the underside of the servo well, to keep the servos as low as possible to allow free fitment of the nose cone. As mentioned earlier I might well have to change out the 3155 AMT servo for a higher torque 3150.
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:35 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
4,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet View Post
Matt - KST - one's got fuse lugs and one has wing lugs.
KST servos do come with nice metal servo arms.

hyperion mini servos are nice for AMTs.

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=3266
Thanks - I shoulda looked harder at the KST pics! Those Hyperions look good and faster than a 3150 too; I've been very happy with their smaller servos in my DLG. It's not that I don't like the Futaba 3150s, it's just they tend to develop some slop fairly early in their life, though weirdly it doesn't then seem to get any worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
I left the servo boxes in the wing intact and glued on four servo frames for the KST 135's available from Hyperflight:
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...ST-DS135-FRAME
This worked a treat, as the servo box is very rigid.

With the Futaba servos in the fuselage I glued a plywood plate on the underside of the servo well, to keep the servos as low as possible to allow free fitment of the nose cone. As mentioned earlier I might well have to change out the 3155 AMT servo for a higher torque 3150.
Nice neat installs, I wish mine was so clean. After the way it was built it originally it probably never will be, but at least there is plenty of room to put that strength back in the fuse with some ply. Getting the wing boxes into a good condition for the new servos may be impossible though; certainly using those frames is unlikely given the amount of epoxy in there.

Great choice of RX too, my FrSky stuff has not missed a beat and has given my Mpx Evo a new lease of life .
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 08, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:21 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Do what you can to use frames with the KST135's! Once the old servos are out, use a Dremel with a sanding drum to make the surface smooth and flat, of course doing it carefully! It's so nice to be able to just remove/replace a wing servo by just unbolting it! You can make your own frames very easily if you have a scroll saw by using some 3/16" plywood.
BigSwede is online now Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:07 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
4,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedofdread View Post
From a historical perspective - back in the day when servos cost and frankly weren't *that* great, even standard servos (148s!) worked fine on the AMTs on big Open class and F3b platforms. Just saying...
It's a fair point Shed, and one I've thought on a fair bit. However I think I am going to go for a digi Hyperion on the AMT on the grounds that it's not that expensive and if there's one control where you want an overspecced servo with high precision and oodles torque it's the elevator! My final setup will probably be...
  • Ailerons - Towerpro MG16R;
  • Flaps - KST 135MG;
  • Rudder - HS85MG (I checked last night and have fitted the 225s to my PSS Macchi);
  • Elevator - Hyperion DS16 (probably the carbon poly version as I've had very good service from those on my DLG - they're as tough as old boots!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Do what you can to use frames with the KST135's! Once the old servos are out, use a Dremel with a sanding drum to make the surface smooth and flat, of course doing it carefully! It's so nice to be able to just remove/replace a wing servo by just unbolting it! You can make your own frames very easily if you have a scroll saw by using some 3/16" plywood.
Agreed, I will try my best to get as much of the junk out of there as possible - it's not going to be a pleasant job!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 09, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:38 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
It's funny how we all develop likes and dislikes based on our own experiences. I personally am completely allergic to Hyperion servos after a few bad experiences...

This servo is an unsung hero in my books: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11623 . I'm very impressed with them.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:18 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
4,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
It's funny how we all develop likes and dislikes based on our own experiences. I personally am completely allergic to Hyperion servos after a few bad experiences...

This servo is an unsung hero in my books: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11623 . I'm very impressed with them.
Very true. I guess in the end they all make the odd bad 'un, and if you've had one of those you're not going to be a happy camper. That BlueBird servo does look a good one for my AMT or a larger scale ship, but whether it's worth me buying one I'm not sure - by the time it's made it from HK and had some duty slapped on it it'll be more expensive than something similar sourced here.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:07 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Yes of course. Something to keep in mind for future maybe. They are just back in stock so I ordered a couple just because ...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:25 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Elevator - Hyperion DS16 (probably the carbon poly version as I've had very good service from those on my DLG - they're as tough as old boots!)
Hyperion DS16FCD (carbon poly gears) is my new fave servo for elevators & V-tails if there's enough space - digital, no slop, low price (from robotbirds.com)
hth

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:06 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
4,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Taylor View Post
Hyperion DS16FCD (carbon poly gears) is my new fave servo for elevators & V-tails if there's enough space - digital, no slop, low price (from robotbirds.com)
hth
Thanks Phil - that's good news and exactly what I wanted to hear!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 09, 2012 at 07:42 PM.