HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:05 PM
Copperopolis, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,008 Posts
Discussion
Camera Resolution vs. Display Resolution

Probably a dumb question, but here goes...

If I have a display that has, say, 300-line resolution, why would I need/want a camera that provides a greater number of lines of resolution? From my experience with televisions and computer monitors, providing a higher resolution signal to a lower resolution screen provides no benefit. In fact in some cases, the image can be cropped to accommodate the screen.

Here's my situation...I have a 7" monitor that reportedly has an advertised resolution of 1440 x 234. I'd like to use this with my ground station as I take the leap into FPV. [FWIW, I currently use this monitor to display the live-view from my airborne camera to compose still images---works fine for that.] Anyway, I want to get a dedicated FPV camera and wonder why I should spend the money for, say, a 600-line camera versus getting a cheaper lower res. model. I realize the signal from the higher res. cameras is of higher quality, but will my monitor show the difference?

Thanks for your help.

Jack
jforkner is offline Find More Posts by jforkner
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:27 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,397 Posts
The analog NTSC format is 525 lines. So in theory you should get a camera and display with that many lines to maximize the setup
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:48 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
the reason FOR is because compared to low res cameras (sub 480p) the higher res (480-600+) are simply better cameras with more advanced processing & better sensors

outside of that you're correct from a pure resolution standpoint (being the key, that's only one issue)
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:00 AM
Copperopolis, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,008 Posts
I understand. Thanks guys.

Jack
jforkner is offline Find More Posts by jforkner