HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:30 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Beldone/RT Models Canadair CL-415 Construction

SURPRISE!!
Okay. I said that I was going to start construction on the Beldone/RT Models Canadair CL-415 after the first of the year and post the thread at that time. Well I couldn't wait!

Most of you guy's know that I usually build from scratch when I can. I needed a change of pace from doing the Mars Project...WHEW! So I got a kit this time. Being a seaplane guy, I have always wanted to build a Canadair CL-415 waterbomber. Well I picked up a kit here on EZone in the classifieds and began the construction process earlier last week.

Being the holidays and all, I cannot devote 100% to the plane so I started on just the small bits for now. I'll keep all of you updated as the months go by.

So lets start construction on the nacelles!

BTW,
Just so no confusion is started, this is Antons Eisele's (Beldone Models) design. RT Models is simply a dealer for him.

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Last edited by Rudderman98; Dec 01, 2003 at 11:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:34 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Nacelle sides
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:36 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Sides Joined
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:38 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Top Caps Installed
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:50 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Nacelles ready for final shaping!

I lightly planed the edges and now they are ready to be final sanded to shape. So far only an hour and a half into the nacelles. The pieces just fall into place and the lazer cutting is super. So far, so good.

Perry
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:58 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
This is what my paint scheme will be.
Perry
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:58 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Hmmmmm

How much more light ply is there? I thought the S&E Modeler review stats looked on the heavy side...light ply and blocks of balsa will do that.

Just lookin' out for ya, buddy!

Terry (another Canadair man)
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Dec 02, 2003, 12:10 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Terry,
I was wondering when you would chime in
Only four sheets of lite ply and from what I can tell, it's mostly for high stress areas and or bulkheads.

The 1/2 inch balsa in the tops have been carved inside to reduce weight even further ala Ivan Pettigrew. Not too much yet for they still have to be final sanded to shape. Little by little my friend.

Don't worry. You know I'll overpower this SOB. I'll probably go twin Astro 05 geared just like Mark Thompsons 415. AWESOME performer. I have a video of his plane taking off on the grass with no help at all. Wish I could say the same for the Mars
Thanks for watching my back buddy. I'll have her ready for summer.

Perry
Old Dec 02, 2003, 12:38 AM
Slovenia, Europe.
Joined Nov 2000
123 Posts
Perry,

Do you find those 1/8 balsa nacelle sides strong enough?
Good luck with your build!

Cheers,
Bostjan
Blue Bird is offline Find More Posts by Blue Bird
Old Dec 02, 2003, 12:41 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Bird
Perry,

Do you find those 1/8 balsa nacelle sides strong enough?
Good luck with your build!

Cheers,
Bostjan
Bostjan,
Yes. The 1/8 sides are strong enough. The balsa that was used is very light and when all the extras are added on, it gets strong fast.
Thanks,
Perry
Old Dec 02, 2003, 09:02 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Glad to see you've started this one, Perry. You've chosen the same colour scheme as my buddy, Robert, who is scratch building his (slowly ) from Anton's earliest plans. He's built the fuse, tail group, and wing/nacelles, but still has radio gear and power to fit and test before covering.

One area that Robert changed on his was the angle/radius of the el. snake run through the vert.fin, to reduce friction in the control run. He also chose to save a few grams here and there by reducing wood sizes where he felt it safe, and reduced several of the non-critical formers to simple stick frames. Of course, when you're scratch building, you don't have to worry about supplied pieces, since there aren't any .

Keep the pics and words coming. I'll prod Robert to finish his in time for Chilliwack, and we'll get a squadron of 415s up!

BTW, I had one of the yellow ones fly over where I was working yesterday afternoon. About 1/2 mi. away, at no more than 1500ft. Those twin turbprops sound sweet.

Brad.

P.S.:
Ivan will have a new flying boat ready for the Spring meet. Only ~slightly~ smaller than the Mars!
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Last edited by Brad Trent; Dec 02, 2003 at 09:08 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2003, 09:52 PM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
I built the one from flying models plans last year. It flies on 2xgeared 400 motors (geared 2.33:1) swinging 9x6 APC E props. Flies great! Cant wait to see yours. Yours is much bigger and more scale.
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Dec 02, 2003, 11:51 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Trent
Glad to see you've started this one, Perry. You've chosen the same colour scheme as my buddy, Robert, who is scratch building his (slowly ) from Anton's earliest plans. He's built the fuse, tail group, and wing/nacelles, but still has radio gear and power to fit and test before covering.

One area that Robert changed on his was the angle/radius of the el. snake run through the vert.fin, to reduce friction in the control run. He also chose to save a few grams here and there by reducing wood sizes where he felt it safe, and reduced several of the non-critical formers to simple stick frames. Of course, when you're scratch building, you don't have to worry about supplied pieces, since there aren't any .

Keep the pics and words coming. I'll prod Robert to finish his in time for Chilliwack, and we'll get a squadron of 415s up!

BTW, I had one of the yellow ones fly over where I was working yesterday afternoon. About 1/2 mi. away, at no more than 1500ft. Those twin turbprops sound sweet.

Brad.

P.S.:
Ivan will have a new flying boat ready for the Spring meet. Only ~slightly~ smaller than the Mars!

Brad,
I know of Ivan's new toy. Can't wait to see it! I did notice that the elevator snake run was a bit tight. I am going to do the same thing and change it around and make it more smooth. Not too many colors to choose from for this bird. I see too many yellow one and the Thai Air Force version is nice but too dark of colors for summer time flying.

Looking forward to bringing her up to CWK this year along with the Mars and.......

Slopenut,
I followed your buildup thread on your plane. Very informative and thanks for supplying the pics of the scale white version.

Stay tuned for more pics as time allows.

Perry
Old Dec 03, 2003, 02:45 AM
Surrey, BC Canada
Joined Apr 2000
649 Posts
Ah gee, I suppose I should get off my lazy butt and get this baby ready for flight. If there is any interest, I will get some pictures onto this thread to show my progress of this scratch built baby.
Robert.
RMFISH is offline Find More Posts by RMFISH
Old Dec 03, 2003, 04:40 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,293 Posts
I reckon we need a new filter on RCGroups.Aircraft...

All/Fuel/Electric/Sailplanes/Seaplanes/Perry.

I'm pulling up a seat and toasting the corn...

Rich
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One