HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Gavinxman, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jun 2011
6 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
I ship some stuff but calling an lpu person lazy is a little rude and uncalled for. Each person does what they want and can do!
ss40 is offline Find More Posts by ss40
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:00 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,427 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
My only complaint is that all the LPU's are on the other side of the country!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,964 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
And if you are selling a big plane, if you keep and eye out for it, every once in a while you can run upon something like this.........

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/zip/3314539335.html
fly2bob is offline Find More Posts by fly2bob
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
My only complaint is that all the LPU's are on the other side of the country!
I've seen plenty of easterners say the same thing about us.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:32 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,386 Posts
Trader Rating: 393
"My only complaint is that all the LPU's are on the other side of the country!"

That's quite funny.
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, WA, Othello
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Trader Rating: 69
Seems like two separate castegories for airplanes might work: one for LPU and one for those sellers who are willing to ship for whatever reason.. Would save the 90 some % viewers who are not local a lot of time and frusration looking for and at planes that they will not be able to get. For those in that non-local % that just like to drool over things, they would still have opportunity to do so.Guess the bottom line is that there must be willing buyers and willing sellers to complete a transaction,
and each should try to understand the other's plight
David Powell is offline Find More Posts by David Powell
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:32 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,303 Posts
Trader Rating: 89
I think my earlier post was a bit harsh, sorry about that.

But the point I was making is valid. Some just don't want to ship a built plane for many reasons and that is absolutely ok given it is their property. With that said, I'd buy a plane and have it shipped and may would sell and ship but I'm far less likely to ship than buy. I just don't have the time to spend packing for the small return. I'd rather make a great deal to a local flying buddy .. or for that matter give it away which I've done many times locally.

And the point about owning it till it arrives is 100% true with respect to shipping damage for sure. Get insurance and if damaged then you have to refund the seller, then fight the shipper to get $ back and they will try to wiggle out. I've seen it too many times right here on RCG. Just too many opportunities for issues and at my stage of my life, I don't really need the $ and sure don't need the "issues".

Anyway, sorry for my first post being so harsh. I understand the frustration of wanting a deal but can't get it due to shipping issues but I also understand that some get frustrated by being pressured to ship when they don't want to. Still when push comes to shove, the owner of the plane can decide what he wants to do with it and how he will do it and if they don't want to ship I don't think that automatically makes them bad or lazy. Some like me simply don't need the "issues" that can arise.

Cheers all and good flying
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Good post!!!!!
Gavinxman is offline Find More Posts by Gavinxman
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbyrne View Post
I think my earlier post was a bit harsh, sorry about that.

But the point I was making is valid. Some just don't want to ship a built plane for many reasons and that is absolutely ok given it is their property. With that said, I'd buy a plane and have it shipped and may would sell and ship but I'm far less likely to ship than buy. I just don't have the time to spend packing for the small return. I'd rather make a great deal to a local flying buddy .. or for that matter give it away which I've done many times locally.

And the point about owning it till it arrives is 100% true with respect to shipping damage for sure. Get insurance and if damaged then you have to refund the seller, then fight the shipper to get $ back and they will try to wiggle out. I've seen it too many times right here on RCG. Just too many opportunities for issues and at my stage of my life, I don't really need the $ and sure don't need the "issues".

Anyway, sorry for my first post being so harsh. I understand the frustration of wanting a deal but can't get it due to shipping issues but I also understand that some get frustrated by being pressured to ship when they don't want to. Still when push comes to shove, the owner of the plane can decide what he wants to do with it and how he will do it and if they don't want to ship I don't think that automatically makes them bad or lazy. Some like me simply don't need the "issues" that can arise.

Cheers all and good flying
Another good post . And I'd say why not do just that ? Sale it at the local field and don't even put it here . Put it up locally or Craigslist . When guys like me see a $500 plane that's like new for $200 and we know it would only be $30$-40 to ship it it's just crazy . Oh well it's been this way long before I got here and will always be this way . If any of you guys get into big gas boats don't worry when you see the one you want its going to get shipped to you I've seen it and done it for 4 years and never had any issues . USPS is the way to go !!!!
Gavinxman is offline Find More Posts by Gavinxman
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:41 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,303 Posts
Trader Rating: 89
Thank you and again, sorry for the harsh post. Guess I was having a "moment" lol
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:12 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Apr 2005
52 Posts
Trader Rating: 101
$3000 33% Cap for sale. $300 LPU only. Between the hours of 11-12 PM EST, Saturday, 10/6/2012.
Thanks.
balsabasher2 is offline Find More Posts by balsabasher2
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:30 AM
DOWN IS UP AND UP IS EXPENSIVE
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Dec 2009
14 Posts
Trader Rating: 47
Local Pick-Up Only.....But will ship in one year if no local buyers !!
ghostmanmp5 is offline Find More Posts by ghostmanmp5
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:08 AM
United States, TX, Abilene
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Trader Rating: 70
I have shipped one plane in the past, and I will probably never do it again unless it is a really small electric. The plane I shipped was a 25% Hangar 9 Sundowner, and the experience was less then pleasant, to say the least. In the end, it turned out well. Greyhound took the plane from Texas to Ohio safelty, and it took about 10 days or so.

I offered the plane for somewhere around $200, and shipping ended up costing $121 (Shipping $78, Packing Mat. $43). The $43 was only for the packing peanuts. I never charged the buyer for the 3 rolls of tape, or my 5-6 hours to take the plane apart, build the box, and pack the plane. I'm not sure if it was worth it or not, but the buyer paid for shipping, and was happy with the plane in the end. By the way, the cardboard for the box was free from Lowes. Fridge boxes work great for building a shipping container, and they give them away for free.

The only other experience I had with shipping, was just recently. I told the buyer it would cost a little over $100 to ship the plane to him. He agreed to pay, once I got it all boxed up, and calculated actual shipping. When I told him it was going to be $112 to ship, he had a change of heart andd backed out. So, I waisted all that time building a box, and buying the packing peanuts for nothing. The box got thrown away, and I spent about 2 hours bagging all the peanuts back up so I could return them and get my $40 back.

Everyone has there reasons for shipping or not shipping. I would say, I'm not being lazy for not shipping, but rather realistic. Usually, it's not worth it for the seller nor the buyer, IMO. Shipping companies are way too expensive these days, and whoever thought I would have to pay $40 for packing peanuts. Are you kidding me...it is styrofoam. $40 worth of peanuts probably cost about a buck and a half to make. Can we say "Rip-Off".

Just my 2 cents.
Sgt Ski is offline Find More Posts by Sgt Ski
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Ski View Post
I have shipped one plane in the past, and I will probably never do it again unless it is a really small electric. The plane I shipped was a 25% Hangar 9 Sundowner, and the experience was less then pleasant, to say the least. In the end, it turned out well. Greyhound took the plane from Texas to Ohio safelty, and it took about 10 days or so.

I offered the plane for somewhere around $200, and shipping ended up costing $121 (Shipping $78, Packing Mat. $43). The $43 was only for the packing peanuts. I never charged the buyer for the 3 rolls of tape, or my 5-6 hours to take the plane apart, build the box, and pack the plane. I'm not sure if it was worth it or not, but the buyer paid for shipping, and was happy with the plane in the end. By the way, the cardboard for the box was free from Lowes. Fridge boxes work great for building a shipping container, and they give them away for free.

The only other experience I had with shipping, was just recently. I told the buyer it would cost a little over $100 to ship the plane to him. He agreed to pay, once I got it all boxed up, and calculated actual shipping. When I told him it was going to be $112 to ship, he had a change of heart andd backed out. So, I waisted all that time building a box, and buying the packing peanuts for nothing. The box got thrown away, and I spent about 2 hours bagging all the peanuts back up so I could return them and get my $40 back.

Everyone has there reasons for shipping or not shipping. I would say, I'm not being lazy for not shipping, but rather realistic. Usually, it's not worth it for the seller nor the buyer, IMO. Shipping companies are way too expensive these days, and whoever thought I would have to pay $40 for packing peanuts. Are you kidding me...it is styrofoam. $40 worth of peanuts probably cost about a buck and a half to make. Can we say "Rip-Off".

Just my 2 cents.
Whenever I've shipped a glider I didn't use foam packing peanuts, I used bubble wrap, and not that much of it. Peanuts are good, they help keep the box from getting crushed if you stuff them in there, and so long as the box is a good amount bigger than its contents, it protects them too. But the route I've gone instead is to use double thick cardboard to make the box and then selectively wrap with bubble wrap. I got the double thick cardboard at a u-haul location that also sells truck bed Rhino liners, and obviously the liners came in this cardboard. After making the box at least a few inches bigger than its contents all the way around, I'd wrap just the ends of the items, ie wings ends, etc, with a big ball of bubble wrap that would extend several inches each way and tape it in place, but that's it, just the ends. If it had a fg fuse I could poke some holes through the bottom, one on each side of the fuse, a set near the tail, and a set near the nose. Then run a XL zip tie through the holes to hold the fuse in place. If you do this you have to put a little packing tape over the zip tie on the outside to cover it and make it smooth. Or if I pack the wings on the bottom and fuse on top of that, then I could cut myself some cardboard straps and hot glue them in place to keep the items from flopping around inside while in transport. Just saying there's different cheaper ways to do things.
Last edited by fly2bob; Oct 07, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:00 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,094 Posts
Trader Rating: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabasher2 View Post
$3000 33% Cap for sale. $300 LPU only. Between the hours of 11-12 PM EST, Saturday, 10/6/2012.
Thanks.
Careful what you say, I have a time machine
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Closed Thread