HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
As some of you know I managed to loose my job in this thriving economy. It is what it is. Please leave politics out of this.

My sister has a house that she is trying to close on. It needs work. Mostly demolition and clearing/disposal of 'things' in the back yard. Two large wooden sheds, lawn furniture, other debrie. The sheds are comming down to the ground. Lots of toil with a sawsall and dragging debrie to the curb and burning what I can.

Remember ... please... lets keep politics out of this... thanks.

You know what Lincoln would say..... "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

I just got rid of some old aluminim patio furniture, two chairs and a glider. A jigsaw with a metal cutting blade works wonders. All 3 items fit in a 30 gallon garbage bag when done.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Sep 2010
154 Posts
Usta,

They make metal blades for the Sawzall, too. Mine is indestructable. I am not sure how many hours it has on it. It survived for 15 years of my construction business and most of the time it was being used by guys who could care less how they treated it.

Milwaukee tools (inventor and owners of name "Sawzall") are still one of the best tool makers out there.
Gooroo is offline Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:49 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
What would it cost your sister if someone else did the job?
That would tell both of you if its fair.
That's a fine idea.... get 2 or 3 bids from local handyman services, and then make your bid accordingly.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
753 Posts
Heh I remember back when I took 3 bids on an AC replacement. I told them all I already had three bids, do your best... Fun times.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:47 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
I would say that in working for family, charge enough that you don't resent it if they aren't satisfied with something and you have to go back. You have to satisfy them like any customer, even more so sometimes, they may think they told you to do something and that you agreed and it may be something you don't remember. So I would treat it like any job, with the fee perhaps reduced, but write down what you are agreeing to do and give them a copy and ask them if there is anything else that needs doing.

$12 an hour seems very reasonable. Most folks who do lawn work charge around $25-30 an hour here. Of course they have overhead and have to pay taxes out of that.

There is also a chance when sold the buyers may insist on something else being done, and they might enlist you to do that as well.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:55 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
Ok then its like selling a car to A family member.
It never works out.
Myself I would be thankfull for whatever they would give and leave it at that.
I understand hard times as Ive been ther myself and if it wasn't for a great friend to help me I'm not sure where i would be now.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
When I took on contracting jobs, it was flat rate. When I hired students, it was so much to do this, no hourly stuff. Makes life a lot simpler.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
753 Posts
Just a quick update. We did agree on a lump sum. A little less than 2K + expenses.

Bought a nice skill sawsall, got it at Lowes it was a display model so 10% off multi speed orbital and linear selectable. 9.5 amps. Copped it for 72 bucks!

I started the hard work today and all I can say is she is getting her moneys worth. Started knocking down the big shed. 2x4 stud wall constuctions with D frame corner posts. Damn thing is tucked into a back corner. Full of dry rot, bull ants, snakes, and some damn vines full of thorns! Ouch! I got about halfway through it today. Battered, bloody, filthy and tired.

One funny thing was I was took out all the studs, and cut through the two front D frame corner posts expecting to drop the roof in one swoop. The roof had other ideas. I knocked out the first corner post and boom, the corner came down... about two feet... LOL it rested firmly on the remainder of the corner D frame. Still intact but a little crooked. I knocked out the other post and the roof just kind of tilted over resting on the two now shorter corner posts. I got the two posts cut .... again, and got the roof to fall. But.. it is still firmly attached to the back wall... sigh.So I cut through all of the roof joists and crack the roof came down in the front to ground level. Still firmly attached to the back wall. Its one tough SOB!

If I could get a truck in there and tie it to whats left of the roof frame and jerk it down I would, but I cant. So I had to go around the back and start cutting studs. Fighting off wicked thorn vines, dirt falling from the rooted roofing, and bull ants. I got through all of the studs and.... its still up!

At that point I called it quits. Maybe it'll fall during the night! nah... Ill have to cut the other D posts...

I'm working harder now that I am unemployed than I have in years. Between the demolition work, maintaining existing contracts from the previous job, closing out the old office, I get to add book keeper to my resume as well... LOL

Tomorrow is sort of a day off, all I have to do is go to the UEC office, then meet Goodwill at the old office at around noon, then a field inspection of an ongoing project. A light day

I swear I am gonna get some flying in with this beautiful weather eventually!!!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:04 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,640 Posts
When you look at it, if she had to hire someone other than yourself to do the work, what would it cost her? If you can save her some money and you can make some money then it's a win-win situation. Generally, I'd rather pay a friend or a family member over someone else but with one thing in mind. It has to be someone I trust. Some friends and family take advantage of the situation... on either side, worker and employer. Only you can make that judgement call. From your explanation, I'd say you two could probably work well with each other. Just remember to appreciate her and make sure to do what you can so she appreciates you.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:34 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Quote:
Just a quick update. We did agree on a lump sum. A little less than 2K + expenses.

Bought a nice skill sawsall, got it at Lowes it was a display model so 10% off multi speed orbital and linear selectable. 9.5 amps. Copped it for 72 bucks!

I started the hard work today and all I can say is she is getting her moneys worth. Started knocking down the big shed. 2x4 stud wall constuctions with D frame corner posts. Damn thing is tucked into a back corner. Full of dry rot, bull ants, snakes, and some damn vines full of thorns! Ouch! I got about halfway through it today. Battered, bloody, filthy and tired.

One funny thing was I was took out all the studs, and cut through the two front D frame corner posts expecting to drop the roof in one swoop. The roof had other ideas. I knocked out the first corner post and boom, the corner came down... about two feet... LOL it rested firmly on the remainder of the corner D frame. Still intact but a little crooked. I knocked out the other post and the roof just kind of tilted over resting on the two now shorter corner posts. I got the two posts cut .... again, and got the roof to fall. But.. it is still firmly attached to the back wall... sigh.So I cut through all of the roof joists and crack the roof came down in the front to ground level. Still firmly attached to the back wall. Its one tough SOB!

If I could get a truck in there and tie it to whats left of the roof frame and jerk it down I would, but I cant. So I had to go around the back and start cutting studs. Fighting off wicked thorn vines, dirt falling from the rooted roofing, and bull ants. I got through all of the studs and.... its still up!

At that point I called it quits. Maybe it'll fall during the night! nah... Ill have to cut the other D posts...

I'm working harder now that I am unemployed than I have in years. Between the demolition work, maintaining existing contracts from the previous job, closing out the old office, I get to add book keeper to my resume as well... LOL

Tomorrow is sort of a day off, all I have to do is go to the UEC office, then meet Goodwill at the old office at around noon, then a field inspection of an ongoing project. A light day

I swear I am gonna get some flying in with this beautiful weather eventually!!!
Have you thought about renting a chain hoist or buying one of lever hand winch jobbers. Looks like $15-20 a day rental, you would also need a long enough rope to attach to a tree trunk and give yourself a safe working space, a chain would be better. When I was a lineman, this is how we put tension on strands that hold up cables and the anchor lines as well. Might be worth it to be able to pull all that stuff away from the jungle. Make sure the rope or chain is strong enough not to break, I imagine the thing will just slowly give way rather than snap away, but a lot of tension could be put on a rope, get the good quality, like 1/2 nylon and double it, maybe.

http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipm...y.aspx?id=s611
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:45 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Working for the family

Two choices (as I see it...)

1 Do it for free

2 Do it for payment and live with the consequences

I'd do the first one and suck up the cost personally!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:51 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,477 Posts
Quote:
Minimum wage here is $7.67 I guess thats fair.

Oh she said she would rather pay her brother than someone else is all. That and to help me out of our financial jam.

The job loss was kind of sudden and of course.. all my fault.. we are unprepared for it.

Well this is a good start keep up the suggestions.
Min wage would be shooting yourself in the foot. I realize it's family and all and that she has had just a rough time as you. I think the $12 you quoted in a previous thread is a bit much, a compromise say $9 - $10 per hour and expenses or a flat $12 and she pays no expenses would be decent.

From what you described it sounds like a lot of work for one person.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
This thread kinda sucks.

When I first read the title "Working for the family" I thought it was gonna be about doing mob hits for the mafia.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:39 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
This thread kinda sucks.

When I first read the title "Working for the family" I thought it was gonna be about doing mob hits for the mafia.
You velly funnie man - you velly bad man too
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
753 Posts
Name a price