HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by acetech09, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:58 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Cool
24 Inch EPP Wing

I dug out an old motor from the toolbox when cleaning it, and I didn't even know I had it. So I built a plane to stick it on.

Name: 24in Wing 1.jpg
Views: 140
Size: 276.8 KB
Description:

Here's the stats from a CG calculator, showing what I did with it:

Name: Screen Shot 2012-09-28 at 8.34.27 PM.png
Views: 101
Size: 47.7 KB
Description:

The construction is fairly simple... a main wing shape and then a kFm2 step on top. LE is duct-tape backed with gorilla glue, which makes it a hard plastic leading edge. Some winglets foam-tac'd on with some scrap EPP. After building it, I realized I didn't have enough area to make suitable surfaces, so I stuck 'em in the back. The airflow over the wing will be pretty turbulent but I think it'll work.

Name: 24in Wing 2.jpg
Views: 111
Size: 288.8 KB
Description:

Motor mount is a piece of EPP saturated in gorilla glue. The stuff foams and hardens into a hard plastic, so it's great for making soft areas hard like motor mounts. It's best used in conjunction with foam-tac, as GG doesn't adhere great to EPP - it's good to support compression and torsion but not tension.

Name: 24in Wing Motor Mount.jpg
Views: 196
Size: 276.1 KB
Description:

Linkages are 2mm CF tube and heat-shrink with a wire Z-bend. I use Gorilla Glue for that too - I've found that thin CA is a bit too brittle and will snap under a hard crash, leaving the wire sliding free (even with sanding). I haven't had that problem since I switched to GG.

Name: 24in Wing Linkage.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 315.9 KB
Description:

These 9g Solar Servos are really nice. They're smoother and quieter than the HXT900s (which have recently turned downhill in quality), but seem to put out less torque and draw less current, which is actually welcome in my mind.

Name: 9g Solar Servo.jpg
Views: 145
Size: 182.7 KB
Description:

The electronics are fairly cheap. A 6A Plush ESC, 18-11 2900kv outrunner, OrangeRx, and some custom batteries (I buy cells and make my own packs).

Name: 24in Wing Electronics.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 278.7 KB
Description:

I originally wasn't going to tape it, but it wasn't as laterally stiff as I wanted so I taped the bottom with packing tape.

Name: 24in Wing Bottom.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 245.4 KB
Description:

20% CG is marked, and that's where it balances. 15% CG is "A little bit infront of 20%" and 25% CG is "A little bit behind 20%".

Name: 24in Wing CG.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 255.6 KB
Description:

Weight without the battery is 130g (you can do the math to find dry weight).

Name: IMG_0225.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 304.9 KB
Description:

And weight with battery is 166g.

Name: 24in Wing Weight W. Battery.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 302.8 KB
Description:

I didn't have enough hands to measure weight on full throttle and take a picture of it, but it weighs 310g on full throttle down into the scale. That's nearly a 1:1 thrust ratio.

I'm gonna maiden it tomorrow at the club field (among the tall grasses )
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
to remove ads between posts