SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, OH, Avon
Joined Apr 2011
117 Posts
Discussion
Escapade .61 Control Throw

Hey guys i recently purchased my Great Planes Escapade .61 Got everything together last night and i must say i am very please with how well this came out of the box and how easy it went together...Any way, getting of topic, im trying to set the control throws for the plane and something just doesnt seem right...the manual calls for a rudder left/right throw of 1-3/4" or 19 degrees (low rate) and 2-1/2" or 28 degrees (high rate). The problem im having is 19derees does not match up with 1-3/4"..This just seems like a big throw for a low rate also.. With my servo maxed and my dual rate maxed i will never be able to get to the high rate on this plane...anyone have any info on what i might be doing wrong or a tip to measure this better... Im basically laying a ruller flat about halfway up the rudder and centering everything..The measuring 1-3/4" to each side...
stevolution is offline Find More Posts by stevolution
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:49 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,211 Posts
Your rudder will never stall - I try and get as much rudder as I can and never use a low rate. Just be gentle on take-offs as the rudder can be very powerful!

It sounds like you are using the correct method - go with the high rate as you can always lay off the rudder (most pilots do NOT use the left stick during flight - sad to say).
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Hey fellows, I have a ,61 Escapade that has been flown all summer useing rudder on the ground and in the air, with great sucess with the rudder set at 1 7/8" with 35% expo. Thismseems to be the best that I have used for my style of flying.
Imaapilot is offline Find More Posts by Imaapilot
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:21 AM
United States, OH, Avon
Joined Apr 2011
117 Posts
Thnx for the replies got the throws very close to the reccommended by moving the pushrods on the horns...

Have taken this plane out twice now..The first time was...Well i wont sugar coat it i was scared shitless when. Winds were 17mph with gusts up to 25...Needless to say i made one pass and then landed...

Second time out the winds were much better with a 7 mph wind and gusts up to mabye 10-12mph. Went much better that day. Landing proved a little more tricky this time as i am still learning and have only flown my alpha 40 and flyzone switch. Seemed the plane just wouldnt slow enogh for me to be comfortable ...But i did manage to safely get her on the ground..

All in all this plane flies good..Especially for it being my first low wing and with only about 10 flights on my alpha..

I do however have a question when it comes to bank turning..It seems when i turn a little sharp (i'd say at about a 45degree angle or more) the plane banks down toward the ground.. Kinda hard to explain..Instead of the plane staying at level flight through the turn it turns and slopes down:/ im dure this is something im doing wrong..any ideas maybe i need rudder in my turns? Any help would be great guys...

thnx
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, OH, Avon
Joined Apr 2011
117 Posts
Few pics from second day
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Try inputing some up elevator when you start your turn, and easing it out as you come out of the turn.
Imaapilot is offline Find More Posts by Imaapilot
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, OH, Avon
Joined Apr 2011
117 Posts
Thnx will try this next time out..Its not a major thing. Its not sending my plane barreling to the ground but if im gonna learn then i wanna learn the right way..