HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:21 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,040 Posts
Sorry, but some of you guys really need to get out more, preferably flying model planes

In many of these threads, some seem to end up as almost arguing for the sake of it.

How any beginner who want to learn more about the science of aerodynamics is expected to gain greater knowledge here beats me.

Though I must admit it's worth reading some of the posts just for the fun of watching the points scoring.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
Texas Buzzard
McAllen,Texas
Joined Mar 2004
1,034 Posts
The Thread is "Modeling Science".

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Sorry, but some of you guys really need to get out more, preferably flying model planes

In many of these threads, some seem to end up as almost arguing for the sake of it.

How any beginner who want to learn more about the science of aerodynamics is expected to gain greater knowledge here beats me.

Though I must admit it's worth reading some of the posts just for the fun of watching the points scoring.
.................................................. .................................................. .......................

Your post reminds me of some of the fliers at my field. They are "consumers" NOT Modelers. Isn't "Modeling Science" all about the Science involved in Flying Models? And yes I know most fliers these days are of the FAST FOOD types and have never designed nor scratchbuilt a model plane. They wouldn't know the difference between a Reynolds Number and the Angle of Attack.

But there is a place for those who have never completed a course in Physics just as there is a place for those who fly overweight, overpowered plane that they buy almost ready to fly. Yes there is room for all of us. Some of us think more than we talk just like the Laws of Physics quietly determine our planes performance - don't you think? BTW, Modeling Science IS NOT limited to Aerodynamics.
Texas Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Texas Buzzard
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:40 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,040 Posts
So I remind you of a "consumer", NOT a Modeler ?

I can only assume you have never bothered to look at some of my build threads, many are scratch builds, (real scratch, no plans, no pre-cut jig-saw puzzles).

Yes I have bought a few pre-builts, (very few), as once I have them I can see all the things I dislike about them. So I will accept the "consumer" tag over those follies. But I can assure you that 50+ years of building and flying has taught me quite a lot about the practical side of models, both building and flying.

The point I was trying to make in the above post was that some of the quite interesting threads seem to degenerate into discussions on the semantics of what was posted, and interpretation of who said what and what it actually meant.

The 'science' side can be very informative, even to a dumbo like me, it makes me think just that bit more. But if some of the posts start to get into more of a point scoring exercise between a small group, then I feel I have the right to comment on it.

The 'Propelor Effeciency Question.' thread could have been really informative to the layman, but once again slipped into the format of posters arguing, (the last page was quite informative ). There was even a post - "I lost track. What are we arguing about?".

This forum can be quite interesting and informative, even to those of use who do not understand some of the deeper 'science' side. But isn't that what people should consider about posting here, that not everyone has their level of scientific and technical knowledge, but may still like to try and understand ?. Often a teacher is only as good as their pupils capability of absorbing the knowledge they show.
To know that you have helped and taught others must have a greater satisfaction than point scoring in fruitless arguments. Or at lest I hope it does.

Considering you are the OP, and have let this and another of your threads deteriorate, I would have thought you should be the one criticizing some of the other posts here. I will leave it alone.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:01 PM
Texas Buzzard
McAllen,Texas
Joined Mar 2004
1,034 Posts
You are a wise man

eflighttray, you are a wise man. I understand you better now.

yessir, a few did get wound up in the minutia. I think one of them was probably from europe and didn't understand the language very well. Thanks.
Texas Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Texas Buzzard
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, NJ, Edison
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
Treadmills.

Get your treadmills here.

Can't tell your lift from a downwash without a treadmill.
CombatWombat is offline Find More Posts by CombatWombat
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:54 PM
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Mar 2012
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatWombat View Post
Can't tell your lift from a downwash without a treadmill.
How much downwash do you need to avoid stalling while making a downwind turn on a treadmill? How much work does the lift do if the treadmill is going the same speed?
ShoeDLG is online now Find More Posts by ShoeDLG