HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:22 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Discussion
The Beasty is now ready to fly for real!!!

I recently got my Turnigy NanoTech 260mAh 2S cells for my beast from Hobby King.

Upon test-fitting them in the plane, I realized quickly that they'll be tight in there. So I took out the stock battery tray, and made one using 1/32" hard plywood. I made it a bit shorter than the stock unit as I lowered the whole tray by about 10mm - nearly 1/2". I did this by cutting the foam down on the plane to accomodate the tray.

Some weldbond white glue (undiluted) on the foam where the tray sits, and also on top where the tray needs to be held, and it was good to go after an overnight cure. Some thin velcro on the rear of the tray (~3/8 wide in the middle) and on the batteries, and I am set!

Some of you may have followed my earlier blog re: the micro Deans 3-pin connectors I replaced the stock battery clip for. I used female 3-pin DMCs (Deans Micro Connectors) on the batteries and then made a proper balancing/charging harness with a male 3DMC and some surplus JST connectors and balance leads from older 2S batteries I got rid of. Always save the goodies!!!

This way, I can connect the batteries to my chargers as a standard 2S cell. I have been running them at 0.3A charge rate for now. Seems to be just fine, as my 1S multicharger runs 0.3A rate as well. At 260mAh, I should get about 9-10 minutes of flight time with the Beast. I am looking forward to trying it this weekend! Balance for the plane sits at ~19mm aft of the bottom wing leading edge, per the manual - I position these batteries such that they sit flush with the top of the battery compartment when positioned to get the proper CG.

Pictures of the mod of the battery tray, the new 3DMCs and the charge harness (made two of these for both my chargers) shown below...

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
to remove ads between posts