HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:39 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogal View Post
...I like the idea of incorporating CAD files in the system and would be more than willing to contribute all of mine...
Outstanding. I think this is going to be good.

Steve
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,216 Posts
I must add my own appreciation, not only from the comprehensiveness of Outer Zone, but also because the plans have proper file titles, with full names and capitalization. Call me cranky, but there it is. Keep up the very excellent work, Steve.

As to a filing system, I started my computerized adventure in filing 3-views alpha-numerically many years ago. But with advancing age, I figured that either an on-line search would turn up many possible pics and 3-views for any particular airplane, and clicking Search on my computer was only a few keystrokes away, so there was no need to keep a meticulous alpha-numeric file system.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:48 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,678 Posts
In my opinion, Outerzone is rightly becoming a primary resource for modellers. Simples.....!

It even enabled me to sound knowledgable in front of Sundancer yesterday
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:58 AM
1:1 scale is fun!
United States, NJ, Midland Park
Joined Feb 2009
464 Posts
Don't forget to support Steve with a a couple of bucks...or quid...or euros!
ECBoehm is offline Find More Posts by ECBoehm
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
Book section

Steve,

The Books section is a great idea and another wonderful resource to add to the Outerzone site. Those books are out of print and very difficult to get, but contain invaluable information about building and flying. I've been doing both for many years and find ideas and perspectives there that are new and very useful to me. Thanks for putting that together. How can we contribute articles or book sections to the site?

David Wagner
glassblade is offline Find More Posts by glassblade
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:02 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Hi David,

Good point. I will try and finish off doing OCR and complete those 2 outstanding half-finished books. I'm also still hoping for some better quality scanned photos to go into the WWII scale pages.

How can users contribute? Good question. Haven't really worked that out yet. I guess the short answer is email me whatever you have, and I'll put it in. A longer answer is that first of all the the book needs to be out of copyright and out of print, and also I'd quite like you the users to do as much of the formatting as possible. I'm getting a bit swamped with too many jobs to do at the same time, and I guess I need to work smarter, to delegate more. The format is just raw text files, numbered by chapter, and then a separate folder of numbered jpgs for all the images. Can talk more about the format if you want...

Do you have a particular book in mind?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:49 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Those of you interested in CAD files, can you do me a favour and help me resolve the file format issue? If you check the latest post over here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=59 - there's a test link for you to try. Thanks.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:52 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,321 Posts
Steve, I downloaded your test dxf file and imported it into the CAD program I use most often, DraftSight (an Autocad clone). It seems OK but has some weird artifacts on the left side (see screenshot below). I don't know if those are part of your original drawing.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:14 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Thanks, I'll count that as a success. Looks like a handle for stretching and manipulating. I'm guessing you did drag and drop, but if you do file/open from the menu, I think you'll be ok.

I have just been messing with DraftSight too, that's how it works for me.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:38 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,321 Posts
Quote:
I'm guessing you did drag and drop, but if you do file/open from the menu, I think you'll be ok.
No, I just double-clicked on the dxf file, and DraftSight loaded and imported the file automatically (as is normal). No big deal, of course - it's trivial to delete the artifacts.

Great work on Outerzone - I think it's going to become THE repository for oldtimer plans, if it's not already.

Just a small suggestion: instead of saying "Did I get something wrong with this plan? That happens a lot" you may care to think about changing it to something like "That sometimes happens". I think you underestimate youself and the quality of what you're doing, and mistakes aren't as common as that statement implies.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:34 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Steve, I downloaded your test dxf file and imported it into the CAD program I use most often, DraftSight (an Autocad clone). It seems OK but has some weird artifacts on the left side (see screenshot below). I don't know if those are part of your original drawing.
Harry,

I wonder where they came from - they were not on the original files I sent Steve. Have you tried deleting them and are they on a specific layer? The layers I use only have a single colour on the final file so it's strange that they have appeared.

Al
hogal is online now Find More Posts by hogal
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:36 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,321 Posts
Al, those artifacts can be deleted like any other entity. Below is a listing of their properties. (I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else spend any time on this non-problem, but you seem to be curious about it and I know what it's like to be bugged by something like that.)

To go a bit OT, I have many fond memories of that Skiffler, which I built as a young boy when it was first published in 1957. I had many enjoyable flights with it, over a period of several years, until the usual motorcycles/cars/girls thing came along and got in the way. Good times.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:47 PM
USA, WA, Ellensburg
Joined Mar 2004
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Those of you interested in CAD files, can you do me a favour and help me resolve the file format issue? If you check the latest post over here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=59 - there's a test link for you to try. Thanks.
Hello Steve.

I tried to open http://www.outerzone.co.uk/_holding_...er_Test_01.DXF
and have DWGTrueviewer (2011) installed which is an Autodesk free viewer. It does not allow the user to modify the file though.

The marks on the drawing that one other saw was if he had something like Zoom extends selected.

Planeman started a tutorial on Draftsight some time back. I tried to load it but on my work computer it would crash when I would try to open draftsight. I have not heard of anyone else having that problem so guess for me I need to find a newer copy of Turbocad or similar.
Mooney_Driver is offline Find More Posts by Mooney_Driver
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:45 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Mooney_Driver, I can't find Planeman's tutorial on Draftsight you mention, can you post a link to that? Sounds interesting.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:34 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,321 Posts
Steve, there are hundreds of DraftSight tutorials available from many sources. Here's a listing of some YouTube ones. FYI.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DraftSight/