SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:06 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,250 Posts
I kind of enjoy doing the admin on outerzone, at the moment. Taking the long view, of course, that may change for some reason as we go along, through say bad health or whatever it is that comes along. At some point, I will have to hand over admin to others, inevitably. But that should be a smooth process. Give those nominated users a login and some brief training, and then let them take over. Yes Ian I agree it would be unwise to let just anyone upload just anything. Needs to be moderated in some way, always.

Joe, there aren't any bad suggestions. It's all interesting to me

You could do one for solid models. Or just for scale 3-views. I guess that's kind of been done, though. Really, I did Outerzone with model plane plans from the very beginning because I wanted to be able to use it, but it didn't exist.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:09 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,919 Posts
Steve - your site is amazing! Thanks for building such a resource for all of us to use, and I on't think you need to change anything
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:17 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,721 Posts
Steve, I haven't seen the Corsair plan that was mentioned, but here's the contents page of the WWII Scale Models book that you wanted to see.
As everyone says, Outerzone is Great - Superb!
I have a few opinions and suggestions, but they'll have to wait for another couple of days!
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Sep 2007
530 Posts
Steve, you and your Outerzone are Great!
Many thanks. I don't see the need to change the good work you have done. Keep it up !
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:18 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Steve, I haven't seen the Corsair plan that was mentioned, but here's the contents page of the WWII Scale Models book that you wanted to see...
Excellent, thanks for this. Have just had a quick look, and I think I have 7 of those 12 plans actually listed on the site already, the missing ones are these 5:

Grumman F4F Wildcat - Harry Bagley
Grumman F6F Hellcat - by Bill Hannan
FW Ta 192 - Hal Cover
P-39 Airacobra - Clarence Mather
P-47D Thunderbolt - IE Coleman

..all at 1/24 scale, so each one around 20in wingspan.

I would love like to get scans of those inwards, at some point.

Seems like I have been calling it a JD McHard book by mistake all this time. It is listed under IE Coleman, I guess.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:47 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,046 Posts
This is where the 'Net and RCG works best. The book you are looking at is "Flying Scale Models of WWII", published by Bill Northrop, who also published "Model Builder" magazine for most of its existance. Bill passed away recently, leaving a large collection of model airplane plans, designs, ways of doing things and so on for those who pursue such. I have the complete book, including the how-to articles written by the Bills Hannan and Warner, as well as J. D. McHard. It's 128 pages, softbound, and, I understand, sought-after by FF modelers. My copy has been repeatedly read and copied for years, and is becoming the worse for wear. It would be quite a loss if the paper copies became unusable from age or other reasons.

I do have an HP scanner with an eMachines desktop, and think I can provide the scans you need. Bear in mind I am not computer-literate (and proud of it) but PM me on what and how and I'll give it a go.
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:25 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,260 Posts
I didn't know Bill Northrop passed away recently. Every genius in the aeromodelling scene seems to be going faster than expected. How terrible.

I also have the book in a good shape. I can also scan any plans anybody out there wish to have. Let me know.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:20 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird View Post
This is where the 'Net and RCG works best. The book you are looking at is "Flying Scale Models of WWII", published by Bill Northrop, who also published "Model Builder" magazine for most of its existance. Bill passed away recently, leaving a large collection of model airplane plans, designs, ways of doing things and so on for those who pursue such. I have the complete book, including the how-to articles written by the Bills Hannan and Warner, as well as J. D. McHard. It's 128 pages, softbound, and, I understand, sought-after by FF modelers. My copy has been repeatedly read and copied for years, and is becoming the worse for wear. It would be quite a loss if the paper copies became unusable from age or other reasons.

I do have an HP scanner with an eMachines desktop, and think I can provide the scans you need. Bear in mind I am not computer-literate (and proud of it) but PM me on what and how and I'll give it a go.
Hi Balsabird. This is great. I agree, this is the kind of thing that works really well when you have a small group of (let's be honest) obsessives all talking and working together through the magic of the interweb. Good stuff. WiIl send you a PM, but basically as far as scanning goes the main thing is to have resolution set to at least 300 dpi, maybe better is 400, so that fine detail is not lost. All the other settings really are just about keeping the resulting filesize down, so me I'd say do it in greyscale (rather than colour), then save it as a jpg.

Right now, I'd just like those 5 plans, but I wonder if we could start a library of complete aeromodelling books online, in PDF format? Old, copyright free books, page by page, I mean the whole thing front cover to back page? Sit and read the whole thing online. I like that idea.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:58 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps a possible boat plans addition in the future would be of interest to Outerzone visitors?
Not a brain fart Joe, if you have a look on the boats site, "Dodgy" is suggesting the same thing.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:57 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Steve, I haven't seen the Corsair plan that was mentioned, but here's the contents page of the WWII Scale Models book that you wanted to see.
As everyone says, Outerzone is Great - Superb!
I have a few opinions and suggestions, but they'll have to wait for another couple of days!

I sure would like to see Hal Cover's TA-152.
One of the better modelers I have come across but I am a bit bias since we are both from South Bend, In.
Hal moved to California before could met him in person but he makes the fourth person I know that has been published or produced something from South Bend.
Two of us are from the same family!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:39 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
I sure would like to see Hal Cover's TA-152.
One of the better modelers I have come across but I am a bit bias since we are both from South Bend, In.
Hal moved to California before could met him in person but he makes the fourth person I know that has been published or produced something from South Bend.
Two of us are from the same family!

Joe
There must be quite a few of us who have the book. I'll post whatever is needed, if someone else doesn't do it first! But I can't start until tomorrow. I think Steve mentioned the ones he has already, so we'll post the others.
Hal Cover's TA-152H is quoted as being the best duration flyer in the book, but the Wildcat/Hellcat are super... and Doug. McHard's Hurricane is not only a work of art, it's almost a complete lesson in quality model building.
I have all sorts of stuff to post, it's just a case of finding the time...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:03 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
738 Posts
Two thumbs up on the Outerzone site! I'm in there digging every week for something.One of the best tools for modeling on the internet ,helps keep the hobby healthy.

Mike1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:42 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,022 Posts
Outerzone is providing an invaluable service in making available historic plans of models which have shaped the first century (and the second) of model aviation. Frank Zaic from 1937 to the 1960's compiled a collection of three views of significant models of the era. This was before digitation was available.
Outerzone is continuing the invaluable work started by Frank Zaic, but has lifted the process of making original and copies of original Full Size plans available to all. This is extremely important in the preservation of our model aviation history.
In these days of "buy 'em and fly 'em models" (and I have to admit I am going that way with my R/C Sailplanes), it is vital to preserve the "nuts and bolts" designers original work.
I notice that the original intent was to publish Vintage or at least older designs. However there are newer designs (say post 70's) that are worthy of preservation.

Steve, you have done a wonderful job of compiling these plans.
I produced Model boat kits for several years and sold my model airplane plans. I realized that I could not make any money out of very restricted sales and decided to make the plans available for free. It is more personally satisfying to have the thrill of someone building my designs, than any monetary return.
Outerzone is the perfect forum to ensure that the history of Model Flying is preserved.
Thank you Steve.
John O'Sullivan is online now Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
63 Posts
dont fix what aint broke

hi
Outerzone is the best thing I have found...
I have built several models from the plans...... without the site there is noway I would have been able to build the great planes available there.
keep up the great work.....
regards Robyn
aussie robyn is offline Find More Posts by aussie robyn
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:36 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Plans

Hi Steve,
The 'Outerzone' site is brilliant. In fact I have dragged the URL into the 'most visited' line at the top of the page so that when online, Outerzone is just one click away. Thanks for all the hard work you have put into this.
Allen
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1