HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:05 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,196 Posts
Ah, I'd say buy it for a couple of months from the news-stand and see how you feel then. It's really not that bad. I liked the article on Veron Tru-Flite top tips, by Richard Crossley.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:03 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,296 Posts
Thanks, Steve. I'd try that but it's pretty hard to find single copies of Brit mags here. We pretty much have to subscribe. Which I've done before, do now, and will probably do again. I was just wondering if it would be worth it this time.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:28 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,196 Posts
Doh. Of course, I should have realised that was kinda the point. Well... I guess me I don't hate it, but you probably want to get a 2nd opinion. It has no RC stuff in there at all, for very political reasons to not conflict with other titles in the same stable, so all the content you get is either FF or CL, which to me is strange, but that might be exactly your thing.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:21 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,773 Posts
Well, I forked out my 40 quid simply because I wanted very much to see Aeromodeller back, am willing it to succeed, and if everyone sat on their hands and waited for reviews, it would never have got off the ground. Two issues so far and it is like the curates egg - good in parts. Apart from the above mentioned apparent lack of proof reading, other things which have annoyed are references in the text to photos which don't appear, the fact that someone seems to be a little "crop happy" with many of the photos (e.g. the flying scale column in the current edition), odd bits of, frankly, sheer gibberish (e.g. opening of the back page column in the current issue) and a tendency to use trendy blocks of colour behind some text for "design" reasons - for several hundred years it was felt that black type on a white background was the best option for reading, and not withstanding the technical ability to use coloured backgrounds now - it still is!.

Against this there does seem to be a genuine attempt to cover a reasonably wide range of aeromodelling disciplines, the Bostonian plan in this issue is a cute little model, and the content was sufficiently interesting to read it all.

As I said, early days and one can hope for improvement in some of the annoying shortcomings and a continuation and expansion of that which is good - but they need to find a way to present a full size plan for a model which is bigger than two magazine pages.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:09 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,296 Posts
Thank you, gentlemen. That's what I needed to know. Decision made.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:22 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,196 Posts
Anyone used DraftSight to export a plan out from dwg to pdf? Bit of a long shot, I know, but it would be handy if someone out there could tell me how to fix the scaling.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 08:30 AM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Hey Steve. What would you think about having a "random plan" button that when clicked would take you to just that, a random plan? I know you pretty much have this already with the 3 pictures that change each time the home page is refreshed but I thought I would mention it anyway. I know I would get a kick out of it.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Jul 02, 2013, 10:04 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
823 Posts
mb,

if you click on the little plane at the top , you get another 3 random plans on show

keep clicking till you get something that tickles your fancy

john
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Old Jul 04, 2013, 10:01 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2007
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John38 View Post
mb,

if you click on the little plane at the top , you get another 3 random plans on show

keep clicking till you get something that tickles your fancy

john
I tickle my fancy every day that way. Love the site!
fleaz is offline Find More Posts by fleaz
Old Jul 05, 2013, 05:29 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
914 Posts
Steve, thanks very much for making the site & plans available.

I bought a Cox Pee Wee from a friend & wanted to build a TopFlite Roaring 20
for it as it was my first (and unsuccessful ) radio model from decades ago.

Found the plan, built the model, flew it successfully (finally!)

A great site! - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Jul 05, 2013, 07:01 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbomber View Post
Hey Steve. What would you think about having a "random plan" button that when clicked would take you to just that, a random plan? I know you pretty much have this already with the 3 pictures that change each time the home page is refreshed but I thought I would mention it anyway. I know I would get a kick out of it.
Um, like you say, it seems to me to do the same thing. I guess you could have somewhere at the bottom of each PlanDetails page, a 'randomize' link that will then take you to a (any other) random PlanDetails page, and so on... ad infinitum? Still seems to me to be the same thing really. It's funny, but until you build these things and actually sit there using them, you never really find out how useful (or not) they are. Which I guess is my way of saying.. ok, will add that. In a bit.

Thanks John, and all, for the positive thoughts.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:51 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,292 Posts
Uncle Willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
I am curious. Does anyone know who this Piper PA-22 Tri-Pacer plan belongs to? It is 1/4th scale, at 89in wingspan. Here's a low res thumbnail of it. I believe this copy was bought online from Uncle Willie, I am just wondering if anyone knows who drew and published it originally? I am assuming it does not belong to, and was not drawn by, Uncle Willie.

It does say "William Miller Model Plan Service" on it, and the date 2004.
What became of Uncle Willie? The old link is dead:

http://www.myunclewilliestoo.com/
Trisquire is online now Find More Posts by Trisquire
Last edited by Trisquire; Sep 13, 2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 07:33 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,353 Posts
Hi guys!
I just printed and taped together the Carl Goldberg Skylane 42 plans I got from Outerzone (Many Many Thanks!)

After a few measurements, it seems to have printed out just right.

I wanted to get a short kit from http://www.lazer-works.com/misc.html and sent them an email asking about paypal payments but have gotten no replies.

Does anyone have any experience with this site. I'm hesitant to email money until I'm sure about a place. All I know is that they've been around a pretty long time but then so had Midwestern model and they're gone now.

Thanks for any info since I can't call them until Tues.

Nick
taildragger1589 is online now Find More Posts by taildragger1589
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2013, 07:42 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,209 Posts
I can cut you a Goldberg Skylane 42.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined May 2009