HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:43 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,202 Posts
Thanks Andy. I agree, with plans like for example FSI (no longer trading) and modern plans like that, am happy to include them. I would like to keep it to traditional style plans - I don't intend to start listing 3D foamie designs and such, but certainly I think if plans are out of copyright and a goiod design, I think they should go in, yes.

We can always search by date, so as long as everything is listed with a date, users can sift out the plans that dont interest them. I mean, if they are only interested in old timers, the modern plans should not cause a problem for them.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:16 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
671 Posts
Steve,

I've found another of those "misbehaving PDFs"...

Plan ID #213, Aeronca Sedan on floats, file size ~1.7MB...

Doesn't like Linux...

Comes up as a blank sheet on Document Viewer, Inkscape, and Gimp.
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:32 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,202 Posts
Hmm, works fine for me. Can someone else please check that one and see if it works ok?

I don't recall this from before. Which was the other plan?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:09 AM
Joined Oct 2012
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Hmm, works fine for me. Can someone else please check that one and see if it works ok?

I don't recall this from before. Which was the other plan?
I had some problems with the "Snow White" #3314, and with one of the P-51 plans. They'd either come up as blank, or they'd clog up the machinery so bad I'd have to reboot. I'm on a quad-core machine now, and the "Snow White" seems to be opening up OK. Don't remember which P-51 it was, though.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:21 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,279 Posts
No problems opening plans #213 or #3314.
Windows XP, Firefox, Inkscape, Adobe Reader 9.
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:44 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,202 Posts
Thanks perttime. Yes, both those plans #213 and #3314 work fine for me, using Adobe Reader X on Win7.

I also have a creaky old laptop that runs Adobe Reader 8 on WinXP, that works fine with both plans too.

Any one else care to check them? Would be interesting to narrow down what the issue is. The Linux OS seems unlikely to be the problem.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:37 AM
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
449 Posts
Many thanks Steve, Outerzone is true to the original aeromodelling spirit.
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:31 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
...Don't remember which P-51 it was, though.
Can you check which P-51 plan it was? Really do need a planID to help resolve issues. There are 49 search results for p-51.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Oct 2012
671 Posts
Quote:
Can you check which P-51 plan it was? Really do need a planID to help resolve issues. There are 49 search results for p-51.
Steve, I believe it was the "Golden Age" Bill Harney #64 version. I just DL'd a new copy, and it appears to be opening fine, but an older copy on my computer tried to hang the machine when I opened it.

I also just experienced a HDD failure of some sort that I'm attempting to unravel. That may have been a contributing factor all that time, and I didn't know it. Power glitch as it was writing something important, and it didn't close the partition properly.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:27 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
Steve, I believe it was the "Golden Age" Bill Harney #64 version. I just DL'd a new copy, and it appears to be opening fine, but an older copy on my computer tried to hang the machine when I opened it.

I also just experienced a HDD failure of some sort that I'm attempting to unravel. That may have been a contributing factor all that time, and I didn't know it. Power glitch as it was writing something important, and it didn't close the partition properly.
Ok. That's fine. So it is not a misbehaving PDF.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:19 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,202 Posts
Hey, we're all famous now. Outerzone got a mention in the Aeromodeller magazine 'Web Walk' pages this month (on page 51). The text caption under the screenshot photo says, and I quote: - "Outerzone lists of free vintage and old-timer flying model aircraft plans to download.resource." - which I have to applaud as highly creative use of both sentence structure and indeed punctuation. But let's not be sniffy. I'll take whatever publicity I can get. I'm not proud.

Maybe I could get a job working for them as sub-editor
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:29 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
Quote:

Maybe I could get a job working for them as sub-editor
Judging by the number of sentences that stop in mid air, instances of "?" appearing where someone has forgotten to insert a number and downright peculiar use of grammar I think they could do with one!! Early days, hopefully it will improve, both in content and style.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:39 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Judging by the number of sentences that stop in mid air, instances of "?" appearing where someone has forgotten to insert a number and downright peculiar use of grammar I think they could do with one!! Early days, hopefully it will improve, both in content and style.
Not to mention mis-identification of aircraft which happens regularly in Flying Scale Models and the old AMI.
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:07 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,202 Posts
Ha. But if the writing didn't make me wince periodically, I'd worry that I'd somehow picked up the wrong magazine.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:54 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Early days, hopefully it will improve, both in content and style.
Sounds a bit discouraging. I've been looking for some comments or reviews before subscribing (I've had far too many "dogs" in the past) but haven't seen anything yet.

Any opinions or thoughts?
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D