Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:00 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
You hit the nail on the head, SAM has two years that are important. Prior to 1939 and prior to 1942. I'm not sure what other vintage competitions there are out there , but adding those specific years would be helpful for SAM at least.

As far as gaps in information go, has anybody cross-referenced the Outerzone with SAM's approved lists? I would not mind going through it and adding missing information as I find it.
Excellent. No, I don't really know anything about SAM or their lists, but if you can send me some dates for plans (in any format you like) that would be great and I'll happily sort through and get that data listed. Ideally, if you could send me Outerzone plan ID numbers matched to a year, that would be no work at all. Well... no work for me

Thanks to ColonelBlink, there are a few more plans with dates on now, even as we speak.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:11 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Also, have just added the dates of 1938 and 1941 (inclusive) on the TagMatrix search index page. Hope that's what you mean, for the SAM rules. Let me know if that's not right.

Anyone wants to send in dates for plans.. feel free to send me in emails or spreadsheets or whatever. It would be nice to date everything. Might take a while though.

Actually, that has me thinking again.. What online lists of plan data are there out there that I'm not aware of? If you know of a listing of titles and dates that is online, can you please post and tell me about it here... there may well be a pile of free stuff out there I'm not grabbing and using because I haven't stumbled across it just yet.

Theoretically, I could grab the data and do something clever with it. Eventually.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:03 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Does anyone have the wing rib former for the Keil Kraft Outlaw?
heres one
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:27 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Can someone please confirm (or not) that the Joe Wagner Dakota plan here http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=233 really is correct as drawn with 5 deg *left* thrust in the motor mount? Just checking. It looks all wrong, but I guess maybe that just is how it really is.
It's 5.22 degrees, good eye.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
The Dakota firewall is 5 degrees
Front of the cowling is 2.83 degrees.
Prop is 5 degrees.
Overhead alignment of the fuselage is zero degrees.
The windshield and the dramatic left thrust is what makes it look weird.
This is the cowl and prop at zero and at 5
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Also, have just added the dates of 1938 and 1941 (inclusive) on the TagMatrix search index page. Hope that's what you mean, for the SAM rules. Let me know if that's not right.

Anyone wants to send in dates for plans.. feel free to send me in emails or spreadsheets or whatever. It would be nice to date everything. Might take a while though.

Actually, that has me thinking again.. What online lists of plan data are there out there that I'm not aware of? If you know of a listing of titles and dates that is online, can you please post and tell me about it here... there may well be a pile of free stuff out there I'm not grabbing and using because I haven't stumbled across it just yet.

Theoretically, I could grab the data and do something clever with it. Eventually.
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Not to mention that you work quickly.

SAM has an online list of all previously approved models for their competition. It includes model names, designers, kitters, years, and wingspans. I'm not sure how useful it could be, but it is a resource.

http://www.antiquemodeler.org/sam_ne.../adi_index.htm
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:01 AM
MnM
Portugal, Porto
Joined Aug 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBoehm View Post
Steve,
Thanks for putting up Sal Taibi designs on the random image on your home page. Sal passed away last week at 92. Great flying designs, my dad's favorite was the Brooklyn Dodger.
I was looking up Outerzone as I do every day when I noticed I was looking at the same thumbnails as yesterday. I was about to write to Steve that his random feature was broken when a bell rang! The site isn't broken, my brain is That is a hommage to Taibi. Nice touch Steve, thank you kindly.
MnM is offline Find More Posts by MnM
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:44 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,475 Posts
Quote:
.... there are a few more plans with dates on now, even as we speak.
Steve - I've just sent you an email to the website with a file containing a few more.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:04 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Steve - I've just sent you an email to the website with a file containing a few more.
Excellent, thanks.

For anyone else also interested in helping out by sending me years/dates for plans... have put up a new page here in the advanced section - http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/..._year_zero.asp - that lists out all the plans with year = 0. Might be handy.

Currently there's 1,176 of them. Thanks again to Colonel Blink for plugging away at them a bit more. It's going down slowly.

Steve
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:20 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
The Dakota firewall is 5 degrees
Front of the cowling is 2.83 degrees.
Prop is 5 degrees.
Overhead alignment of the fuselage is zero degrees.
The windshield and the dramatic left thrust is what makes it look weird.
This is the cowl and prop at zero and at 5
Thanks Rick. Sorry, I mised your answer before. That's great, thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:17 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Yay! Have picked this up at the Oxfam shop, for the princely sum of 2.99 - it's a 1975 UK edition of the original Keith Laumer 1960 book, and is full of wonderful stuff by the master. This will definitely be the 4th complete book I put up onto Outerzone.

Before I start scanning all 224 pages of this, let me just check - does anyone know if this book has been scanned and uploaded elsewhere? I mean the text, really. I plan to OCR it, and that may take me a while...
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:31 PM
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Joined Dec 1996
151 Posts
A Bit Of A Late Reply

Quote:
I thought I'd try opening a discussion thread on the subject of Outerzone. There may or may not actually be a need or an audience for this, we'll see, but there are a couple of things I defininitely hope to get out of it. And it might be helpful to others, of course. ... I suggest we keep this to just text. Just discussion.

Steve
Hi Steve:
Steve here from sunny (but cold) Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. I just sent you a donation for all the work you do. It's small, but Merry Christmas from someone who enjoys your site. I just finished scaling down a Flying Aces Stick for Speed 400 Duration, a SAM event. I used it as a way to learn TurboCAD more intimately. And then there's the Judge Wakefield. This is going to be another project (after the Stick) for electric Wakefield at the SAM Champs this coming fall. Just love those "DeHavilland-like" tail surface outlines.

I really don't have a constructive criticism of your site. I can navigate it really well and download what I need for potential projects. And...I'm also a bit of a scale nut with a taste for the unusual. The plan of the Tsh-3 for rubber will hopefully leap off my digital drawing board and onto the flying field. I have an old brushless inrunner just waiting for the project. Can't wait to hear the "What the heck is that?" comments at the field.

Happy Christmas and a happier New Year!
Steve Moskal
(AKA The Comet Kid)
Steve Moskal is offline Find More Posts by Steve Moskal
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:05 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Hi Steve,

Thanks, and a Merry Christmas to you, too. You could always send in photos of your completed models too, of course.

Steve
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Jan 2007
192 Posts
Quote:
Yay! Have picked this up at the Oxfam shop, for the princely sum of 2.99 - it's a 1975 UK edition of the original Keith Laumer 1960 book, and is full of wonderful stuff by the master. This will definitely be the 4th complete book I put up onto Outerzone.

Before I start scanning all 224 pages of this, let me just check - does anyone know if this book has been scanned and uploaded elsewhere? I mean the text, really. I plan to OCR it, and that may take me a while...
I don't recall seeing it. In any case, I would very much like to see it again, as my local library system has lost or removed theirs.
Bargle is offline Find More Posts by Bargle
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:11 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
All done... finally. The complete book is now online at: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/books/lis...ers.asp?book=4