HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:36 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Al, those artifacts can be deleted like any other entity. Below is a listing of their properties. (I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else spend any time on this non-problem, but you seem to be curious about it and I know what it's like to be bugged by something like that.)

To go a bit OT, I have many fond memories of that Skiffler, which I built as a young boy when it was first published in 1957. I had many enjoyable flights with it, over a period of several years, until the usual motorcycles/cars/girls thing came along and got in the way. Good times.
Harry,

Skiffler is a beautiful plane and one I hold in high esteem. Really was my first successful stunter. I'm even thinking of building one for radio, but then again one with lines would be good. Oh well all part of the normal building schemes and plans. Still have interest in motorcycles, no interest in metal boxes, and still looking, although wife curbs me!!!

Even stranger - getting back to TC and your artifacts. Being on layer 0 the layer colour is black (0,0,0). As I draw on a white background the two colours on the artifacts (28,28,28) and (128,128,128) would be immediately obvious. Tis strange indeed.
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:03 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Draft Sight

OK folks,

I have downloaded Draft Sight - no problems at all. I then opened the Skiffler .dwg file that I produced in TC with it.

That worked fine - a bit messy but certainly clear enough to build from.

I then saved a .dwg of it from Draft Sight. My TC 17 opened it fine and it opened with what seemed like the same definition as the original. Good.

What I will now do is send the DS .dwg file to Steve and ask him to host it for testing.

Al
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:11 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,163 Posts
Ok, got that, have uploaded hogal's test file to here - http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/..._bay/index.asp

It's the 2nd one, called Skiffler_Test_02_DS_1.dwg - filesize: 692KB
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:09 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Wow! opened almost instantly in my TCv18!
And with all of Al's coloring goodness!
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:15 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,370 Posts
I love your site Steve--I often look through all the plans on my iPad while watching TV and I must say that you have done and incredible service to modelers all over the globe. I was even flattered to find a couple of my plans there. Thanks so much for your efforts to keep all of these old plans alive--after all the greatest compliment a modeler can get is the knowledge that someone likes their designs. Bravo Zulu!
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:01 AM
MnM
Portugal, Porto
Joined Aug 2001
69 Posts
I got a break at work and came here for a breather. I had Draft Sight installed a while ago and was surprised to see it being discussed. I tried to open the DXF a couple of posts ago straight from the net, and bang! there it was in all its glory!!!

Thanks Steve, Hogal and all concerned
MnM is offline Find More Posts by MnM
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:10 AM
MnM
Portugal, Porto
Joined Aug 2001
69 Posts
By the way, I have a few hundred Mbs of drawings in DWG/DxF format, of the most mongrel origins downloaded in the last 15 years or so. I certainly cannot vouch for the copyright status of them, although I suppose most will be private efforts. Also quality is very mixed, some pretty good, some unfortunately not so

Also some will be CADified vintage, others will be absolutely no pedigree at all.

Should I send a few to someone for appraisal?

Cheers!
Miguel
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:11 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily View Post
I love your site Steve--I often look through all the plans on my iPad while watching TV and I must say that you have done and incredible service to modelers all over the globe. I was even flattered to find a couple of my plans there. Thanks so much for your efforts to keep all of these old plans alive--after all the greatest compliment a modeler can get is the knowledge that someone likes their designs. Bravo Zulu!
Thanks Pat, that means a lot to me coming from a designer of plans.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:37 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,163 Posts
Thanks for the offer Miguel, but at the monment I'm just trying to get hogals CAD files up and shared. I may well get back to you later though. The nice thing about the hogal files is they all slot in exactly into an existing planID on Outerzone, so everything is neat and tidy. Seamless, you might say.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:51 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,163 Posts
Ok, for those of you interested in CAD files, here is the news:

Hogal has kindly sent me 5 test files of CAD plans which I have now uploaded onto Outerzone to see how they fit in, and see how well they open for everyone.

Have added 2 new of pages under the 'Advanced' section. These list out titles of CAD files available for now, just so users can find and test the links.

The plan_details page now includes one extra line of (small) text, which shows you what download format(s) each plan is available in. It will say something like: "Format: •PDFbitmap"
There are 3 available formats:

1. PDFbitmap = a standard (what I call old school) pdf file.
2. PDFvector = a pdf file generated from a vector drawing program.
3. CADfile = a dedicated CAD file. Either a DWG or DXF file.

Almost all downloads will be of type 1. There are currently maybe a total of 165 of type 2. and there are a total 5 of type 3. as of today.

Currently, the CAD files are DWG format, just as they come out at smaller filesize than DXF.

You can use the 'Advanced' section to list out type 2 and 3 files for testing.

If you are not interested in CAD files, ignore all of this and carry on exactly as you were. Hopefully it will make no difference to you.

Any feedback is welcome.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:19 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,269 Posts
Steve, the DWG files all opened perfectly for me, in DraftSight. No artifacts like there were with the Skiffler DXF test file.

Once again, thanks to you and everyone else for putting in so much time and effort on all this.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:08 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,163 Posts
We now have 17 CAD files loaded, let me know if the DWG format is working for you. The link to list them out is here: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/...t_cad_file.asp
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:09 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,163 Posts
Right. Phew. Just to leave CAD to one side for a moment... this week I am working on the 3rd text in the 'Books' section, have finished Towner and Boys 'Scale Model Aircraft That Fly' ... now I am now going to try and get the 3rd book 'Flying Scale Models of WWII' by Bill Northrop (etc) finished this week. To that end, here is my request:

Does anyone want to volunteer to send me in good scanned photos from those pages? I have all the text and everything *except* clear photos to illustrate the pages. The photos I have are harsh jaggy and not clear. If you want to help out, here is how I suggest we do this:

There are 15 chapters, numbered from 1 to 15. First, check you possess the book, and a scanner. Second, post a message here telling me and everyone else which chapter number you will be scanning. That way, we do not end up doing the same work twice. Then, scan the pages (300dpi greyscale would be ideal) and email those pages to me. Remember, I only need the photos. You can skip any pages that are all text, or all plan. I only want the photos.

Hope that made sense. Let me know if not.

Over to you.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:37 AM
MnM
Portugal, Porto
Joined Aug 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Thanks for the offer Miguel, but at the monment I'm just trying to get hogals CAD files up and shared. I may well get back to you later though. The nice thing about the hogal files is they all slot in exactly into an existing planID on Outerzone, so everything is neat and tidy. Seamless, you might say.
No worries, of course you'll want to give proirity to Hogal's reworks, which come from the sweat of his mouse I'll keep mine in the back of the backburner.

This must have been mentioned in the past but there is a decent size archive of plans in DXF and other formats stored in 2004-2007 at that most excellent website www.profili.com . A number of the drawing files I collected are also found there anyway, look up Plans and Drawings.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:26 AM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,001 Posts
I can do that. Which chapter do you want me to do? If no one else has responded, I'll provide chapter 1.
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird