Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:24 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,474 Posts
Maybe the photo doesn't do it justice but the shot of the dash makes it look cheap in my opinion. I still haven't seen a volt in person.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:29 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2 View Post
The real killer lease rates were last month to clear out the 2012s- a pretty loaded one was <$300/mo/2yrs lease.

For the 2013s, the national lease rate on Chevy.com $299/3yrs/12kmi/$2kdown for a base car ($39K)

Since my car is loaded to the max (msrp of $44.5k) I ended up with $390/3yrs/10kmi/$0down.
I've never leased a car but those rates look very good for a car this expensive, and probably a good idea just in case the re-sale market isn't so good for some reason in a few years.

It will be very interesting to know how much gasoline you actually end up having to buy over time and miles.

Interesting chart but there may be some true market distortion going on with government purchases being all the rage.
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:32 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
No worries - recharging = revolting is a bit highbrow, but some will appreciate it !

I was against the interior before I was in favor of it - the original plan was a conservative all black leather with the dash in a dark grey. The decider thought it looked too much like a regular car and wanted to go wild - when a woman wants to go wild- I let them. It actually looks pretty good to me now.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
I've never leased a car but those rates look very good for a car this expensive, and probably a good idea just in case the re-sale market isn't so good for some reason in a few years.

It will be very interesting to know how much gasoline you actually end up having to buy over time and miles.

Interesting chart but there may be some true market distortion going on with government purchases being all the rage.
There is no question these things are a creature of .gov policy - the Prius ramped up on tax rebates as well. I pay plenty of taxes, so I am not shy about taking advantage of things that work in my favor as well.

We have other vehicles that we keep for various reasons, but always lease my wifes car - there is usually some decent discount available and it is nice to have her in a new car - which we put the most miles on, and have no hassles with resale, repairs or anything.

For anyone interested in the actual mileage, gas used, etc. of these cars - there is a website that logs all the data - directly from the car's computer via Onstar (so there is no possible funny business in fudging the numbers)

https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Achievements

There are people out there that have put 10,000+ miles on a single 9 gallon tank of gas!

On average the ratio is about 70% EV miles to 30% on gas.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Has anyone come up with an actual number as to what it costs for a full charge? I am just curious. I saw one post where he tripped a breaker. That may have just been a GFI fault or may have been an overcurrent situation. If it is an overcurrent situation that would peg it at somewhere around 16 amps as a guess. Fairly hefty.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
From what I understand the Volt is based on the Cruz platform. If so I've been there and done that at GM. A very long time ago I bought some un godly car because it looked neat. A two door hachback coupe that was supposed to come with a Wankel engine. It had either an /Buick or Oldsmobile badge on it. I had to get out of that car and do walk around all the time because that think drove so bad but looked so neat and I just couldn't figure this out. It came with a V6 that vibrated like a Harley.

Further investigation and I found out that the platform was based on a Vega. I stuck an ad in the paper a little more then a year out and sold it with no problem. Now this type of stuff happens to me all the time. The stories I could tell. I'm on an airplane on biz and a guy sits down next to me. He looks at me and says I bought a car from you. No says I. Yep it says it was a (waste it it was, and I said really.. He said he had it for a year and sold it to. Awlful. He wasn't mad , its was one of those mistakes in life with cars that happens all the time., but I was a bit embarrassed.

Now the Cruz is in the same junk class as the Vega as far as I'm concerned. GM has a long history of doing crap like this. I remember the v8 Diesel fiasco during another gas crisis. No way would I every go near GM again, Deloreans training ground. and now government motors.
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
Has anyone come up with an actual number as to what it costs for a full charge? I am just curious. I saw one post where he tripped a breaker. That may have just been a GFI fault or may have been an overcurrent situation. If it is an overcurrent situation that would peg it at somewhere around 16 amps as a guess. Fairly hefty.
See post #29 above

currently I am at about $1.50 for a charge, when I get the 220V charger it will drop to 80 cents.

I didn't blow any breaker, my whole neighborhood went out for a couple hours... it wasn't me ! I swear! - yes the load is about 15A for both 120 and 220 chargers- the 220 is 3.3kW. Actually, calling the wall mounted parts "chargers" is a misnomer - the actual 3.3kW charger is built into the vehicle - the "charger" is just a safety device that links the car to the grid at the appropriate voltage.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Quote:
load is about 15A for both 120 and 220
Ohms law tells me something is wrong with your logic there. Watts are watts only the current changes as the voltage change. So basically it therotically would be the same costs wether it is 240 or 120. The only difference may be the duration of the charge.

3.3KW at 120V is over 27 amps so a 120V 20 amp circuit would not hold for more than a few seconds at best. 15 amps at 120V would be 1,800 watts. FWIW
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
Ohms law tells me something is wrong with your logic there. Watts are watts only the current changes as the voltage change. So basically it therotically would be the same costs wether it is 240 or 120. The only difference may be the duration of the charge.

3.3KW at 120V is over 27 amps so a 120V 20 amp circuit would not hold for more than a few seconds at best. 15 amps at 120V would be 1,800 watts. FWIW
the charge at 120V is half as fast as at 220V (yes, 1.6kW vs 3.3kW)

The cost is different because, as explained above, the utility offers a reduced off-peak(night) rate of $.08/kWhr for the 220v charger vs the normal $.15/kWhr rate for the 120v system.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:12 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2 View Post
The real killer lease rates were last month to clear out the 2012s- a pretty loaded one was <$300/mo/2yrs lease.

For the 2013s, the national lease rate on Chevy.com $299/3yrs/12kmi/$2kdown for a base car ($39K)

Since my car is loaded to the max (msrp of $44.5k) I ended up with $390/3yrs/10kmi/$0down.

I have seen a bit better deals on gm-volt.com forum but that is what I was able to get here.

On the lease paperwork, it shows a $2500 rebate as the only price reducer- the other factors in the low price are a low interest rate and I assume the federal subsidy boosting the residual.

At the Chevy dealer I leased at, 6 of the people who work there have them and went out of their way to express their excitement.

Rum- there is no doubt GM and all the greenies over estimated the price sensitivity of these kinds of vehicles- but I found this interesting chart that shows the volt is ramping up at the same rate as the Prius - which was "a big hit".

My daughter is a car nut - and she too was hoping for the car show version...
Also, the Prius was not the first Hybrid, as Honda was the trailblazer for hybrids, whereas the Volt is the first of its kind. This means there was positive feedback out there from Honda before Toyota got on board.

I keep hearing Toyota is going to market a plug in hybrid in 2013.

It would seem to me a small pickup truck would be ideal for this. I see these auto parts places like NAPA with five or six of them parked outside at night, which they make short delivery trips.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:07 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
Also, the Prius was not the first Hybrid, as Honda was the trailblazer for hybrids, whereas the Volt is the first of its kind. This means there was positive feedback out there from Honda before Toyota got on board.

I keep hearing Toyota is going to market a plug in hybrid in 2013.

It would seem to me a small pickup truck would be ideal for this. I see these auto parts places like NAPA with five or six of them parked outside at night, which they make short delivery trips.
IIRC Ford was gonna make electric Transit vans.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:09 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
So you can plug the Volt into your home and charge the battery to run the generator to power your home to charge the Volt.....
I think you need superconducting cables for that.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:26 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
IIRC Ford was gonna make electric Transit vans.
I like those, but haven't done much research on them.

The idea could save some folks around here a lot of money, large metro area where people doing service call often do 100+ miles a day, if you could cut the first 40 miles off that with electricity, might even be able to charge a bit during lunch and add some more, the savings over a year would be remarkable.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:42 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,938 Posts
How does the air conditioner work when you are on battery power? How much does it cut down in mileage on ev power?
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:45 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
I think you need superconducting cables for that.
Actually, I'd be very interested in how much wattage the cars engine can put out and at what fuel consumption rate. Portable generators are a handy thing, expensive and in efficient. It would be great to be able to use the car as a generator when the power is out... To run the fridge and lights or maybe even a window ac unit.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious