HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,768 Posts
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Last edited by Usta Bee; Oct 06, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:56 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2 View Post
Okay, with all the griping about GM and politics, the actual car has gotten lost. So, with my wife's lease up we needed a new vehicle.

The idea of the Volt appealed to both of us - most of her driving is running around, and we should be able to do all of that on the 40 mile electric range. We also travel to our cottage often which is 70 miles away, and will also be using it for the 500 mile trips we take on occasion to visit family. So I will report on how it handles these different types of trips and the effects of our four seasons here in MI.

The original objective was to get a decent lease on a 2013 (2012s are sold out) - the wife wanted white exterior and the black leather interior with white accents (space age looking). Our local dealer had the exact vehicle we wanted, but we decided one day too late and it was gone (they sold 76 Volts last month).

The only one available with the aforementioned specs was truly loaded - navigation, an optical based lane departure warning and collision warning system, rear vision camera, polished wheels and bose speakers....we went ahead anyway, so I can review these interesting safety systems as time goes on as well.
Congrats on the new car. They are basically giving that car away via lease to get it to move off of the lots. If it fits your need I think it will be a great car for you. I look forward to you reports on it.

I was seriously condidering it for my wife and then they changed the body style and GM needed taxpayer dollars to survive. That took me out of the market for that car. The old body style was sweet.

RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:59 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2 View Post
Ok day2 - Wife used up about half the range this morning on errands, came home and plugged back in....first problem ! - power outage !

Our power almost never goes out - how strange is it the day after getting an EV the power goes out ?

There are a bunch of websites that show public charging stations so since it was dark in the house and we were hungry we looked for a local charger (for fun, we still had 20EV miles left, plus the 300 miles on the gas in the tank).

charge website - www.plugshare.com

We found a charger and a Pub 5 miles away and experienced our first public charge - this one was a nice level 2 charger (level 1 is the 120v charger the car came with ) - these level 2 public chargers can recharge the car in 4 hours instead of 8+

We plugged in and went to the Pub for a couple of beers and nachos - when we were done, the cars electric range had doubled from the 14 miles we had when we stopped to 28 or so.

costs - beer and nachos - $20 - 14 more miles of driving - $0!

there were 3 chargers at the Pub location - and even though the place was packed (Friday after work) we were the only users.

The power was back on when we got home, plugged in to recharge for tomorrow
In 2007 we lost power in my area for 1-2 weeks. I didn't consider that impact on that kind of car. Down at the cabin in TN it is not unusual to loose power for us.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:10 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,565 Posts
Nice post. Downer much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
Looks like a Zebra puked in it.

I have that in my car too, it's called "eyeballs".

That's not charging, that's re-Volting.

What would the range be with one of those bicycle dynamos running off the rear tire ?.

Running the curling iron off of the cigarette lighter socket will have a tendency to do that.

DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:17 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
In 2007 we lost power in my area for 1-2 weeks. I didn't consider that impact on that kind of car. Down at the cabin in TN it is not unusual to loose power for us.
Pretty difficult to pump gas at a station with no power.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:22 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
Pretty difficult to pump gas at a station with no power.
True but I have a gas can at my house that could give me an additional 150 miles besides what's in my car. I do remember waiting in line at a gas station that had power in 2007.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:23 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Nice post. Downer much?
Agreed. No need to bash on a guys purhcase. You might not like it but there is no need to insult it.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:23 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
It isn't GM fault you lost power. Move into the city.

As for requiring electricity to pump gas, good point. My counter point is I haven't figured out a way to store electrons in a 5 gallon can. Also, for some silly reason I tend to fillup when I get about half tank. Thirdly, I've had more trouble with the gas station not being able to read debit/credit cards than trying to find gas when the power was out. That's just me.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:25 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I see a mod coming for the Volt that will use its generator to run some of the power needed in the home during an outage.
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:28 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
I see a mod coming for the Volt that will use its generator to run some of the power needed in the home during an outage.
So you can plug the Volt into your home and charge the battery to run the generator to power your home to charge the Volt.....
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:28 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
It isn't GM fault you lost power. Move into the city.

As for requiring electricity to pump gas, good point. My counter point is I haven't figured out a way to store electrons in a 5 gallon can. Also, for some silly reason I tend to fillup when I get about half tank. Thirdly, I've had more trouble with the gas station not being able to read debit/credit cards than trying to find gas when the power was out. That's just me.
I live in the city. Almost all of dayton and Cincinnati and everything in between lost power during that wind storm. Many places in the cities were out of power for up to 2 weeks. The cabin in TN is another story. We go there to get away from the city.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:33 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Maybe move next to a coal fired powerplant. No wait....
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:39 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Maybe move next to a coal fired powerplant. No wait....
I just need to make a few more tweaks on my flux capacitor and its all good.

Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:21 AM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Radix, it would be interesting see you compare your home power consumption as well, e.g., past three months vs. next three.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
How many KW to charge for 8 hours?
Where I live the KW is $0.18.
And 20 miles to town.
Just wondering what a cost to drive to town and back would be.
And what do you pay in lew of gas tax for eclectic car?
Here is is $500 registration fee.
A full charge is about 10kwh, so at .18/kwh a charge would cost about $1.80 (so about $1.80 for 40 miles).

If the thing was dead every day (we don't drive 40mi/ day) - it would cost about $54/mo. (vs. a 30mpg car and $3.85 gas - $154/mo).

Our electric rate is a bit lower at .15/kwh all in.

I have applied for a level 2 charger from the local utility (DTE energy) which also provides for a special EV rate if the car is charged during off-peak times (11pm-9am)
This will lower the cost to .08/kwh - if you don't charge off peak it has a penalty rate of .18/kwh.

DTE is going to install the charger for free, and since it is a level2 charger, I will be able to charge up in only 4 hrs.

The car has a charge menu that allows it to automatically charge during the lowest cost time by entering the utilities rate schedule. So, I will still be able to plug it in anytime, and it will charge itself after 11pm unless told otherwise.

So, I am expecting to pay worst case 80 cents a day for juice. ($24/mo for 1,200mi of driving)

Even with our limited driving compared to some folks, I would think we will save around $100/mo.

Flybynight - I don't think we pay any EV special registration tax - maybe the Volt doesn't pay because we will still be using gas on longer trips ?
My registration cost was $23 plus a $8 plate transfer fee.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:18 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
So the news recently was that leasing the Volt was the best deal. How much are you paying?
Quote:
Congrats on the new car. They are basically giving that car away via lease to get it to move off of the lots. If it fits your need I think it will be a great car for you. I look forward to you reports on it.

I was seriously condidering it for my wife and then they changed the body style and GM needed taxpayer dollars to survive. That took me out of the market for that car. The old body style was sweet.
The real killer lease rates were last month to clear out the 2012s- a pretty loaded one was <$300/mo/2yrs lease.

For the 2013s, the national lease rate on Chevy.com $299/3yrs/12kmi/$2kdown for a base car ($39K)

Since my car is loaded to the max (msrp of $44.5k) I ended up with $390/3yrs/10kmi/$0down.

I have seen a bit better deals on gm-volt.com forum but that is what I was able to get here.

On the lease paperwork, it shows a $2500 rebate as the only price reducer- the other factors in the low price are a low interest rate and I assume the federal subsidy boosting the residual.

At the Chevy dealer I leased at, 6 of the people who work there have them and went out of their way to express their excitement.

Rum- there is no doubt GM and all the greenies over estimated the price sensitivity of these kinds of vehicles- but I found this interesting chart that shows the volt is ramping up at the same rate as the Prius - which was "a big hit".

My daughter is a car nut - and she too was hoping for the car show version...
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2