Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:59 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
I doubt even the fairly common of that time comes anywhere near as high as the low points today.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:18 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
I doubt even the fairly common of that time comes anywhere near as high as the low points today.
Hard to say.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:35 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Certainly less reported and less open about such things ... But such behavior was also less tolerated by parents and the social norms.

It should be noted however the incidence of single parent families in the black community was much lower before the Civil Rights Act .... Much of today's single parent black families comprise of single mothers in their teens and early twenties.
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:46 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Certainly less reported and less open about such things ... But such behavior was also less tolerated by parents and the social norms.

It should be noted however the incidence of single parent families in the black community was much lower before the Civil Rights Act .... Much of today's single parent black families comprise of single mothers in their teens and early twenties.
Around 1980 I was seeing a social worker who counseled low income unwed mothers at a city hospital. She said most used "luck" for birth control.

In low income groups a reason for having a child is "they'll HAVE to love me." Another is to make a mark on the world they feel they couldn't any other way. Finally, to trap a man into staying they think they'll have little chance of keeping other ways (though that's not uncommon in various income groups).

Some young girls are just crazy about the idea of having a baby. At the Health Museum we had one of those robot babies that would cry at random intervals; you'd have to put a card in a slot to make it stop, labeled "need diaper change," "colic," "hungry," etc. Worked pretty well at changing their minds when they realized they had no idea what it wanted!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:54 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
Yeah, fewer kids to be on the dole and/or grow up to be headcases or jailbirds. I'm not seeing a downside.

You're just not thinking broadly enough. Ponder on it for a while and think of all the things that the government could give away using public money, all in the name of protecting people from unintended consequences of their behavior. It wouldn't be long before there was no money left.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:05 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
You're just not thinking broadly enough. Ponder on it for a while and think of all the things that the government could give away using public money, all in the name of protecting people from unintended consequences of their behavior. It wouldn't be long before there was no money left.
I take your point, but the cost/benefit analysis works with birth control (cheap at the price compared to the consequences).

This is human nature we're talking here. Yeah, you can say parents can take more of a role and that there should more personal responsibility, but if a few bucks spent wisely can head off a passel of future grief, I'm for it.

At the Health Museum we would have black-tie fund raisers from time to time. After one, I found a used condom in the kitchen...human nature. At least they used protection.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
It's against American values for other people to be paying for other's luxury.

Having sex is a luxury. It is your responsibility if you use it for something else other than children. If you want to throw human nature into the mix like an annoying liberal, human nature does not involve birth control-it involves having the kid like a man, not like a scardicat.
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:54 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,945 Posts
just a side note here..... probably TMI... but my SO and I have been together for almost 10 years now.... other than the ol pinch n pull method, we have NEVER used any form of contraceptive. No kids. same thing with the previous girl I was with for 6.5 years.

that makes 16.5 years of unprotected sex with no pregnancy. Either this isn't a difficult concept or I'm infertile.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:56 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
I can bump into them in the hallway and they swell up
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:06 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious View Post
just a side note here..... probably TMI... but my SO and I have been together for almost 10 years now.... other than the ol pinch n pull method, we have NEVER used any form of contraceptive. No kids. same thing with the previous girl I was with for 6.5 years.

that makes 16.5 years of unprotected sex with no pregnancy. Either this isn't a difficult concept or I'm infertile.
Or you've been extraordinarily lucky. Most people wouldn't have the same luck.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:12 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post

Now you're just braggin'
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:08 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
I tried the pinch n pull method twice and ended up with 2 kids. Birth control ever since
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,156 Posts
Figures I have seen that a year of regular unprotected sex results in pregnancy in about 90% of the cases. There are about 10% of married couples who cannot produce a pregnancy for one reason or another. My uncle and my aunt on my father's side had long marriages (No not to each other!) and never produced a child, and I am an only child. I know several long married couples who could not have a child, and adopted.

If you look back at historical data, you will find that proportions of teen pregnancies are down compared to what they used to be. As I recall, they were higher in the 1950s, for example, than anytime since. One factor is that, in the past, girls married at a much younger age, and an unmarried girl 20 years old was thought an old maid.

One thing which has changed is the increase in numbers of single mothers. I think I have read that, at present, more babies are born out of wedlock that to married couples. Maybe not, maybe it is that more cohabiting couples are not married than are married. Whatever!
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Last edited by Jim Thomerson; Oct 07, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
Things are super complicated for me. The Gays want to get married. The straights do not. Is that the correct word for non Gay? The # of marriages in the US is in steady decline. 2009-2010 declined by 5%. It's even bigger in Europe and the majority situation in the Scandinavian countries.

Odd story but our son who lives in N Ca wanted to get married but his live in said no. They did after much coaxing. He was afraid it would mess up their kids birth certificates and future lives. They did wait till she was expecting and I have no problems with that if you want kids. Some religious groups practice that.

Nature says get pg at 15. Society says if you do that your life is not going to be a happy one. Birth control is the only answer and it should be free . So should sterilization. The guys that run around and fertilize any thing that holds still should be clipped after 2-3 kids. Welfare moms after 2 kids. That sure would help a huge social problem I think. But the unexpected consequences always show up. Murphy just waits to pounce.
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:09 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
Don't bump them so hard.