HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:35 PM
Left, NO your other left!
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Jun 2008
792 Posts
Question
Cleveland Model & Supply

Has any one ever ordered from Cleveland Model & Supply? I am thinking about ordering a set of plans from them. I just want to get the opinion from someone who has gotten orders from them.
-Andrew

http://www.clevelandairline.com/default.asp
weathervane is offline Find More Posts by weathervane
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:49 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,619 Posts
Yes, I spent about $150 there earlier this year.

Great service, quick callback on the phone. Nothing but good to say.

Be sure you understand what you're getting. These are old drawings and construction techniques. There are several levels of quality, too. The different sizes come from enlarging/reducing a drawing, so there's still a bit of engineering for you to do with some of the sizes.

Order the catalog. It will help a bunch.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,604 Posts
AndyKunz is correct! I built my first scale RC model, a Weddell-Williams Model 44, using their plans. I was happy with how it turned out. I have since bought many of their plans form over there in Cleveland Model and Supply land!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Jun 2008
792 Posts
Ok, Thank you. I am thinking about building the Lockheed Model 10A Electra. I have not decided on the scale yet. I would love to build the 1/4 scale 163 wingspan. But I just don't have the room for it. I think I will stick with the 1/8 scale 81.9 wingspan.
Thanks again for the info.
-Andrew
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:33 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,619 Posts
You're probably better there, too. Most likely the plans for the 1/4 scale will need major changes to support the weight of the structure for a plane that large. That's what I was saying earlier - they just scale up/down a single set of drawings. Engineering-wise, that doesn't work well, especially when increasing the size.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,604 Posts
The Cleveland plans have very nice outlines. To me that's a great start. I'm a BIG fan of Golden Age Race planes. I've compared the William F. Kerka 3-views of some of the aircraft vs the Cleveland designs and they are very comparable. Ed Packard of Cleveland was a very nice fellow and I communicated with him from time to time. He was able to 'crawl' over some airplanes to take measurements for some of his designs. The Electra will make a nice model. They don't have to be huge to be neat!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
That's what I was saying earlier - they just scale up/down a single set of drawings.Andy
I always assumed that from the way they presented them. My question would be, how can I tell what size the original plans were??
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:10 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,619 Posts
They give wood dimensions on the plans. Just do the math from that.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Jun 2008
792 Posts
My only problem is this. I have never built a complete plane from plans. I have built several kits. I have even made replacement parts for crashed planes. I drew and made my own balsa wing to replace a foam wing on a small park flyer. So cutting and making the parts does not scare me. A full build of a plane from just plans, it does make me think twice.
-Andrew
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,604 Posts
You might consider getting a simple single engine airplane plan from Cleveland Model and Supply for 'practice' at re-engineering for RC. If you get something that will use one of the engines or electric motors you plan to use for the twin- that would be 'efficient'!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:54 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathervane View Post
My only problem is this. I have never built a complete plane from plans. I have built several kits. I have even made replacement parts for crashed planes. I drew and made my own balsa wing to replace a foam wing on a small park flyer. So cutting and making the parts does not scare me. A full build of a plane from just plans, it does make me think twice.
-Andrew
Building from plans isn't much different from building from a kit. You just have to cut out the parts yourself. This is easy to do with a sharp single-edge razor blade (hobby knives are harder to control, razor blades follow the lines better). All you do is make copies of the parts sheets included with the plan, cut out the individual paper parts from the sheet and paste them down on a sheet of balsa making sure the grain of the balsa is running in the best direction for strength. Use a "glue stick" for paste obtainable from an office supply store. Then after pasting the part down on the balsa sheet, cut through the paper pattern into the balsa. Remember to cut out tight curves and holes first as this reduces problems with the balsa splitting. To remove the paper pattern glued to the part, use alcohol.

If there is no "parts sheet" included with the plan, just make a couple of copies of the plan and locate the parts on the plan and cut them from a plan copy. Actually, this reduces any problems with inaccurate part drawings.

To improve the accuracy of the cut out part, try cutting the part out just outside of the line and then sanding the part down to the line using a sanding stick. You can easily make sanding sticks of various sizes by gluing sandpaper to various size wood sticks. I use wooden "tongue depressors" and coffee stirrers available by the bag full (cheap) at craft stores.

Don't be put off by all of this. I was doing all of this at the age of ten years old. You have to start somewhere and you are much older than ten.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Last edited by planeman; Oct 07, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Jun 2008
792 Posts
OK, thanks guys. I will probably not order the plans untill the first of the year. I do have a set of very small park flyer plans.(25 inch WS) I might build it first and then move on to the bigger Electra.
-Andrew
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathervane View Post
-Andrew
You've done this wing so you know the pleasure of seeing something you made that works! If you have any questions please ask! I love this stuff! I'm a balsa addict! lol
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
They give wood dimensions on the plans. Just do the math from that.
Andy
Be nice to know before ordering the plans...

Don't want to build an 80" scale bird from plans designed for a free flight rubber band model.
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,619 Posts
Just ask him - he's only a phone call away (and he DOES take phone calls).

Andy
Site Sponsor