HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:31 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,371 Posts
Build Log
#16 Model Airplane Build Clinic <<Primo 15 3D Night Flyer>>

I will be building a Swany House Primo 15. This is a small 3D profile plane I'm hoping will be a good front yard flyer. There are very few good 3D planes in kit form. I hope this is one of them

Planes I build for flying at home I typically equip with LED's for night flying and this plane will be no exception. I'll go into details on the simple LED setup I useas the build progresses.

http://www.swanyshouse.com/primo15/primo15.aspx

This build is in conjunction with the Model Airplane Build clinic.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704076

This is a really fast building plane. The fuse is only a few pieces.

Wing does need to be pinned to the plans so it comes out straight.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:11 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Looking forward to the build and especially the LED lights. I'd like to do the same with my next plane or maybe convert my Switchback to a night time flyer.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Hi Jim, how long did it take your kit to arrive after placing the order? My Primo 40 was ordered a couple of weeks ago... still waiting for it.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:32 PM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Hi Jim, how long did it take your kit to arrive after placing the order? My Primo 40 was ordered a couple of weeks ago... still waiting for it.
Took about 2 weeks. He sent an email after the order indicating it would take a while. Have you had any email contact?
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:40 PM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Looking forward to the build and especially the LED lights. I'd like to do the same with my next plane or maybe convert my Switchback to a night time flyer.

Frank
I plan on enough showing enough details so others canlearn how to build their own custom installations.

A switchback would be a great night flyer.
When starting night flying its best to start flying in a location you are familiar with, so you know where all the trees and bushes are by heart, because you won't see them . Starting at dusk or with a full moon is also helpful.

I build my led setups with resistors and leds only. Very inexpensive and completely customizable.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
Took about 2 weeks. He sent an email after the order indicating it would take a while. Have you had any email contact?
Yeah, one email after the order, and other a few days ago promising the kit would ship this week. I guess that means "any day now." I'm not expecting a formal shipping notice for some reason.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,133 Posts
Subscribed I love profile planes. I am strongly considering a Mojo 65 with a DLE 20 gas. If I can finish the projects I am already working on Swany's planes are like Mountain Models. You can't go wrong.
Fred
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:49 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
I plan on enough showing enough details so others canlearn how to build their own custom installations.

A switchback would be a great night flyer.
When starting night flying its best to start flying in a location you are familiar with, so you know where all the trees and bushes are by heart, because you won't see them . Starting at dusk or with a full moon is also helpful.

I build my led setups with resistors and leds only. Very inexpensive and completely customizable.
I've been looking for a balsa profile for a long time and this looks perfect.

I think I'll order one and follow in your footspteps. Thanks for doing this build thread and LED setup.

Frank
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:01 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
This plane is awesome. I've built two of them. Mine has LED's in it too and always gets comments from people when I fly it after dark at events. I also fly it in front of my house; which is one of the reasons I love it so much.

If you guys want I can post pictures, but I don't want to hijack the thread or anything.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:57 PM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,371 Posts
Teookie, please do post pictures here! We would love to see them!
Jim
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:39 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Ok.

I thought I had more pictures of the build process, but this is all I could find. At least you can see how I lit the wing. I put red LED's on the lower forward spar, and white LED's on the upper forward spar. The blue covering completely blocks the light from the red LED's, so at night the top of the wing glows red, and the bottom glows blue. I put 4 white super bright 5mm LED's with resistors in the tail. Lights are powered directly from the 3S flight pack.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,371 Posts
Very Cool!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Very cool indeed. Thanks for posting sharing your photos.

Frank
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Thanks for the motivation Jim. Plane is ordered. I'm looking forward to your LED tips. I never messed with LEDs before.

Frank
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:50 PM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,371 Posts
Sounds like it will be a good plane. Lets hope we all enjoy!