Closed Thread
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:46 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Discussion
Brushless Nano cpX conversion

Well I figured I would move the conversion away from my blog so more can find and add to it easier

Following Dylans lead I went off and started my brushless conversion of the nano the other day. Durning the conversions I noticed the motor does not have to have the hub changed out for a bearing tube nor did i need to make a new longer shaft as been mentioned previously.

To make the pinion reach the proper area below the motor it needed an additional 1mm in length which i was able to get from pounding the motor shaft downward from the bell a bit.

Instead of using a bearing tube from another motor I left the hub the same and made an adapter out of clear tubing that I was able to get cut straight on both sides using two washers as guides. Though after looking back I would now change this out for 7mm plastic washers that are about 2mm thick.

I then shaved the motor mount on the frame perfectly flat to accept the new motor and glued it into place.

I Bought a brushless heli flash stick and made an adapter for my esc though i have not as of yet tried it and instead went and flashed my esc with the micro solder points on the esc itself as suggested by Daryoon and is how it is written up in the BLHeli guide.

I soldered everything straight to the esc and piped the power to the esc before the main board. I tapped the signal into the back upper right of the main board. I then flashed my esc when BLHeli code V6.1 as V7.0 wouldnt flash. V6.1 can be found HERE

I then mounted the servos using msrx blade grip screws, pitch link ends and the dampers from the feather in shaft. I will change out the dampers for solid washers soon.

After flying a bit I have noticed any little vibe on 8 tooth makes the tail kick. It seems most vibes come from the servo arms that now touch the servo when moving due to the servo being brought outward. Simple fix will be to put a small outward bend in each arm, or if possible bring the servos in slightly without motor rub.

FOR FUTURE INFORMATION PLEASE VISIT THIS THREAD http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=459685
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:52 AM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Here are the main board signal and esc signal solder points.

RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Blade Nano CPx BL Frame Mod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,
I am a new user here but I've been following the BL Nano thread and wanted to give my inputs on how I mod the frame to accept a HP03S BL outrunner. The mod I did require the use of the MCP x frame along with the Nano CPx frame. It took me a little over 30 minutes and it works beautifully. I haven't weigh it yet but will when everything is assembled together. This way I'll know exactly how much of a difference from the stock. Anyway, I think the difference in the stock frame vs. the mod frame is very little cause only a small portion of the MCPx frame is added in place of the Nano stock frame. Furthermore the HP03S outrunner is lighter than the stock motor so the final weight will be closely similiar. Anyway, I've attach a quick DIY instruction and pictures I made for my friends. Enjoy!
Hellimod is offline Find More Posts by Hellimod
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Here are the main board signal and esc signal solder points.

Hi

I need help. I soldered the signal wire to the 3in1 location as shown. Is this going to be a positive or negative signal. Also do I have to reverse any throttle setting cause it seem like my voltage starts out high and then dropped as I increased the throttle. I measured the voltage from one line at the signal wire and the other at the battery power. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:18 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Spektrum is positive shift...You should not have to reverse the throttle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Oct 08, 2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: misread the question ...
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:39 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Here is my revised plastic and brass washer motor mount.
I initially CA'd it to the motor to test but now that I like it I will epoxy it so it is permanent.

Motor is a hp03s 13500kv
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Oct 08, 2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: motor type
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Spektrum is positive shift...You should not have to reverse the throttle
Hi Indoor Heli,
I don't know if I'm missing out on something here. I've soldered the signal wire as shown in your picture above and started my heli but didn't get any motor response. I then changed the esc to accept (-) negative input signal and the motor work but the problem is it works backward. When I throttled up on the transmitter, the motor would stop and when throttled down, the motor would spin. Sorry if this might be a stupid question but I'm pretty new at this hobby. Anyway, I've just thought of something: would changing the throttle curve help fix this problem? Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:05 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
It should still be a positive signal as it goes through the esc and is converted. But admitiingly i have quite limited knowledge on this particular subject

Are you using the xp3a esc?
What TX?

Not sure if you got my PM or not but throttle curves would not help this issue. Though I am curious if you reverse the throttle channel if it still works at all.

I just read that someone used a Walkera Tail ESC and had to grab the signal from elsewhere on the board
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Oct 09, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
It should still be a positive signal after it goes through the esc and is converted.

Are you using the xp3a esc?
What TX?

Not sure if you got my PM or not but throttle curves would not help this issue. Though I am curious if you reverse the throttle channel if it still works at all.

I just read that someone used a Walkera Tail ESC and had to grab the signal from elsewhere on the board
Hi,
Yes I'm using the xp3a along with the DX6i transmitter. With the BL heli code v6.1, do I need to set the esc to take in positve (+) or neg (-) signal cause it doesn't work with pos. it worked with neg (-) signal but the throttle is reversed. As far as using the Walkera esc, it works the same cause the Walkera esc only accept neg(-) signal.
BTW, I connected a voltmeter with the pos(+) line to the signal on 3in1 and neg(-) to battery and it measures no voltage at any throttle range. When I reverse the voltmeter wire, it have voltage,but in reverse with throttle movement.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:57 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Well If it is the xp3a with BLHeli code then the signal It isnt even being converted so less is better there

Using the xp3 setup it should be a positive signal..are you giving the throttle a blip after the heli binds and let it the esc setup when receiving pos signal?
I also know that the way mine is setup currently, the esc will not arm if idle up (flat curve) is on even with throttle hold on. So verify T-hold is off so it sees the complete signal range..

Another thought..Is your throttle channel trimmed at all?

Out of curiosity does you meter read anything if you reverse the throttle channel?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Oct 14, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
So did you ever figure out what was wrong and get it flying?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,062 Posts
I think he did and shared over at HeliFreak. I believe it's the same person.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
So did you ever figure out what was wrong and get it flying?
Hi Indoor Heli,
Yes, thanks for your help. I changed my esc back to accepting positive signal and gave the throttle a jumped like you said to let the esc initialized, and it worked. The results were amazing. The total weight of the heli fully loaded was exactly 29 gram. I got 3.5 min of idle up flight with stock battery. Anyway, since I saw that you posted your results at Helifreak sight below,
I've attached my whole project with pictures here. Please take a look. Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:27 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I think he did and shared over at HeliFreak. I believe it's the same person.
I probably should go look over there more often
I kind of like that there are individual forums for every heli but sometimes it makes for a bit much to follow as they can travel fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellimod View Post
Hi Indoor Heli,
Yes, thanks for your help. I changed my esc back to accepting positive signal and gave the throttle a jumped like you said to let the esc initialized, and it worked. The results were amazing. The total weight of the heli fully loaded was exactly 29 gram. I got 3.5 min of idle up flight with stock battery. Anyway, since I saw that you posted your results at Helifreak sight below,
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=459685&page=3
I've attached my whole project with pictures here. Please take a look. Thanks.
Now this is weird when i quote you i see the link but not otherwise....course i cleaned it up so it is clickable.
Glad you got i tall figured out It is always nice when it is turns out to be something that is an easy fix.
I am impressed that with the mcpx frame mod in that you run about stock weight, nice job I was really thinking it would be a bit heavier.

Have you crashed it at all with that frame? I am really curious to how well it holds up mainly because I have a mcpx frame sitting here and I beat my nanos to hell I think I will try the frame mod here in a few days

I just barely rebuilt my brushless today since i went over everything with epoxy after i tightened up the gear mesh. I really wish I could make it adjustable with the stock frame. I just purchased a 180mAH mad dog battery that weighs only .15 above stock so i really hope it can push the 8T pinion decently for a full disharge.

When you get 3.5 minutes of flight how hard are you pushing it?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Oct 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:31 AM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
I probably should go look over there more often
I kind of like that there are individual forums for every heli but sometimes it makes for a bit much to follow as they can travel fast.

Now this is weird when i quote you i see the link but not otherwise....course i cleaned it up so it is clickable.
Glad you got i tall figured out It is always nice when it is turns out to be something that is an easy fix.
I am impressed that with the mcpx frame mod in that you run about stock weight, nice job I was really thinking it would be a bit heavier.

Have you crashed it at all with that frame? I am really curious to how well it holds up mainly because I have a mcpx frame sitting here and I beat my nanos to hell I think I will try the frame mod here in a few days

I just barely rebuilt my brushless today since i went over everything with epoxy after i tightened up the gear mesh. I really wish I could make it adjustable with the stock frame. I just purchased a 180mAH mad dog battery that weighs only .15 above stock so i really hope it can push the 8T pinion decently for a full disharge.

When you get 3.5 minutes of flight how hard are you pushing it?
Hi Indoorheli,
I figured the weight would be pretty even out since the only thing I'm using from the MCP x frame is the motor mount which is flat vs. the bottom motor assembly of the Nano CPx that was removed. Though the MCPx motor mount plate is a tiny heavier than the Nano CPx, the final weight preitty much even out due to the lesser weight of the HP03S & ESC vs. the stock motor. Also you only have to apply tiny bit of CA at three points on the mod frame. BTW, you can cut out the servo mount pegs on the MCPx frame and us them as spacers for the mod frame. I only needed to mount each servo at three points like the MCPx but I made all the mounting point screw. As far as crashing, I've crashed it quite a bit but everythin seem ok so far (I guess the part of the MCPx frame is a little more beafier and can stand more hit) You can also replace the front mounting pin with carbon fiber rod if you want stronger canopy mounting pin up front. As far as the 3.5 min, I'm not anywhwre extreme expert like some of the guys are flying, but I can due the flipped, piro andinverted flying. So I'm at stunt mode but not pushing it like extreme.
Closed Thread