SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:00 AM
Eastern, NC
Joined Apr 2008
533 Posts
Jeff, thanks for the clarification on the solder points. I'll take another swipe at tracing out the path from motor to edge connector.
once I get it conected, what's the best way to power the ESC for testing?
I read in Part 1 about not using batteries in case there's a short. Can I use something really weak like a ruined lipo or even a single AA or will the ESC not operate on that?
That's good advice about the kit from gobrushless also. I may try that soon.
I was planning to change the motor to delta, and may still do so, but I wanted to try it out as-is first so i have something to compare it to. plus, i was having trouble seeing where each wire went. My eyes aren't great.
I just got my ESC in yesterday, so hopefully I'll get a chance to test it tonight.
CX2Mike is offline Find More Posts by CX2Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:26 AM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Your ESC probably won't operate on low voltage. Most ESCs auto-detect the number of battery cells based on battery voltage and will see an extremely low voltage as a dead battery.

In addition, most ESCs have a low voltage cutoff (LVC) feature that cuts or reduces power to the motor when battery voltage gets low. The ESC maintains power to the receiver so that you have a chance to land the plane before the battery is completely depleted. LVC is a particular important feature when you are using lipos, because lipos can be permanently damaged if their voltage is allowed to become too low.

For both of these reasons, I doubt your ESC will operate on an extremely low voltage.

- Jeff
galloping gimp is offline Find More Posts by galloping gimp
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:45 AM
Eastern, NC
Joined Apr 2008
533 Posts
Yeah, I thought the LVC was gonna get me there!
So what's the safest way to power a motor/ESC for testing?
I have lots of computer parts laying around if that helps.
I can do some basic soldering, but I'm certainly no wiz.
I also don't have much cash to sink into it right now, so please no one say "go buy a power supply".
Thanks in advance,
Mike P.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 12:36 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,265 Posts
CX2 mike: Perhaps you might consider simply buying a Hobby King Turnigy 2730 motor for $8 ! Then take it apart and use it as a Kit (although there is the kit version for $12 :-)
I say this because the HK motor has markedly Better parts in it than the basic GB $10 kit. And it comes with prop mount and motor mount Although you will need wire for the HK rewind. Magnets alone for your CDRom motor will come close in price
Sadly it's gotten to the point that assembled motors are far cheaper than their contained parts.
Search through the 2730 "rewind" thread here ..it's a huge Resource
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:12 PM
Eastern, NC
Joined Apr 2008
533 Posts
I plan to just buy motors for most of my planes, I just wanted the fun of pulling apart old CD-ROM drives (which I have several of) and harvesting the motors there.
At this point, I just need some help safely powering the 2 motors I have pulled already.
I have a radio and Rx, an ESC, a multimeter and batteries.
What else do I need to set up a test bed?
Last edited by CX2Mike; Sep 08, 2010 at 03:57 PM.