HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2003, 11:10 PM
INDEPENDENTLY POOR in OHIO
Joined Dec 2001
1,025 Posts
Still having problem

I still have the problem of the stator coming loose from the mounting plate after a several minutes of running. When that happens the motor starts a thumping noise and will lose sync with the controller and either freeze or slow down and make a screecheing sound. .I used 5 min epoxy again and let it cure overnight and also lashed the stator to the mounting plate with kevlar thread

It has been suggested that I try Red Locktite and I will try and get some tomorrow

The latest numbers are: 4 amps, 11.2 volts and 47 watts at WOT

3 to 1 gear drive

I got the 1260 prop spinning at 3200 rpm and it was running smooth untill the stator got hot enough to cause the epoxy bond to fail
I guess that I am trying to get too much out of this small motor, but it's fun to see what can be done
What do you think?---AM I pushing too hard?

Roger aka GIFLYRC
GIFLYRC is offline Find More Posts by GIFLYRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2003, 04:44 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
10,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iva
I do not remember exactly when and where I read it but magnet wire and CA glues should be kept apart. Supposedly CA fumes will weaken or degrade insulation and that may lead to shorts. That process is gradual and it may take some time for insulation to become useless.
Correct!
Ron van Sommeren is online now Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Dec 03, 2003, 05:01 AM
Tokyo, Japan
Joined Nov 2002
855 Posts
Re: Still having problem

ROGER GANTZ,

>AM I pushing too hard?

Did you replace to stronger magnets?

The strong magnets can generate high voltage during rotating.
Then, you can reduce the # of windings on same # of RPM = you can wind with thicker wire for coils.
It means that the you can avoid heat up problem with low resistance coil.

Takao
Takao Shimizu is offline Find More Posts by Takao Shimizu
Last edited by Takao Shimizu; Dec 03, 2003 at 05:05 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2003, 05:32 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron van Sommeren
A dual stator motor should have a higher efficiency than reported here:
Oops. That's my page.. I agree it should be better. Thank you Ron for references, I am checking now...

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Dec 03, 2003, 06:56 AM
Joined Dec 2001
1,025 Posts
Takao Shimizu,
Did you replace to stronger magnets?

I forgot to include that information in my last post, but yes I did.

I am using 12, 5x5x1 N 45's with 30 turns of # 26 wire ( .4mm ? )

Also thinking of changeing the mounting plate to 1/16 th or 1/8 th
( 1.5 or 3mm ? ) aluminum to help heat dissapation

Question,
if I use larger dia. wire and fewer turns; will the current increase for the same applied voltage and at the same RPM?

I have # 22 & # 24 wire I can use

Thanks, Roger
Old Dec 03, 2003, 09:36 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
10,451 Posts
A double and an one-and-a-half stator cd-rom motor:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lrk-to...x/message/3467
Ron van Sommeren is online now Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Dec 03, 2003, 09:45 AM
Parkton, MD
Joined Dec 2000
345 Posts
Re: Still having problem

Quote:
Originally posted by ROGER GANTZ
I still have the problem of the stator coming loose from the mounting plate after a several minutes of running. When that happens the motor starts a thumping noise and will lose sync with the controller and either freeze or slow down and make a screecheing sound. .
Roger

I'm a confused as to how all your pieces are mounted. Is all your mounting through your stator? Or is your stator coming lose from something which is providing the mounting such as a bearing tube?

Did you try a longer cure epoxy and use a 200F cure?

jtm
Jim Miller is offline Find More Posts by Jim Miller
Old Dec 03, 2003, 10:08 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
I agree it should be better.

Measured it again after alligning here and there. A bit better but not good enough.
Code:
Double Stator HECELL 8 cell
APC 5x5   9.49V 3.90A 37.00W 10,980rpm
APC 6x5.5 9.11V 5.60A 51.00W 9,180rpm
Thank you Ron for a good reference as always.

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Last edited by ssatoru; Dec 05, 2003 at 12:12 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2003, 12:54 PM
Joined Dec 2001
1,025 Posts
Re; still having problem

Jim Miller

Thanks for the reply, I will try to explain the layout of the gear box
First of all I did not do the 200f cure having used the 5 min again and allowing to cure overnight

I am using a GWS 300C gearbox that I have " reversed " and the stator is mounted on a plate of formica faceing the rear, The shaft goes through the bell forward, through the stator, towards the propellor and is supported by another support bracket on the " front " of the gearbox housing with the drive shaft passing through a 1/8 guide hole ( no bearing ) terminated in the 22 tooth pinion which in turn drives the 64 tooth spur gear

As indicated previously, this runs good and smooth for several min of operation untill heat build up causes the bond between the stator and the mounting plate to fail. Too hot to touch at 4 amps and 47 watts turning a 12/6 @ 3000 rpm
Sorry about picture clarity, not having good results taking pics close up
Old Dec 03, 2003, 06:13 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
HP 52x CD-ROM motor

I got me a broken HP CD-ROM (52x). Very good motor: dual ball bearings, very strong magnet, easy mounting, 3mm shaft. I will post pictures soon. I decided for now to leave the original magnet in.
My first attempt with 26g wire was not good. I was able to get 16T but enamel on the wire was braking so easy that I got shorts everywhere.
Next I used 2 x 30g wire and was able to get 18T. On 7 x NiMh it didn't run on full throttle (without the propp) because ESC was breaking up - to much rpm (I didn't measure it, but it sounded like the machine in my dentist's office). I tried to put a load on the shaft using my finger (am I stupid or what ) and I burned my skin.
When starts spinning unloaded it drew 0.15A and at screaming rpm it drew about 2.5A. Today I will try to run it on GWS A (or GWS B) drive with the prop.
The mounting is very easy. I glued the shaft support to servo wheel (from standard Hitec servo) and all together fits inside the gearbox (where the original motor goes in). I think I may drill some holes in the back of the rotor for cooling to let the air go through the motor.
Total weight of the geared system is less then 1 oz. I want to use it on my Tiny so with 2x350 LiPo it will be 6 oz total - I hope for static thrust at least 10 oz on GWS 10x4.7 or GWS 9x4.7. I have already tried Razor 300 on this plane and I liked it

I will give the report soon.

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Old Dec 03, 2003, 07:50 PM
Plaistow, NH
Joined Nov 2003
14 Posts
Thanks, Ron.
Cody W is offline Find More Posts by Cody W
Old Dec 03, 2003, 11:41 PM
Laguna Niguel, CA
Joined Sep 2003
3 Posts
ROGER,
"JB WELD" will take 300 or 400 degrees and is very strong, I have used it to mount my motor with no problems. It is avalible at most hardware and automotive shops.
glider+geek is offline Find More Posts by glider+geek
Old Dec 04, 2003, 12:58 AM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
I got my metal lathe a week ago, I'm gearing up to make a can for a single stack cd motor and another one for a dual stack not long after hopefully. This is fun stuff
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old Dec 04, 2003, 01:47 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
CD-ROM HP 52x

Here is the report:
on GWS EPS-300 A (3.75:1), prop GWS slow 8x4.7
8 cells NiCd (9.6V) full throttle = 5.5A, thrust over 8oz
half throttle = 3.5A thrust about 5oz

I don't know RPM, but it's not enough for me. I want more thrust, less Amp. I will put it on GWS EPS-300 B (4.43:1), with 9x4.7 tomorrow. It hope it be OK with 2x 350 LiPo.

There are pictures of this setup

RysiuM

1. Front view
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium