HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2004, 04:12 PM
electron liberator
United States, GA, Suwanee
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Glenn,

I got some at Radio Shack. There was a pack of 3 spools with different gages. I can't remember what the gages are but all three were less than $5.

wire at RS

I actually looked up local stores online and called until I found one that had them in stock.

Jason
jaywatay is offline Find More Posts by jaywatay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2004, 04:21 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
The three sizes of wire in the Radio Shack 3-pack are:

#22 = 0.0254" = 0.64516mm, 40 feet
#26 = 0.0159" = 0.40386mm, 75 feet
#30 = 0.01" = 0.254mm, 200 feet

Catalog #: 278-1345

Another source for magnet wire might be electric motor repair shops. There are still a few of these around.

- Jeff
galloping gimp is offline Find More Posts by galloping gimp
Last edited by galloping gimp; Jan 17, 2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 09:49 AM
Fairport, NY
Joined Jun 2003
394 Posts
Where do you find the .32mm wire? Like a radio shack or something?

Thanks
Napolean B. is offline Find More Posts by Napolean B.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:02 AM
Edmonds Wa. (Seattle)
Joined Nov 2003
3,926 Posts
I get mine in bulk at a electronics supply store. 1 cent a foot.
Look in the phone book all cities have one!
Well if your not in nowhere land.
Scott
littlescreamers.com
Littlescreamers is offline Find More Posts by Littlescreamers
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:24 AM
Miami, FL USA
Joined Feb 2000
89 Posts
Carr-McMasters have many sizes of magnet wire reasonably
priced, but maybe larger quantities than needed for one or two motors. They have many other useable model supplies. Metric
nuts and bolts etc. Cecil
Cecil M Wethy is offline Find More Posts by Cecil M Wethy
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:24 AM
Edmonds Wa. (Seattle)
Joined Nov 2003
3,926 Posts
How about a cd-rom? This is just a few of a very large batch we found. and are happy campers now:
this is 100 sitting here and we need to go and get the rest. Another 100 Bought 20 for samples a few day before and also already had 20-30 on hand that I was working with.
I can't wait for the factory to start sending us our new finnished motors tearing these apart and doing a re-build on them is a pain!
Scott
Littlescreamers.com
Littlescreamers is offline Find More Posts by Littlescreamers
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:42 AM
Fairport, NY
Joined Jun 2003
394 Posts
Where did you get those from? I'll buy a few from you?
Napolean B. is offline Find More Posts by Napolean B.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:47 AM
Miami, FL USA
Joined Feb 2000
89 Posts
Oooops , memory not toooo good. Its McMaster-Carr, Cecil
Cecil M Wethy is offline Find More Posts by Cecil M Wethy
Old Jan 18, 2004, 11:04 AM
E-Flight Addict
Weatherford, Tx.
Joined Oct 2003
1,329 Posts
Tony,
That little one wasn't from a Mitsumi drive or something like that was it? I pulled one yesterday that was all enclosed and looked like a coreless motor until I pried the outer case loose and looked inside.

I went to a local computer surplus with the "list" someone posted in excel format and found :
4pcs. Toshiba 5702B 24mm stator ball bearing cd-rom drives
1pc. Teac cd-55a 20mm stator ball bearing cd-rom drive (small little bugger, this drive is easy to find because it is a half-height drive with a full size faceplate)
4pcs. various non bearing drives good for 20mm cores
4pcs. Mitsumi crmc-fxoo1d for bearing donors
I lucked out and they had a buy one @ full price next is 50% off sale so my total haul was $15 !! I have a lot of machining to do making mounts for these buggers.
Rick
ronin8451 is offline Find More Posts by ronin8451
Old Jan 18, 2004, 11:12 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ronin8451
Tony,
That little one wasn't from a Mitsumi drive or something like that was it? I pulled one yesterday that was all enclosed and looked like a coreless motor until I pried the outer case loose and looked inside.
Rick,

I wasn't paying close attention to the label on the drive, but I think Mitsumi may be right. This one was also enclosed, and at first I thought it was just a cheapie brushed motor until I popped the lid from the enclosure.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 18, 2004, 11:15 AM
Hi Wattage Electrics - Cool
Jordan, Minnesota
Joined Jan 2004
617 Posts
"Where did you get those from? I'll buy a few from you?"

Napolean B.,

I worked a deal with an electronic salvage company, purchasing them by the pound...which comes out to about $1.40 per drive.

They were reluctent at first, but after assuring them I would recycle the remains....(we have a recycle program where I work) they agreed to the deal.

I got 40 drives at the flick of a finger.

hope this helps,
Wayne
Rad Racer is online now Find More Posts by Rad Racer
Old Jan 18, 2004, 05:36 PM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
I'm going to attempt my first motor soon. I think I've grasped an understanding of everything involved - I have one question though.

Some people have been double winding.....what effect does double (or more) winding have, examples:

a 30 turn single wind motor vs a 30 turn double wind motor.

a 30 turn single wind motor vs a 15 turn double wind motor.

I know that wire thickness would be different & cause changes in itself - but can someone have a go at explaining it in this simplistic way assuming that all other variables stay constant.

Thanks

soundman
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
Old Jan 18, 2004, 08:56 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=190257
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Jan 18, 2004, 11:06 PM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
O.k. so after HOURS of reading this stuff. For a geared motor, use the Star winding, for a direct drive motor the Delta winding is better? (I know this is a big generalazation SP) but am I pretty much on the money.

My darn eyeballs hurt from reading and my fingers hurt from winding. To test your winds, after each set of 3 are wound, check with a multimeter for Ohms, or Continuity. Then check Ohms or Continuity between the leads (one at a time) and the stator. There should be none between the stator and the leads.

Then after the next set of 3 are wound, check just like before, but then check between the new set of leads and the first set of leads.

Finally repeat all this with the 3rd and final set of winds. If everything is right, you should have continuity between each end of the same lead, but not to the stator, or any of the other leads. If all that checks out o.k. then you choose your connection pattern (Star or Delta) and then connect your esc for power testing.

Am I right on all this?

Thanks
Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Old Jan 18, 2004, 11:16 PM
Joined Dec 2001
125 Posts
These any good?

Hi,

I had three old cd drives on hand and decided to have a go at doing these brushless motors. Looks interesting...

I'll attach a picture. Two of these are panasonic, one is sony. panasonic's are ball bearing sony is not. What do you think? are these suitable? or would I be better off just buying a better motor to start with? Appreciate the thread and your advise... Thanks, Jeff
Jeff Leavitt is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Leavitt