SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:56 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Here is my little foamy Im building. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=307
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:51 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,005 Posts
Nah

According to the same talk around McD Aerospace, the YF-23 Was Faster and Stealthier.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
On the topic of the 23. That is one awesome bird. Love the look of it and its clean lines. Much nicer than the 22. I heard that supposedly the reason the 23 lost was due to some vortices that would generate off of one wing tip when rolled hard. Supposedly it gave off a huge radar sig when it did it. But then again it could be one of those political BS reasons ya know . Look forward to seeing it come out.

Jason
CRCJA is online now Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:26 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
I heard the reason the Raptor won because of cost, making it better value.
The YF-23 was as expensive to produce as it looked, which is saying a lot considering how expensive the F-22 was.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:38 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,700 Posts
yeah, but little did the gov know, once the 22 was in production, it was going to cost WAY more than it was supposed to. that program wentso far over budget, its nt even funny. one of the reason they cut production numbers more than once. if you look at all the tests, its pretty clear the 23 had the 22 whooped. it was pure political bs. they didnt give northrop the program because we already had the large B-2 contract, and if lockheed didnt win the 22, they would have been in big trouble, since all they had going was the F-117, which by that point, production was coming to a close
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:01 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
The F-16 became a cash cow for Lockheed though, they would have been OK. It was clear the YF-23 was the better aircraft, especially in the looks department. Also, GE had the better engine but people on the hill seem to have an affinity to P&W for some reason. Anyways, I want this plane. Even if I never fly it I want it, it’s been my favorite jet since I was a kid, followed closely by the XB-70. It was awesome going to Wright Patt on my way to OCS to see both of them sitting right next to one another .
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Last edited by scatsob; Oct 09, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:03 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Oh, and can you guys please make a 2x-2.5x scale one too for twin 120mm fans please.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:52 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
The F-16 became a cash cow for Lockheed though, they would have been OK. It was clear the YF-23 was the better aircraft, especially in the looks department. Also, GE had the better engine but people on the hill seem to have an affinity to P&W for some reason. Anyways, I want this plane. Even if I never fly it I want it, itís been my favorite jet since I was a kit, followed closely by the XB-70. It was awesome going to Wright Patt on my way to OCS to see both of them sitting right next to one another .
If you want an XB-70 EDF, Easytiger has a few toysonics 70mm available....they are the last ones I know of for sale...

http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...roducts_id=139
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:53 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,636 Posts
Any idea on a release date and who the distributor might be?
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:11 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Thank you for the link. I saw those when they first came out. If I were going to build an XB-70 it would be from scratch with 6 50mm or 64mm fans. An XB-70 is not an XB-70 without 6 engines .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
If you want an XB-70 EDF, Easytiger has a few toysonics 70mm available....they are the last ones I know of for sale...

http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...roducts_id=139
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:10 PM
American Canyon, CA
Joined Sep 2004
384 Posts
I'm already thinking of buying the FW Euro until I saw this!

gonna wait for this awesome jet!

hopefully the flying characteristics of this jet is the same or better than the f-22 edf...
Zeke0504 is offline Find More Posts by Zeke0504
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:11 AM
Singapore
Joined Dec 2008
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
?.... Even if I never fly it I want it, itís been my favorite jet since I was a kit, followed closely by the XB-70....
My thoughts exactly. She will be my pretty hangar queen. But on second thoughts I will get two. One to thrash in the FF and the other will be the hangar queen..😄
maxcarbon is offline Find More Posts by maxcarbon
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:40 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Looking forward to this YF-23 as well.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:53 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,743 Posts
I love the YF...but LX needs to do better in the quality department.

Hopefully EPO....nor EPS.....and If the retracts and struts are same as usual..... forget it. LX can keep it.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:14 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,287 Posts
I'm all over the YF-23 for sure! Been wanting one for years now.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:16 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,287 Posts
I thought I saw (or read) the the 22 was easier to field service and was slightly cheaper. The YF-22 also launched a missile during the testing where the 23 didn't and it was having some issues with it's weapon bay doors. Also no thrust vectoring and they didn't want another F-4 issue on their hands trying to retro fitVT like the F-4 did with its cannon. Northrop claimed it didn't need it or something to that effect. Also Northrop only meet the minimum requirements and Lockheed went above them with a more conventional platform. Some argue that the shape of the 23 would have been really costly to develop, others argue that if the 23 had been chosen it would be able to survive on the front lines a lot longer than the 22 will be able to.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge