HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:15 PM
"In Thrust I Trust"
United States, GA, College Park
Joined Nov 2011
181 Posts
What keeps the brake hub from rotating? The Air Brakes hub has a slot for the strut.
Could you post a video of the brake system working on a 15-25 pound aircraft? Shulman Aviation video is a foamie aircraft.

Desert Fox Heli
Desert Fox is offline Find More Posts by Desert Fox
Last edited by Desert Fox; Dec 13, 2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: still waiting for reply added another question
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH
Anyone know if these will be available for the Habu 32 that will fit the tamjets struts?

Tamjet Strut Diameter: 0.137 in (3.5mm)

Yes, it can fit in Habu 32, and our standard axles Dia 3mm/4mm/5mm

For any special axle you need for your Jets.

Please contact our dealer in USA ( Shulman Aviation)

Thanks

Yes, you can select axle size to fit Habu 32 but the issue is that the smallest tire is 2" and that is too big for the H32 which has stock tire size of less than 1.75". Is it possible to get them in that size or is 2" the smallest?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,872 Posts
My two sets arrived today. The quality of these alloy wheels with built in bearings is excellent.
Can't wait to try them in my Starmax F-16. As expected, they are a bit of extra weight but well worth it.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Aug 2005
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Fox Heli View Post
What keeps the brake hub from rotating? The Air Brakes hub has a slot for the strut.
Could you post a video of the brake system working on a 15-25 pound aircraft? Shulman Aviation video is a foamie aircraft.

Desert Fox Heli
Hi Desert Fox: I think we spoke on the phone last week about the Em~Brakes. FYI, the A-26 in our video is an ARF, made from balsa/lite ply, and fiberglass--it is not a foamie.
The plane weighs 12 pounds and is powered by 2-Fury SA-41's (same power as a glow 40). Check out the video again and you can see the 'holding power' of the Em~Brakes-which are made by Taiwan-Tornado.
Shulman Em~Brakes (1 min 18 sec)

We currently have every size wheel and axle diameter in stock, plus accessories and spare parts. You can see them at:
shulmanaviation.com

BTW, the axle is held into the strut with 1 or 2 set screws, which prevent the brake from spinning.
Thanks, Don
DON SHULMAN is offline Find More Posts by DON SHULMAN
Last edited by DON SHULMAN; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:09 PM
"In Thrust I Trust"
United States, GA, College Park
Joined Nov 2011
181 Posts
Don,
You are correct, that was me. I was glad you called, I had been waiting for a reply here. I have a couple of follow up questions. Do the tires have treads and is the tire (rubber material) user replaceable?

Desert Fox Heli
Desert Fox is offline Find More Posts by Desert Fox
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:28 AM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,604 Posts
Great video Don!! They work really good too..
Thanks Billy D
BILLYDSRC is offline Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Old May 03, 2013, 06:30 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
746 Posts
Just curious,

1. May I ask how u hold the wheel to the struct when there is no thread on the wheel shaft itself in the newer version brake system? esp on a taft viper jet...Can anyone share a pic of your wheel brake installation? Greatly appreciate it.

2. And what is the different between using a 7.4v pack vs tapping the power from a 6S pack? more braking power?

3. Can the new version braking system, able to adjust any braking capacity?

Pls advise.
viperviper is online now Find More Posts by viperviper
Old May 03, 2013, 09:41 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,872 Posts
I am using these electric brakes in my FW 262, and my 90mm Starmax F16. I was going to use the balance lead from my 6s battery to power them but was told it is not recommended (and to use a separate 2s pack). A very small 2s pack made from a couple micro helicopter batteries seems to be working fine. There is no control of the braking power, just ON or OFF. Perhaps the newer ones are different. My F16 brakes seemed to grab very strong, so I reduced their effectiveness by placing a thin brass shim inside the hub which give me the amount to stoping power I want.
The axles are smooth but are held into each leg with the typical set screws that hold an axle. There are a couple bolts that stick out of each hub that end up straddling the gear leg and will prevent any possibility of the hub turning.
Very happy with my 60 and 65mm versions, but I do think the price is rather high.
A total of 200g extra weight can be expected with this system (assuming a very small 2s battery).
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2013, 09:48 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
I am using these electric brakes in my FW 262, and my 90mm Starmax F16. I was going to use the balance lead from my 6s battery to power them but was told it is not recommended (and to use a separate 2s pack). A very small 2s pack made from a couple micro helicopter batteries seems to be working fine. There is no control of the braking power, just ON or OFF. Perhaps the newer ones are different. My F16 brakes seemed to grab very strong, so I reduced their effectiveness by placing a thin brass shim inside the hub which give me the amount to stoping power I want.
The axles are smooth but are held into each leg with the typical set screws that hold an axle. There are a couple bolts that stick out of each hub that end up straddling the gear leg and will prevent any possibility of the hub turning.
Very happy with my 60 and 65mm versions, but I do think the price is rather high.
A total of 200g extra weight can be expected with this system (assuming a very small 2s battery).
Do you have any idea why it isnt recommended to use the balance lead?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old May 03, 2013, 09:58 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
746 Posts
Is 2S pack enough for the braking...anyone use it before.

I may go for 3S..
Old May 03, 2013, 10:17 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,872 Posts
Don't know why the balance lead is NOT recommended.
2S is more than enough (1s doesn't work) and I haven't tried 3S.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2013, 10:20 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
746 Posts
Quote:
Don't know why the balance lead is NOT recommended.
2S is more than enough (1s doesn't work) and I haven't tried 3S.
Thanks 4Stripes. oh ok. may i ask how heavy is your jet and the stopping distance? pls advise. tks!

And which TX switch u tied to?

Taking this oppty to take mw46mw46 who whatsapp me for answering my queries i raised previously. tks.
Old May 03, 2013, 10:20 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,872 Posts
One thing that could be improved upon is than the brakes should not be applied when the receiver is not powered. As they come, the brakes are applied until you power up the receiver to select them off.
If you forget to disconnect the battery supply to the brakes after disconnecting your flight pack, the battery will be emptied completely.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2013, 10:22 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,872 Posts
My F-16 is rather porky at around 3.7kg. Never measured stopping distance but guess around 75feet in no wind. If I removed the brass shims, I'm sure it will stop in 40 feet .
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2013, 10:26 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
746 Posts
Quote:
My F-16 is rather porky at around 3.7kg. Never measured stopping distance but guess around 75feet in no wind. If I removed the brass shims, I'm sure it will stop in 40 feet .
12 meters... very long stopping distance..