HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Discussion
weird dx6i to dx5e buddy box issue

im using the 6i as the master and 5e as slave. i made sure all servo reversing was the same and hooked them up.

when i hold the trainer on the master to pass control to the slave (testing on my axn)
the motor on the plane spins up full throttle. the throttle sticks are bottom on both tx's and the trims are set to minimum on both tx's, all servos are running the same way.

i dont get it!!

the only way i have found to stop this happening is by putting about 10 clicks up on the throttle trim on the slave. with this configuration when i pass control to the 5e the motor does not spin up until i move the 5e throttle stick.

it would appear i dont have full throttle range through the 5e either.
took my brother out for a quick lesson (should not have bothered,wind picked up as soon as i got there)
trimmed it out for him,got it level and high and pulled the switch. there was a noticeable drop in motor rpms, even though his throttle stick was in exactly the same position as mine.this happened throughout the stick movement range and his full throttle was about equal to my stick being at 3/4,maybe even a bit less.

have no idea whats going on and could really do with some pointers as to what it might be,im out of ideas now!

thanks
mrmurder1975 is offline Find More Posts by mrmurder1975
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:25 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,306 Posts
make sure the throttle channel on the 5 is set to the same direction as the 6.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
make sure the throttle channel on the 5 is set to the same direction as the 6.
hiya mate,yep, all reversing is matched on both tx's. im starting to wonder if the 5e is faulty..but dont really know what kind of defect with the tx would cause the issues im having.
thanks for your input,much appreciated.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:57 AM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
I don't think since I try it too that it is possible unless all the trims would be the same etc.. I didn't succed..so I am looking here at what others may come with, so far we are 2 that didn't work.
Only thing I didn't try yet is having the DX5 as a master then it's very limited..
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
i have asked this same question on another forum i use and someone has said this.....

''A little Google-ing shows there to be an issue between the DX6 and the DX5 when buddy boxing and using the DX5 as the slave. If you use the DX5 as the master you will be good to go by all accounts, just means you have the hastle of rebinding every now and again.'

im trying to find some info as we speak,not having much luck though
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:26 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,827 Posts
The best way to set up buddy box is to use the servo monitor screen and adjust the slave's sub-trim and travel adjustment so no visible channel movement is seen on the monitor of the master when you switch over controls to slave.

Since the dx5e does have any of these adjustments it would be better if the dx5e was the master and the dx6i the slave. You could easily match the dx6i to the dx5e
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:37 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurder1975 View Post
i have asked this same question on another forum i use and someone has said this.....

''A little Google-ing shows there to be an issue between the DX6 and the DX5 when buddy boxing and using the DX5 as the slave. If you use the DX5 as the master you will be good to go by all accounts, just means you have the hastle of rebinding every now and again.'

im trying to find some info as we speak,not having much luck though
The local hobby shop guy said the same thing, DX6 as master and DX5 as buddy does not work properly.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
ok thanks gents. anyone else think spektrum dropped the ball on this one? why have they not resolved this issue a long time ago? considering how many people use the 6i/5e combo to teach others,they should make sure they are compatible.
surely it would be a much better business practise to have all their tx's compatible,training wise,with each other.after all,they all run on the same software as far as i know.

now ive just bought a 5e that is basically useless to me. dont really want to be handing over my 6i to my young boys,or my brother for that matter. id only feel comfortable letting another pilot use it,not someone who does not have a clue!
i guess the only way to utilise the 5e is to bind it just to the plane i am training them on,saving me from having to rebind my 6i every 5 mins! of course,this does not solve the issue of having to hand over my 6i to the newbs!!

wish id gone for the 4e now :0/
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Well, I'm in the market for another TX for buddyboxing, I have a DX5e myself.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
From the related threads shown at the bottom of the page-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1101952
"I had trouble when using the same setup as it would throttle up randomly when switched to trainer control. I had set all the reversing the same, so I was baffled for a while. Turns out my throttle trim on the dx5e was a couple clicks above neutral. On the off chance something like this happens to you, you know at least one thing to check."

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004674
"I've just got a DX5e to link to my existing DX6i. With the 6i as the master the motor starts spinning when the trainer switch is pulled. The settings on the 5e cannot adjust the motor to a low enough value to switch it off. Well, there is one way I found to do it. If I reverse the throttle on the 5e and move the throttle stick fully up it then works fine...pulling the throttle stick backwards makes the motor start and pushing it forwards stops it. I've tried it on a couple of models and it does the same.

Re-binding the model to the 5e and using it as the master and the 6i as the slave works fine."
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
thanks for that dave. i have a dx5e for sale if you are interested!! lol

whats that in your sig about a fatal flaw? im intrigued....

also that last paragraph in your post intrigues me....if you can reverse the throttle and have top stick as zero throttle and bottom as 100%, i wonder if you could set it like that and open up the tx and flip the gimble 180*,making the stick work in the right direction again.?

mind you,that would not solve the lack of throttle response the 5e is giving me.
looks like the only way around it is to use the 6i as slave. something i really didnt want to do.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I don't know anything about this problem except what I was able to post up from other threads, I'm afraid.

The DX5 fatal flaw is a crappy cheesy sliding power switch, it is prone to glitching the power or even just shutting the power off.

On mine it glitched the power fast enough to kill the TX (locked up the microprocessor, I think), without the LEDs going out and without it playing the startup tones.

On mine I just soldered wire across the ON position of DPDT switch position (after removing the switch) and added another toggle switch in series with the battery. I can't use it as a slave that way though, the power switch connects internal circuits while in the 'off' position for slave use.

The test for the switch problem is to bind to your plane and then tap the power switch and TX case, and very very slightly nudge the power switch in the 'off' direction.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
I don't know anything about this problem except what I was able to post up from other threads, I'm afraid.

The DX5 fatal flaw is a crappy cheesy sliding power switch, it is prone to glitching the power or even just shutting the power off.

On mine it glitched the power fast enough to kill the TX (locked up the microprocessor, I think), without the LEDs going out and without it playing the startup tones.

On mine I just soldered wire across the ON position of DPDT switch position (after removing the switch) and added another toggle switch in series with the battery. I can't use it as a slave that way though, the power switch connects internal circuits while in the 'off' position for slave use.

The test for the switch problem is to bind to your plane and then tap the power switch and TX case, and very very slightly nudge the power switch in the 'off' direction.

thanks for the heads up mate. just tried that with mine. mine seems to be ok. small mercy's huh!
will have to make do with the 5e for now by the looks of it until i can save up some pennys for the 4e (i assume this issue does not occur with the 4e as well?!)
fwiw,i emailed horizon uk earlier explaing my problems. you never know,maybe they can suggest a fix?! long shot i know as i doubt im the first to contact them about it.....and prob not the last either!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Maybe you just need to tweak the trim as in that one post?