HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:55 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,361 Posts
Rob, our patience is not at issue here We will just sit and enjoy.

The contrast between the flying version and museum will be an education in itself.

Charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:36 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,006 Posts
HI Rob,
Still big fan of your work even if every time I take a look I feel sic about how I build.. cant wait to see the progress
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:31 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,258 Posts
Know what you mean. I'm on my way out to buy a big hammer.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Hi Rob, Great build, I love the old warbirds! I was just wondering if you could post a pic (whenever you get the chance) of the antique solartex and the linen solartex side by side or on top of one another. I am trying to get an idea for the difference between the two. Thank you so much, and if it is too much trouble don't worry about it.

-Greg
gjap is offline Find More Posts by gjap
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,167 Posts
Good to see you back at work on a wonderful model, and to see you in better health..

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:44 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjap View Post
Hi Rob, Great build, I love the old warbirds! I was just wondering if you could post a pic (whenever you get the chance) of the antique solartex and the linen solartex side by side or on top of one another. I am trying to get an idea for the difference between the two. Thank you so much, and if it is too much trouble don't worry about it.

-Greg
heres a quick photo, the linen on the left is opauqe and leans to a red/yellow where as the antique is tranlucent and lacks the red pigment of linen. hope this helps.
spikkkkkkkk is offline Find More Posts by spikkkkkkkk
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:55 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
1/12 scale sopwith pup

believe it or not i'm almost finished with the first version, let's call it a animated model and will be starting the flying version in a week or two matt. i did this first build differently in that i did the build and saved the pics as i went along so i will be posting them all within the next day or two in some kind of chronilogical order. the first set of pics is of the fuse frame and tail skid. everything is built as close to the real plane as possible with the exceptions of the framework which will be covered.the smallest elastic cord i could find seemed to large and to stiff to get the action on the skid more scale so i found a way to retrieve the inner strands in nice long lengths and used four of them bound and twisted and works awesome.
Last edited by spikkkkkkkk; Oct 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,118 Posts
Rob, your craftsmanship is just fantastic. I wish I had your patience and skill.

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:19 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
pup tail sections

the next pics are of the stab, elev. and tail sections. i used 1/32"x3/32" bass strips as lamina to make the outer sections around a template of waxed lite ply. aside from some rigging hardware which will be brass all the metal work will be made or etched from aluminum. such as the control horns. the horns are 0.024 thick alloyed alum.BTW that is carbon fiber.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:32 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
pup instrument panel

this group of pics is of the instrument panel. still a few things to add.there is also a large group of pics of the fuse and interior of the cockpit, throttle etc.some of the servo locations will be different on the pup flyer. i know that some pups had a wicker seat but this particular design from a plane in a museum in england had the bullet proof seat.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:37 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
mick reeves pup plans

here are a couple of pics of the mick reeves pup plans i'm useing for a basis for the build.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:29 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
landing gear and cowl

the landing gear was made from streamlined aluminum with a alloyed aluminum rod core through out. the axels are brass tube hinged in the center. the cowl, well that's another story. i wanted to make a spun alum. cowl but only had enough stock for 8 attempts. spinning alum. is not as easy as they make it look and i have kind of a makeshift set-up attached to the lathe to do this. i ended up for now on this proto type making a glass cowl which isn't bad but i want a spun alum. cowl so on the pup flyer i'll attempt this again. i know that if i have the right kind of stock and i refine my set-up i can produce one and in time like etching i can master it. again charlie thanks so much for the lathe, i will make good use of it.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:32 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG97322 View Post
Rob, your craftsmanship is just fantastic. I wish I had your patience and skill.

George
thanks george.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:57 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikkkkkkkk View Post
...will be starting the flying version in a week or two matt...
Incredible progress!

I look forward to committing your work to the skies.

-Matt
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:51 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
side stitching

a few pics on how i aproached the stitching on the sides of fuselage. i etched the panels in 3 sections and cold welded them together. i ended up useing the full panel opposed to a thin border. this particular stock is 0.004 thick and bends very easily. i ironed down the fabric onto the aluminum and then stitched with kevlar thread glueing from the rear every tenth hole. after that was done i anchored the alum. section with the fabric ironed on into position with contact cement and then just pulled taught and ironed to frame as if were just a piece of fabric,and shrunk with a heat gun.