SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:28 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
When I read Roadrunner it reminds me of Jr Walker and the All Stars, another Dozier etc masterpiece of course.
I was more of a "Shotgun" fan. I love those oldies!

Progress on the wingtips....
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:24 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,658 Posts
That's nice Pete, looks like those tips were very satisfying to carve to shape!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
That's nice Pete, looks like those tips were very satisfying to carve to shape!
The tips were fun to make pretty easy to do. I used soft wood, which helped.

I'll be using adjustable leadouts on this bird. Made a leadout slider assembly and installed it, and lengthened the leadout holes in the inboard ribs. Finished up the wingtips and installed the rear stub spars.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
I have had the MAN plan for years and thinking about this as the winter project. see you have rib templates where did you get them from? i just love the lines of the Road Runner.
mhwingard is offline Find More Posts by mhwingard
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:16 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,535 Posts
What a beautiful stunt ship. Excellent choice.
Watching with interest. If it were mine, I’d be looking at a little more power than a regular Fox .35, unless you are building super light. I had a Sterling “Ruffy” kit that came out a little heavy. I tried a Fox .29 and ended up having the Ruffy fall in on the lines. A rebuild and a Fox .40 worked out ok.
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:37 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Its getting there!!
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:33 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspar View Post
Thanks all for your comments.

A lot of model history is summed up in that 1967 magazine cover. Monokote was new, and strongly resisted by many traditionalists. Yes, people still covered their models with stuff called tissue or silk and finished them with dope. You can Google that. BTW, when Monokote was first introduced, it could not be used over open bay structures. One had to cover the structure with tissue first. Finally, tuned exhaust pipes are hailed as the "scoop of the century", having never been used on model engines.
Yes Monokote was new. It was introduced in 1966. It was stiff, hard and heavy. It had a horrible sticky adhesive. It took no compound curves and the worst of all, it sagged after exposing to sunlight for long periods of time. Top Flite suggested a pre covering with Silkspan tissue and then apply it. And finally in 1968 came Super Monokote with dry adhesive and all the fantastic features we all know. No doubt it is still being made and in several more colours!!
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:28 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,535 Posts
Looking good.
Love the invert and cowl.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:15 PM
Joined Sep 2007
497 Posts
Beautiful model and fantastic craftsmanship!
I'm following with great interest this thread since the beginning.
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:39 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,006 Posts
Thanks, all. The build continues. Hinged and mounted the stabilizer, did some more shaping of the cowl and built the rear fuselage structure. The plans call for carved balsa blocks for the top rear fuselage, but I opted to make this from formers, stringers and sheeting.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:21 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,535 Posts
Brokenspar, your Roadrunner (my first thought is 426 hemi) is looking better all the time. Looks great. Very nice build. The lines are very graceful. Silk and dope?
Have you decided on a colour and trim scheme or are you going to use Melton’s colour scheme?
I like your lead out slider assembly, thanks for a future reference.
Oh, and where are you getting U/C fittings, ie) bell cranks. I found that Tower H. stocks Perfect and Fox units. I’ll be needing a couple.
John
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:35 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,006 Posts
Thanks, JohnAV8R. Luckily, my local hobby shop stocks bellcranks and elevator horns. As you've noted, Tower carries a few control line items, and another good source is Brodak:

www.brodak.com

I didn't show it clearly in the photos, but I'm using home-made flap horns.

For covering, I'm leaning towards silk for the wings, and an epoxy finish for the fuselage and tail. No idea yet of a trim scheme.

P
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:49 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,006 Posts
Finished the aft fuselage structure and did some more sanding and filling. Also tweaked the cowl for a better fit. The cowl is held on with four pairs of rare earth magnets and is aligned with short stubs of music wire. These little magnets are very strong, but I'm not sure if they'll hold up to engine vibration. If not, I'll add some machine screw retainers later.

I won't glue on the fin and rudder until the fuselage is completely filled and sanded, but I did temporarily pin them in place so I could admire things. Quite a bit of work remains, but this beast is starting to look like a flyin' machine.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:34 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,006 Posts
Covered the wings with medium weight silk. I applied it wet and it shrunk nicely. I just have one coat of nitrate dope on so far, so the coverage isn't very even. The pics don't show things clearly, but the silk is a very light blue. I'll probably use a dark contrasting color for the fuselage and tail.