HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JamesNeal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:52 AM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,440 Posts
Lets all act like men and not start an argument over such a silly provoked topic.

Oh wait...

Too late.
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:16 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
I have an arm safe dealy for my electric Spacewalker .10, and it is nice knowing that if I have the arm safe button sitting on the bench not plugged in, I can plug my battery in with the TX off with no worries anything will happen. I glance over to the unplugged arming plug several times though just to make sure. So on that plane I can have the battery totally hooked up first, then turn on the radio, then plug in the arming plug when everything is ready to go and the plane is on the ground. I just wish they didn't cost 14 dollars and require an hour of extra soldering and wiring. I only have one other electric at the moment and am wishing I had an arming plug for it too though. Probably will be a good idea to rig one up because sooner or later I will forget and plug the battery in to it without turning the TX on first.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:43 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
you can always tell a Texan, cause you cant tell them nothing.
Another cheap shot! This guy really doesn't like his Texans
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microflitedude View Post
Lets all act like men and not start an argument over such a silly provoked topic.
That is funny all by itself...
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:03 PM
Respect my AUTHORIFLYHHHH !!
Joined Sep 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Is it just me or is it NOT OK to go to the flying field and have a "few brewski's" before flying??!!!! Don't know about you, but I don't wanna be around anyone flying a 2 lb+ plane with a spinning prop who is on his way to being drunk. That's not bragging that's just dumb.

No man it's only dumb if you can't run fast ,if any negative shiz goes down a brothers got to Usain it out of there !
Nutha tip for the newbie young blood, don't right ID on your gear man.

SouthParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by SouthParkflyer
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:40 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthParkflyer View Post
No man it's only dumb if you can't run fast ,if any negative shiz goes down a brothers got to Usain it out of there !
Nutha tip for the newbie young blood, don't right ID on your gear man.

(I hope...)

CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:17 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
here is my 2,

You honestly have more of a chance to be hit by lightning then ending up in the ER with stitches because of a R/C anything.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
here is my 2,

You honestly have more of a chance to be hit by lightning then ending up in the ER with stitches because of a R/C anything.
really ?? is that from your many years of experience ?? someone is NOT paying attention.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:29 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
here is my 2,

Where did you get that info? I would love to see proof.

It happens all the time. Not with any one individual, but around the world. EDF units fail, carelessly reaching for the needle valve on engines, bumping the throttle on the TX, etc.

I witnessed my friend get his hand torn up while adjusting a Fox .40. It wasn't pretty...

Don't kid yourself.
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
Yea, from the decade I have been doing this. I have caught props with my fingers and ended up with some nice scars. But the thought that these planes and helis are a serious danger to anyone is a joke. I can see it being a problem if a beginner starts with a 450 size heli or starts with a plane they are not ready for they might get hurt. I have seen accidents and freak occurrences that usually end in some missing skin and blood but they are few and far between.

And the same goes for RCs as everything else. There are certain things you do and dont do. Bad things happen when you get complacent. Kinda like reaching for a needle valve when the engine is running or leaving a tx on and not paying attention to the person walking up and start playing with it and the plane is powered on.

Most people get a close call, some get bit. It happens.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by verticalspark; Oct 08, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:31 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
325 Posts
Here is another take on it. Forget whether or not you think someone could get hurt. What does the mother of little Sally, who is playing in the park, think? All it takes is her going to someone in the town who has a sympathetic ear, has seen pictures of someones sliced open hand, or has heard of the "dangers" of r/c planes, and then you have a knee-jerk reaction banning flying anyplace in the town. It might sound far-fetched, but when the towns think that a situation exists that could cause them liability, they will act. Just because you don't want to take it seriously doesn't mean somebody else won't.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:18 AM
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
But that problem can be said about literally almost everything. Cars, motorcycles, guns, tools, and toys with small parts to name a few. Its all about ignorance and the ability to not want to learn. Thats why when I have a family walk up to me when Im flying and start to ask questions about it I talk to them.

I do understand that this could be and probably is a problem in some small town and possibly a big town. But just because someone perceives something does not make it true. I have flown my planes and helis in everything from empty parking lots to parks in downtown and had conversations with hundreds if not thousands of people and not had a problem. Now do you think I am doing high speed low inverted passes in the middle of the city? No, because that would be irresponsible and cause people to second guess if they are dangerous.

I have had one person legitimately ask if they were dangerous. And my answer was simple, "Ma,am anything can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing."
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:04 AM
Tellin' it like it is!
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Sorry some fellaz got cut up but think of it like this - someone's gotta take one for the team! The whole RC game is still a helluva lot safer than fishing, yet people can just walk down a pier and do that!

Don't understand the love of IC engines though, sheesh, what's with that stuff?! Dirty, smelly, noisy and unreliable! People talk about the great "sound of IC" models, but I don't get that either. They sound like a two-stroke whipper-snipper and I've never heard a full size plane that sounds like a garden tool!

Go electric any time you can, yo!
JamesNeal is offline Find More Posts by JamesNeal
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:29 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
I have an arm safe dealy for my electric Spacewalker .10, and it is nice knowing that if I have the arm safe button sitting on the bench not plugged in, I can plug my battery in with the TX off with no worries anything will happen. I glance over to the unplugged arming plug several times though just to make sure. So on that plane I can have the battery totally hooked up first, then turn on the radio, then plug in the arming plug when everything is ready to go and the plane is on the ground. I just wish they didn't cost 14 dollars and require an hour of extra soldering and wiring. I only have one other electric at the moment and am wishing I had an arming plug for it too though. Probably will be a good idea to rig one up because sooner or later I will forget and plug the battery in to it without turning the TX on first.
Don't have an arm safe, but I do use throttle hold to kill the motor.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:30 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNeal View Post
Sorry some fellaz got cut up but think of it like this - someone's gotta take one for the team! The whole RC game is still a helluva lot safer than fishing, yet people can just walk down a pier and do that!

Don't understand the love of IC engines though, sheesh, what's with that stuff?! Dirty, smelly, noisy and unreliable! People talk about the great "sound of IC" models, but I don't get that either. They sound like a two-stroke whipper-snipper and I've never heard a full size plane that sounds like a garden tool!

Go electric any time you can, yo!
How can rc be safer than fishing? Other than hook injuries which require far fewer trips to the er, I know cause I've had to cut n push several hooks from my skin that trips to the er aren't needed as long as your tetanus is up to date.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...