HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JamesNeal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:18 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,442 Posts
Attacks aside, I think it is a valid topic, can you be too safe? Can you be less safe and have more fun?

I think Logan4169 hit on a valid point in http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=255

We were kind of lumping all models together and not really distinguishing a difference. Is there a difference between flying a 2 - 3 lb edf at a park vs a 10 oz yak or similar?
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Attacks aside, I think it is a valid topic, can you be too safe? Can you be less safe and have more fun?

I think Logan4169 hit on a valid point in http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=255

We were kind of lumping all models together and not really distinguishing a difference. Is there a difference between flying a 2 - 3 lb edf at a park vs a 10 oz yak or similar?
Actually, dedStik, that's been my point, and the reason I'm in this thread. It's the reason I have continued to fly my Slow Stick rather than rebuild my Radian. I consider the Slow Stick to be more harmless than the Radian so long as I cut the throttle before any contact could be made with anything. But although a Radian is more than twice as heavy, even it is not that much of a danger to others.

A large part of operating safely is the selection of a place to fly. People who are not there cannot be hurt. I avoid public parks in favor of private land for that reason.

My favorite plane to fly in a crowded condition is my Vapor. I can weave in and out of trees, and through them. If I hit a tree or a person, for that matter, the plane bounces off and resumes flying. It's so quiet that I can fly three feet over someone's head and they won't even hear me. With that plane the hazard is 100% to the plane, zero for the rest of the universe.

I'd like to find something between the Slow Stick and the Vapor though. Boomerace designed a smaller plane he called the Cul-de-Sac flyer and I'd like to build one in his memory. I think it would be perfect and perfectly harmless. A small profile 3D plane would be similarly fun and harmless.

I sneer in someone's general direction.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:28 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,427 Posts
I know! Let's start an Autonomous Vehicle Competition for cars, AIRPLANES AND EVEN HELICOPTERS!!!!! (check out my rad exclamation points!!!!) And then lets invite several thousand cheering members of the public to observe the carnage and offer cash to winners to attract tons of kamikaze competitors! Lighten up everyone! Have fun! Don't worry about it! Just for kicks we'll run some cars and planes into the crowd. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?
SparkFun AVC 2012 Recap! (3 min 57 sec)
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Oct 16, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
How odd you throw class into the mix, you must be either middle or lower class, in which case I'd say wow, you are just like me.

I work for a living. I spent years working outside with my hands.

I'm not offended you called me a twit in the least or implied I'm sanctimonious, but I do take offense to being called upper class as I'm nowhere close.
I didn't throw class into anything and never would , that's what the picture is from , Geez is this cretin central or what .
Monty Python - Upper-Class Twit of the Year (4 min 26 sec)

The original posting was wrong anyway it should have had Mr Cleese sitting at a desk .
The twit sketch is from the film 'And now for something completely different'that parts correct.
Sorry it's all gone over your head , that's not really my fault though

Monty Python - "And Now For Something Completely Different" (0 min 16 sec)
OneLastweedle is offline Find More Posts by OneLastweedle
Last edited by OneLastweedle; Oct 16, 2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastweedle View Post
I didn't throw class into anything and never would , that's what the picture is from ,
I mistook that post.
Quote:
Geez is this cretin central or what .
Actually, sort of. My grandfather is Cretan.
Quote:
The original posting was wrong anyway it should have had Mr Cleese sitting at a desk .
Sorry it's all gone over your head , that's not really my fault though
I know, I just liked the caption. Probably the only reason it got thrown up there by me was what RR said about something different and I had just happened to watch Meaning of Life before work this morning.

Was that RR's Vapor that just went over my head or the Upper Class Twit skit? I'll have to say the skit.

I apologize for that post, I had it completely wrong.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:16 PM
USA, NY, Syracuse
Joined Jul 2010
152 Posts
Yeah, chill, dudedog!

One thing about argumentative members and trolls is that they don't seem to realize how foolish they look to the general population. That's kind of funny, and pathetic at the same time.

I think these guys have been handled pretty politely here. I'm a moderator on a couple of other forums, and deal with this kind of thing from time to time (though, we have to put up with spammers a lot more often). In the 5 or 6 years I've been doing this, I've never seen a confrontational or headstrong member stop and reconsider their position. I guess that's one thing that makes them so easy to spot. That and the insults.

Usually we give them a warning or two, and then just ban them and forget them.

Tom
tr4252 is offline Find More Posts by tr4252
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
I mistook that post.
Actually, sort of. My grandfather is Cretan.

I know, I just liked the caption. Probably the only reason it got thrown up there by me was what RR said about something different and I had just happened to watch Meaning of Life before work this morning.

Was that RR's Vapor that just went over my head or the Upper Class Twit skit? I'll have to say the skit.

I apologize for that post, I had it completely wrong.
Just as long as you know I'm not throwing 'class ' around as a put down
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:20 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedstik View Post
i know, i just liked the caption. Probably the only reason it got thrown up there by me was what rr said about something different and i had just happened to watch meaning of life before work this morning.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastweedle View Post
Just as long as you know I'm not throwing 'class ' around as a put down
I do now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
Space power
United States, IA, Hampton
Joined May 2012
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Careful we don't want another misunderstanding due to movie references. By the way that's the answer to "life the universe and everything"
cfircav8r is offline Find More Posts by cfircav8r
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:46 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Google knows it...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=the+answer+to+t...and+everything

But it is worthless without the question...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+do+you+get...ly+six+by+nine
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4252 View Post
Yeah, chill, dudedog!
One thing about argumentative members and trolls is that they don't seem to realize how foolish they look to the general population. That's kind of funny, and pathetic at the same time.
. I'm a moderator on a couple of other forums,never seen a confrontational or headstrong member stop and reconsider their position.
Tom
' Looking foolish', you mean kinda like a moderator "dudedogging" it up on a Troll thread ?

A Troll is more likely to "reconsider their position" because there is, usually ,no conviction in what they are saying/claiming.

If running with the Fox and hunting with the Hounds gets a reaction they'll go with it.

You sure you're a moderator ?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Actually, dedStik, that's been my point, and the reason I'm in this thread. It's the reason I have continued to fly my Slow Stick rather than rebuild my Radian. I consider the Slow Stick to be more harmless than the Radian so long as I cut the throttle before any contact could be made with anything. But although a Radian is more than twice as heavy, even it is not that much of a danger to others.
My favorite plane to fly in a crowded condition is my Vapor. I can weave in and out of trees, and through them. If I hit a tree or a person, for that matter, the plane bounces off and resumes flying. It's so quiet that I can fly three feet over someone's head and they won't even hear me. With that plane the hazard is 100% to the plane, zero for the rest of the universe.
A small profile 3D plane would be similarly fun and harmless.
"More harmless" LOL tell me, is there also a "chance that definitely might be true" ?

RR, you've got to be Trolling now surely ?

Thought you'd reached your silliest low already but I see you're still on the descent

I brought my Vapor second hand 2 years back.
Reason the guy was selling it cheap ? He was 'Harmlessly' flying it in his back garden one day when a small wind gust blew it off course .It hit his 2yo daughter in the face ,prop cut her cheek 2 inches from her eye, a trip to the ER and 4 stitches later his wife was so pee'd off she was making him sell it.
Funny thing to happen with something that's "Fun & Harmless" ??

As for "cutting the throttle prior to any contact being made"
Really doesn't even deserve a comment , asinine was used once already in this thread, that about sums that up.

Last edited by OneLastweedle; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:28 PM
Respect my AUTHORIFLYHHHH !!
Joined Sep 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
What's this dog, you trying to suss how many Brewski's I chugged last weekend
Or was that your score when you tried to get into Mensa last time Bro ?

SouthParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by SouthParkflyer
Last edited by SouthParkflyer; Oct 17, 2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,110 Posts
"Or was that your score when you tried to get into Mensa last time"

The problem in general here is EQ more so than IQ I suspect...

But please continue, it's becoming quite epic in a small kinda way
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly